12V Outlet Wiring Help

• Thread starter Deleted member 24810
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24810

Hello All,

Looking to get my 12V outlet wired up and want to wire it into switched power so my battery doesn't die when its not in use. What should I go from? Headlight? If so, which wires?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't use the headlights or other wiring! If you blow the fuse for something the last thing you want to lose are your lights!

It would be far better to run power directly from the battery terminals and put a rocker switch in the fairing to turn the 12V outlet on/off. Be sure you have a fuse on the battery terminal (15-30A is standard).

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did this. I used [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Volt-Socket/dp/B001U4ZZPK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1399996348&sr=8-5&keywords=marine+cigarette+outlet"]Blue Sea Systems Marine Outlet[/ame] from Amazon. It was cheap and has a waterproof cover. I believe it's only rated for 15A so use a 15A in line fuse with it. Get an inline fuse (or a whole fuse block from Hella) and a 20A toggle switch from Autozone. They were about $4 each. I put them just above and left of my left headlight.

Wired it up as follows:

Battery ---> outlet ---> switch -----> fuse block -----> battery

14ga wire

I'm not a wiring expert so this may be high combustible or dangerous. I'm sure someone will chime in. It survived a trip through the Dragon and worked after riding in the rain for 3 days, so I'm going to assume it's solid enough. I recommend a little thread locking compound of some sort on the plastic threads/nut so it doesn't vibrate loose, however. I let the wires follow the fairing mounting bracket so they aren't dangling everywhere.

**** CircuitRider has a thread somewhere that shows how to wire it all up with a relay so it only works when the key is in the "on" position but I wanted power without leaving the key in. Difference in preferences.****

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you plan to add accessories later on I suggest something like this so you don't clutter up your battery terminals with a mess of wires:Motorcycle Power Relay and Distribution Block | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring

I did that (minus the easy splices, yuck), but wired in the 12v outlet in front of the relay (hotwired for easy access to put on battery tender). I have never left anything plugged in on accident.

If you don't want to add a power distribution block and don't want to hot wire it you could run your positive wire to the headlight. Use the left one as it is always on (unless you have dual headlight mod, then it doesdnt matter). Look for the black wire with green stripe. Splice into it and run the positive cable of the 12v socket to it. Also, wire in a 5 or 7.5 amp fuse (could be done to negative, but doing it on positive keeps it uniform to the rest of the bike). Run negative to negative battery terminal.

You could run the positive wire of the 12v outlet to any positive switched wire on the bike so long as the gauge of the wire is thick enough to supply power to the accessory AND component which you are piggybacking of of. Use a multimeter to find these positive wires.

Here's mine. (Ignore dirty bike from rain. And tools on floor from getting new tires put on)

Edit:I agree with fizzer6 about not wanting to lose your lights and that it's better to wire into toggle switch, but others have done it with success. Just dont plug anything that demands much power.

Last edited: