'08 fz6

richp2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '06 fz6 and thinking about getting an '08.
Does anyone know if the '08 still has that annoying buzz at 5000-6000 rpms?
Or did they get rid of that?

I have an '06 fz6 and thinking about getting an '08.
Does anyone know if the '08 still has that annoying buzz at 5000-6000 rpms?
Or did they get rid of that?

i have an 06. and i dont have an annoying buzz anywhere...you sure it's not just something going on on your bike?

:thumbup:

I have not ridden the previous version but my '08 does buzz around 5k, mostly when in the lower gears. It's not terrible but I thought that I4 engines were smoother than this.

Tim

Hi folks. First post here. I'm looking into a FZ6 '08 myself -- sticker is $6900.

So can someone describe this buzzing a little more? I had a '99 CBR 600 F4 (inline 4 carb'ed) (sold) and it had some vibration on the highway but I thought that was normal. It buzzed but that thing had a good power and could maintain a nice 75mph (GPS corrected) freeway speed (I think it was at about 8.5K RPM). i.e., it buzzed but it didn't feel like it was working hard.

How does the buzzing compare to that? is it so annoying that you would get annoyed being on the freeway? I was hoping to be able to ride the FZ6 at freeway speeds for a few hours at a time. Does the FZ6 feel like it's working hard at highway speed?

I currently have an '07 Vstar 1300T (V-twin) and at about 75mph (GPS corrected), there is a little vibration (but not bad at all) and that thing feels like it could cruise at that speed for hours.

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi folks. First post here. I'm looking into a FZ6 '08 myself -- sticker is $6900.

So can someone describe this buzzing a little more? I had a '99 CBR 600 F4 (inline 4 carb'ed) (sold) and it had some vibration on the highway but I thought that was normal. It buzzed but that thing had a good power and could maintain a nice 75mph (GPS corrected) freeway speed (I think it was at about 8.5K RPM). i.e., it buzzed but it didn't feel like it was working hard.

How does the buzzing compare to that? is it so annoying that you would get annoyed being on the freeway? I was hoping to be able to ride the FZ6 at freeway speeds for a few hours at a time. Does the FZ6 feel like it's working hard at highway speed?

I currently have an '07 Vstar 1300T (V-twin) and at about 75mph (GPS corrected), there is a little vibration (but not bad at all) and that thing feels like it could cruise at that speed for hours.

Thanks,

Dennis

It's not really that big of a deal. You do feel a buzz on your clutch side of the bar around 5k to 6k range, but if you stay out of that zone or move out of quickly, it is not a problem really. Some folks (me included) have also upgraded from stock levers to pazzos ( or PSR in my case ) and the vibrations have all but disappeared.

The Fizzer is really an awesome bike in all aspects and this slight buzzing shouldn't really put you off of getting one. That in mind, $6900 for an 08 is a bit high. I got mine last year brand new and was a good $400 cheaper than that (the sticker that is).

Also, if you are going to do a lot of freeway riding and doing mind losing the pick up a bit, you can always go +1 on the front sprocket to drop the rpms.

Last edited:
I have not ridden the previous version but my '08 does buzz around 5k, mostly when in the lower gears. It's not terrible but I thought that I4 engines were smoother than this.

Tim
Ride the bandit 650! That thing is smoooooth! Damn heavy though!

The Fizzer is really an awesome bike in all aspects and this slight buzzing shouldn't really put you off of getting one. That in mind, $6900 for an 08 is a bit high. I got mine last year brand new and was a good $400 cheaper than that (the sticker that is).

Also, if you are going to do a lot of freeway riding and doing mind losing the pick up a bit, you can always go +1 on the front sprocket to drop the rpms.

So $400 off sticker for '09 is a good deal? What about freight charge? usually, that's another $300.

I see the '09 has the comfort seat and the '08 doesn't. A more comfortable seat is worth a few extra hundred; but is a Corbin a better value?

I'm still trying to figure a good price before I go waltzing in and saying, please write me up for a '08 or '09 in blue or red and deliver it to my house.

As far as vibrations, I don't think I'll mess with it until I get a feel for the highway. Also, I switched from dino oil to Amsoil on my Vstar 1300 and the vibrations at 75mph got reduced a bit (not a whole bunch but enough that I notice or actually, that I don't notice, I'm doing 75mph). Maybe this will help reduce vibrations on the FZ? maybe it's just synthetic and not just Amsoil (I don't want to turn this into an oil thread).

Thanks,

Dennis

So $400 off sticker for '09 is a good deal? What about freight charge? usually, that's another $300.

I see the '09 has the comfort seat and the '08 doesn't. A more comfortable seat is worth a few extra hundred; but is a Corbin a better value?

I'm still trying to figure a good price before I go waltzing in and saying, please write me up for a '08 or '09 in blue or red and deliver it to my house.

