08 Ninja 250 Questions

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got this idea of making a track bike out of one of the new Ninja 250s. I've always liked small bikes because of the great handling, low cost, low cost of operation and the new Ninja has all that and a bag of chips. :rolleyes: However....its a dog. Woof! Woof! My small bikes in the past have weighted about 300 to 325 lbs and made between 45 and 75 hp. The new Ninja in race trim, ie: stripped is about 340 and makes a whopping 29 to 30 hp. I think with a body kit sub-frame and sub-fairing reworking and a few other tweeks I can get the weight down to 315 to 330 lbs. Now for the hp...29 hp, kinda sucks...I've only been able to find jet kits and exhuast systems that add about 3 to 4 hp, not bad. Does anyone know of a shop that tunes these things or anyone who sells performance parts, cams, pistons, etc? Does Kawasaki make a racing kit? :confused:

The idea behind this project is to find a salvage bike with mainly damaged body work, strip it to the frame (remove everything, lights, guages, subframes, excess wiring, anything that is not really needed), add SharkSkinz body kit, tune suspension, tune motor, go ride.

Here's the idea behind it: RaceBikeRentals.com | Kawasaki Ninja 250R Race Rentals WSMC Willow Springs Raceway

What do you current and former Ninja 250 riders think?

Oh, and is there a good Ninja 250 Forum. The two I've found are lame. :(

Ninja250 Riders Club :: Index ninja250forum - Home

Thanks! :rockon:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang, bad timing. I had an 08 that had the fairing all scraped up from a slide. I let the insurance total it out, but that bike was mechanically perfect.
Anyway, try the Kawi forums, under the 250R sub-forum...
They should be able to steer you in the right direction, though I would make sure you search before you post. They can be a bit testy there.
Power-wise, the thing feels way peppier than the previous generation. It's still carb'd so you can find various jet kits and you can pretty much tune the thing yourself. There are some tried-and-true methods already for jetting so make sure you check that out.
Handling is great on this thing. It feels lighter than it is, very snappy, and can really hold a line.
Good luck, I think you'll be happy with it. Just know you're not getting a fast bike, just a really fun one.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang, bad timing. I had an 08 that had the fairing all scraped up from a slide. I let the insurance total it out, but that bike was mechanically perfect.
Anyway, try the Kawi forums, under the 250R sub-forum...
They should be able to steer you in the right direction, though I would make sure you search before you post. They can be a bit testy there.
Power-wise, the thing feels way peppier than the previous generation. It's still carb'd so you can find various jet kits and you can pretty much tune the thing yourself. There are some tried-and-true methods already for jetting so make sure you check that out.
Handling is great on this thing. It feels lighter than it is, very snappy, and can really hold a line.
Good luck, I think you'll be happy with it. Just know you're not getting a fast bike, just a really fun one.

Thanks for the link, I'll poke around and see what I can find.

You hit the nail on the head, I don't want a super fast bike, just a FUN bike for the track.

The one you totalled is exactly what I will be looking for. I think I could probably get one for $2,500 or so. I've seen better ones with 4,000 miles going for $4,000!!! OUCH! I know they are a great bike but that is silly.

Thanks again.

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never having ridden a track day nor a Ninja 250, you can probably ignore me, but...

I think whether or not a Ninja 250 makes a good track day bike depends a lot on how much you weigh. I don't think it would pull my 210lbs around with much authority. If you weighed 1/2 that it probably would be great.

I spotted this in my local Craigslist for $1750. If I had the extra cash right now I'd be taking a look. Ninja 500 EX500 Racebike Track bike race ready

John

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you could put a 180 rear and a 120 up front, that would be sick. Not sure what the stock ones are, 130-110? i dunno

Spot on 110 and 130, plenty of rubber for a little bike. I don't think the stock wheels are wide enough for FZ sized rubber. It really doesn't need it either with the low hp. When I used to race I was on 100 and 130, worked fine. And I have more than 2X the hp that the 250 would have.

Here's how we did it almost 25 years ago> "Fat tires?!?!? We don't need no fat tires!!!"

View attachment 8655 View attachment 8656

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never having ridden a track day nor a Ninja 250, you can probably ignore me, but...

I think whether or not a Ninja 250 makes a good track day bike depends a lot on how much you weigh. I don't think it would pull my 210lbs around with much authority. If you weighed 1/2 that it probably would be great.

I spotted this in my local Craigslist for $1750. If I had the extra cash right now I'd be taking a look. Ninja 500 EX500 Racebike Track bike race ready

John

Good point, I weigh 175 w/o gear, a little dude of 140 will spank me big time but at this point my life it's all about fun and a great handling bike.

The EX500 is a very good bike, however I want a smaller bike than that, and most importantly, EX500s are fugly compared to the new 250s. I'd love to get one of the lime green ones! :thumbup:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
What sucks is how much demand there is for the bike. There are still waiting lists! That's why people are selling them for so much used.
Call an auction house, or ask a dealer to look for wrecked ones for you.. That's the best way to get them scraped up, which shouldn't be that hard considering how many beginners get these bikes. Mine sold for $800 and it needed new plastic and a left rear stay.

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the link, I'll poke around and see what I can find.

You hit the nail on the head, I don't want a super fast bike, just a FUN bike for the track.

The one you totalled is exactly what I will be looking for. I think I could probably get one for $2,500 or so. I've seen better ones with 4,000 miles going for $4,000!!! OUCH! I know they are a great bike but that is silly.

Thanks again.

Pete, look some more, I have seen NEW '07's for $2500.00-$3000.00

Track bike huh? I saw a sweet Aprillia 250 at the mall the other day and had the same idea as you... to bad the checkbook didn't agree with the thought :(

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What sucks is how much demand there is for the bike. There are still waiting lists! That's why people are selling them for so much used.
Call an auction house, or ask a dealer to look for wrecked ones for you.. That's the best way to get them scraped up, which shouldn't be that hard considering how many beginners get these bikes. Mine sold for $800 and it needed new plastic and a left rear stay.

See that would be perfect!

Would I look for an Auto Auction house? Never tried that before.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete, look some more, I have seen NEW '07's for $2500.00-$3000.00

Track bike huh? I saw a sweet Aprillia 250 at the mall the other day and had the same idea as you... to bad the checkbook didn't agree with the thought :(

I like the 08s and 09s because the wheels are a 17" not a 16" and there is a great selection of tires for the 17s, where as the 16s there are only a few to choose from.

I'm in no hurry and I'll keep looking for a salvage bike.

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site
i'll keep my eye out for you on dfw craiglist. check it almost daily just to look

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How about another RZ350?

I've seriously thought about that option. I'm guessing the cost of operation would be higher due to how old the bike is. Any idea if parts are still available? I do love a two stroke on the track, you really can't beat them.

S

sportrider

in my experience, the 250 is all about momentum. once you get it up to speed your golden :thumbup:

EDIT: I'd actually prefer the 07 and older due to the ease of maintenance, the 08+ use the shim under bucket valve adjusters where the older bikes still have the lock nut screw type adjuster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seriously thought about that option. I'm guessing the cost of operation would be higher due to how old the bike is. Any idea if parts are still available? I do love a two stroke on the track, you really can't beat them.

Actually, it wouldn't be a cheap option...

In Canada we can still get a lot of parts from Yamaha Canada, but most top end parts I looked into were fairly expensive. I was thinking it would be fun to have a RZ track day bike, but I think that it's not too practical afterall...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
in my experience, the 250 is all about momentum. once you get it up to speed your golden :thumbup:

EDIT: I'd actually prefer the 07 and older due to the ease of maintenance, the 08+ use the shim under bucket valve adjusters where the older bikes still have the lock nut screw type adjuster.

Thanks, I didn't know that about the 07 vs. the 08. I still think the better chassis, suspension, wheels and brake will pay back in spades. Also, from what I've read, there are not too many mods that are required to take an 08 to the track and have it perform, ie: forks, rear shock, etc.

There are mods I'd do regardless of year; fork brace, SS brake lines, race compound brake pads, good tires, jet kit, exhaust. Just with the 08 I think it will take less mods vs the 07 and get a more capable in the end.

Part of my vision for this project is to create a "4 Stroke GP Bike". The 17" wheels and the better chassis and suspension get me there. The old bike is a legend but I think it will require too much work/mods/investment to get where I'd like to go.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
See that would be perfect!

Would I look for an Auto Auction house? Never tried that before.

Yeah, call the local auto auction houses and see if they also auction bikes. Some do, some don't. Most of them require you to have a representative to bid for you, but some are open to the public.
Honestly, the best way is to call the local Kawi dealer and see when they are headed to the auctions. Tell them what you want and how much you're willing to pay. Make nice with the people there and they'll help you out.
Of course, Craigslist is a great source for rashed 250's. Look around other states as well. Shipping isn't too bad and you may find what you're looking for faster.
Good luck, these are super fun bikes. They really are night and day when compared to the earlier models.

gonecrazy

Reaction score
Visit site
I seen a guy at Putnam that had a 08 all set up, looked pimp. I started my wife a 06 ninja 250 for the track, just sold it to get a new 08-09 for her.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You could get a stripped down first gen SV650S down to around the same weight and would have a much better powerplant with endless modification options and spare parts galore. They are cheap and easy on tires from what I understand. Just throwing it out there...