08 / 09 owners help

Tour Guide

Reaction score
Visit site
had an 04 up to 23,000 miles after the tps fix at 7,000 miles the bike ran awsome. liked it so much i sold it and bought an 08. i now only have 3,000 miles on it but continue to feel as though there is a similar tps problem. 40% of the time there is a hesitation on throttle response which gets worse when it gets hot and i start down shifting and running harder through the mountian roads. called yamaha and they were no help, said to take it to the dealer. my parts guy shows the replacement tps part # on 03 up to 07. 08 and 09 calls for a tottaly different part #. i thought the major changes were in 07. i'm just frustrated cause my 04 had perfect response after the tps upgrade and my 08 has a terrible hesitation at times. i'm wondering if i coud run the upgraded # on my 08. any info would be helpful.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 08 and no problems noted except I don't run very high RPMs on the street so maybe not a good example but I live in Tampa so I get her pretty hot. If you are having issues I would take it in to the dealer for a diagnostics. Hopefully the bike is still under warranty and make sure the dealer will check the issue out under warranty. I know when I bought my 08 in April I only had a few weeks with in-warranty so I extended the warranty for three years. Cheaper to do it when the factory warranty is still valid. Personally, if not under warranty I would not go near the dealer only as a last resort.

If there is a TPS upgrade I would sure like to know about it, but have not received any kind of recall notice.

Sorry I am not more help, hope you can find the issue with minimal expense. Look forward to hearing what comes out of this issue.

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
In the service manual it can tell you how to do the test on the TPS right on your bike - it can be available to download if you know where to look :thumbup:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
09 and no problems with over 13k miles. Could the throttle body sync be, well out of sync:D
Has it always done this or did it start after service??
Might check the throttle cable adjustment, maybe to sloppy allowing the throttle to move a bit on its own.
Just throwing some ideas out, let us know what the solution is.

Jerry

Tour Guide

Reaction score
Visit site
thks for the responses so far. throttle cable play was the 1st thing i checked. i do all mt own service. the problem has gotten worse as the miles have added up, just like my 04 did. i'm wondering if it is an early 08 production that could be considered an 07 as far as tps replacement would go. again cause it calls for the replacement tps# for 04 up to 07's. i always thought that 07 was where all the new changes were made, tad higher compression, maybe ecu changes, so that's what is confusing on the replacement tps. i've never heard of any changes between 07 and 08 unless there was an ecu change that yamaha aint telling us about. maybe i'll get lucky and i'll find someone that has experienced the same problem.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
no issues like that on my 2008 (in fact just had my last two tanks average out at nearly 53 mpg!)

I would suggest to check/adjust the TB sync, idle speed, and TPS voltage.

Is it running hot (which might indicate an issue with the thermostat)?

Any pinched or disconnected vacuum lines?

You could put a DVM on the O2 sensor and see if it is working correctly (which would indicate the AFR is ok).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the TPS yourself first off. There are numerous threads on how to do this. Besides the high and low#'s, you need to check the #'s in-between and make sure their ALL THERE and there's NO SKIPPING of #'s.

If it checks out ok, when the bike is hot and acting up, check them again.

Have you done any recent work to the bike or up grades (ECU, pipes, etc)?

I have an 07 and it DID NOT have a TPS re-call (and runs fine).

Tour Guide

Reaction score
Visit site
update - i took it off and it will only measure as high as 2.51kohms , should be at least 3.5. took it to my local dealer , that i've bought a lot of bikes and parts from ( just not this one - bought this one @ 2 hrs away). said the part would be $198.00 but the srevice mgr. is going to call yamaha and see if they will warrent it even though it's past the 1 yr. he said they will usually warrent a lot of emmision/throttle devices past the normal warrenty. post back up in a few days when i hear back from him. i just can't believe i'm the only one that has had an issue on an 08. it's got a production date of 04/08. i do ride pretty hard in the mts. but even normal riding here at home normal shifts are jerky. i just hope they will pay for it and it makes a big difference in the runabilty. thks. for the thoughts