As far as vibrations, I don't think I'll mess with it until I get a feel for the highway. Also, I switched from dino oil to Amsoil on my Vstar 1300 and the vibrations at 75mph got reduced a bit (not a whole bunch but enough that I notice or actually, that I don't notice, I'm doing 75mph). Maybe this will help reduce vibrations on the FZ? maybe it's just synthetic and not just Amsoil (I don't want to turn this into an oil thread).

Thanks,

Dennis

I am not quite sure how much the 09 retails for. But if you run a hard negotiation you might be able to knock off some $$ off of the sticker. I am not a good bargainer so I have no tips for you in that respect. The sticker price for my bike was $6300 if I remember correctly and $300 for freight and assembly.

Also, I have no idea about the seats offered on the 09. I still have my stock seat on my 08 and am quite comfortable with it, but other forum members have complained about it, especially on longer rides. Corbin or Top Saddlery is usually what people upgrade to.

And like I said about the vibrations, I have no issues with them, so I didn't try anything to "reduce" them. I had some issues with my clutch lever buzzing but that went away once I changed the stock levers.

-Manas.

I am not quite sure how much the 09 retails for. But if you run a hard negotiation you might be able to knock off some $$ off of the sticker. I am not a good bargainer so I have no tips for you in that respect. The sticker price for my bike was $6300 if I remember correctly and $300 for freight and assembly.

Also, I have no idea about the seats offered on the 09. I still have my stock seat on my 08 and am quite comfortable with it, but other forum members have complained about it, especially on longer rides. Corbin or Top Saddlery is usually what people upgrade to.

And like I said about the vibrations, I have no issues with them, so I didn't try anything to "reduce" them. I had some issues with my clutch lever buzzing but that went away once I changed the stock levers.

-Manas.
Whoa. Sticker for your '08 was $6300 with $300 freight (and then you paid $6600 - $400 = $6200? The local Yamaha dealer wants $6500 + $100 registration fee (everyone must pay) out the door; it started at $6900 (+$100 registration fee), I called them right after I read your post. Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me. Hmfff. :confused: It's such a pain to negotiate these things I'll be shopping around more.

I sat on FZ6s yesterday and seats didn't seem bad -- but I know things get different after a few hours on a sunny ride. I'm guessing it'll be ok as it is with you.

I'm not so worried by the buzzing since my old CBR 600 F4 buzzed and I just thought that was part of its personality. Plus, you'all seem to have solutions to try already.

Thanks,

Dennis

Whoa. Sticker for your '08 was $6300 with $300 freight (and then you paid $6600 - $400 = $6200? The local Yamaha dealer wants $6500 + $100 registration fee (everyone must pay) out the door; it started at $6900 (+$100 registration fee), I called them right after I read your post. Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me. Hmfff. :confused: It's such a pain to negotiate these things I'll be shopping around more.

I sat on FZ6s yesterday and seats didn't seem bad -- but I know things get different after a few hours on a sunny ride. I'm guessing it'll be ok as it is with you.

I'm not so worried by the buzzing since my old CBR 600 F4 buzzed and I just thought that was part of its personality. Plus, you'all seem to have solutions to try already.

Thanks,
Dennis

6900 out the door thats alot! i walked out paying almost 7300 for my 09
which from what i can tell is really good since the msrp is 7339 i think

That sounds more like it. What's GAP and powersports coverage? is this Yamaha extended warranty.

Dennis

GAP is for if you total the bike. It pays off the rest of your loan after your insurance pays what it thinks the bike is worth (saves you from paying for something you can't ride). And the powersports is an extended warranty.

Another new 08 here. zero miles off the showroom floor. $6,000. No freight, prep, or setup fees. I paid the tax and license when I licensed it in my home state. Yamaha 6 months zero interest.
I had been looking at the 09 model, which comes with the gell seat, list price was 7299, but yamaha factory rebate of 300 made the new list price at 6999. Plus freight and set up fee....
Needless to say I bought the 08 model...that gell seat ain't worth over no thousand bucks to me.
Get your dealer to quote you a price and then go to yamaha website and see what the incentives are for that bike and deduct that from their price and you might end up with a good deal afterall..
Good luck...Mark..

Thanks,

Dennis

Yep, that sounds similar to something I paid. Well that plus sales tax and registration which was around $500-$600 (New York State, go figure). Maybe I don't exactly know what you mean by sticker. My total cost OTD was somewhere near $6800-$6900. And this for a brand new 08 last year. If you are getting last year's left over you should be able to knock off a sizeable amount from that. Yes negotiation is tough I know, but I found a good dealer who wanted me on that bike. I am sure he made a healthy profit out of it none the less, but I was happy with the deal as well. Plus, I wanted to get on that bike as well :thumbup:

As for the seat, I have not done any long trips on it. 150 miles in a 3-4 hr round trip, thats about it. And if I keep shifting my butt on the seat in twisties mixed with straights, it does not hurt at all. Longer rides on freeways where you don't move around on the seat much might hurt. I have no opinion in that aspect due to lack of experience.

Don't worry about the buzzing really. The bike will win you over so much that you will forgive these petty nuances.

Last edited:
Back