17t front sprocket change

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Data from ride with 17t front sprocket.

OK. I rode about 90 miles today (mostly interstate). Conditions were not ideal (temps in the low 20s, major crosswind at times). I also had a topcase and 2 sidecases on the bike and all were loaded with groceries. I weigh about 170 (but I must have had 10lbs of gear on today!)

It looks like I could cruise at about 70mph and be at about 6200 rpm in 6th gear. At 80mph I was at about 7000rpm. These speeds are based on a GPS (so you likely need to add about 10-11% to stock speeds to compare).

With the 17t front the speedo is dead on with the GPS (as others have reported). I didn't check the odometer.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the 17T info. Have you done this mod. now? What does it do to rpm in 6th vs. 16T?

Yup. I did it 2 days ago....see my last message for data from a 17t ride (not sure how much it dropped the rpms because I wasn't recording this before the change, but it's very noticable - at least 300-500 rpms less at highway speeds I think). You could compare your 16T to the data from the earlier message to confirm.

It also seems to have greatly reduced the buzz I used to get at 5700 rpm. I know that's not possible (rpms and rpms) so perhaps it's just psychological.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
For me the RPM difference at an indicated 80 mph with the 16t to an indicated 72 mph with the 17t was 500 RPMs. Regarding my mileage, it actually seemed to get worse but because of temperature differences and altitude differences, I can't say for sure.

My opinion is if you like the lower cruising RPM's and don't miss the little extra acceleration then you'll be very happy with the mod. Just don't expect any OMG this is unbelievable changes :rockon: