2 sets of mirrors on FZ6?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
:confused: The silliest question of the month.
Did anyone try two sets of mirrors on fz6? Leaving the stock to an angle where you lean on to the tank when going fast, but can see behind/far-behind you and another pair for general use (or vice versa, less vibrations, bar end mirrors for leaning use and stock ones when going slow..!).

Does S1's OEM mirrors fit S2 model?
Answer: No

Last edited:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I think two sets of mirrors on a motorcycle would look like belt and suspenders - silly. I find the stock FZ6 mirrors to be pretty good for a motorcycle. If I'm going fast enough to lean on the tank, I don't need mirrors. :)

BTW, S1 and S2 mirrors are not interchangable.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I think two sets of mirrors on a motorcycle would look like belt and suspenders - silly. I find the stock FZ6 mirrors to be pretty good for a motorcycle. If I'm going fast enough to lean on the tank, I don't need mirrors. :)

BTW, S1 and S2 mirrors are not interchangable.

I complained/read so many times already, stock mirrors with vibrations at high speed (80+mph) doesn't differentiate between an old white kia to a new Charger(cop).
I just got techron, fuel cleaning system, once my oil change is done (correct number for reduced vibrations), I'll do sea foam once, fuel system cleaners once(after researching whether they are worth or not) and see the vibrations.
lately I see a lot of them.
If I leave my handlebars at 40 mph(6th gear, for few seconds, controlled environment), I can see it vibrates like a road drilling machine, with no effect to front wheel(tried different roads). It numbs my hand after a tail of dragon or devl's whip loop.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I complained/read so many times already, stock mirrors with vibrations at high speed (80+mph) doesn't differentiate between an old white kia to a new Charger(cop).
I just got techron, fuel cleaning system, once my oil change is done (correct number for reduced vibrations), I'll do sea foam once, fuel system cleaners once(after researching whether they are worth or not) and see the vibrations.
lately I see a lot of them.
If I leave my handlebars at 40 mph(6th gear, for few seconds, controlled environment), I can see it vibrates like a road drilling machine, with no effect to front wheel(tried different roads). It numbs my hand after a tail of dragon or devl's whip loop.

As posted earlier, I think it'd look really silly with two sets and how often would you use it. If into triple digits, your tucked way down behind the windshield anyway. Perhaps one or two of the small convex mirrors might work attached inside the windshield would would work for high speeds.

And Raj, with the vibs you mentioned, did you go over the entire bike with a torque wrench, especially the engine mounts? I got some additional vibes about 2 years ago and found two engine mounts loosened up to about 37 Ft Lbs, not at 40. Once re-torqued, vibes gone..

Both the Techtron and Seafoam work ok. For the BEST cleaning product (fuel system and top end), that actually, no doubt works, use Yamaha's "RingFree";

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/ring-free-plus?b=Search&d=34 .

Expensive BUT 1 ounce treats 10 gallons so it'll go awhile. I use it in every gas powered machine I own and it works way better than the others.

Its really popular in the Marine world. Its run in the boat as well(50 or 60 gallon built in tank)

I can verify, by personal experience, it does work.

I have an 8 HP chipper / shredder I went to use about 3 years ago. Cranked right up but wouldn't idle and had a slight misfire at WOT (3,600 RPM). As I had a huge pile of tree limbs to mulch I wasn't screwing with the carb right then.. Anyway, I put 2-3 times the amount called for and continued shredding. The hour or so it ran,, (I didn't touch the engine, period) , the slight misfire went away and once done, idled down like a champ...Never had to pull the carb...

Every weedeater/motor that comes in for repair, gets a treatment as well.. HIGHLY recommended...

Last edited:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site

Have you done a TB sync?

Even if you got a second set of mirrors, if the bike is vibrating that much, the second set of mirrors will vibrate as well.

These bikes are pretty smooth. Be glad you're not on a Hardly Ableson. They vibrate so much at idle that your vision blurs!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
As posted earlier, I think it'd look really silly with two sets and how often would you use it. If into triple digits, your tucked way down behind the windshield anyway. Perhaps one or two of the small convex mirrors might work attached inside the windshield would would work for high speeds.

And Raj, with the vibs you mentioned, did you go over the entire bike with a torque wrench, especially the engine mounts? I got some additional vibes about 2 years ago and found two engine mounts loosened up to about 37 Ft Lbs, not at 40. Once re-torqued, vibes gone..

Both the Techtron and Seafoam work ok. For the BEST cleaning product (fuel system and top end), that actually, no doubt works, use Yamaha's "RingFree";

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/ring-free-plus?b=Search&d=34 .

Expensive BUT 1 ounce treats 10 gallons so it'll go awhile. I use it in every gas powered machine I own and it works way better than the others.

Its really popular in the Marine world. Its run in the boat as well(50 or 60 gallon built in tank)

I can verify, by personal experience, it does work.

I have an 8 HP chipper / shredder I went to use about 3 years ago. Cranked right up but wouldn't idle and had a slight misfire at WOT (3,600 RPM). As I had a huge pile of tree limbs to mulch I wasn't screwing with the carb right then.. Anyway, I put 2-3 times the amount called for and continued shredding. The hour or so it ran,, (I didn't touch the engine, period) , the slight misfire went away and once done, idled down like a champ...Never had to pull the carb...

Every weedeater/motor that comes in for repair, gets a treatment as well.. HIGHLY recommended...

Argh, the name is Ring free, the name didn't strike last night, thank you.
Tonight is my oil change, will use Techron (purchased last night, walmart) with a full tank of premium gas*, will order ring free online (if I don't find it in Napa tonight).

*Came from a 720 mile trip from the TOD, she had different gas station fuel, I want her to have a clean tank now.

The bike has 8200 miles now, may be time for a TBS.
I'll give a try with the Torque wrench. I don't have the tool, but will make sure that is done with this week.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Argh, the name is Ring free, the name didn't strike last night, thank you.
Tonight is my oil change, will use Techron (purchased last night, walmart) with a full tank of premium gas*, will order ring free online (if I don't find it in Napa tonight).

*Came from a 720 mile trip from the TOD, she had different gas station fuel, I want her to have a clean tank now.

The bike has 8200 miles now, may be time for a TBS.
I'll give a try with the Torque wrench. I don't have the tool, but will make sure that is done with this week.

The Ringfree is at most Yamaha Marine dealerships (it won't be at Napa, Walmart, etc) but is a little cheaper at Amazon. The small bottle is about $25.00 but will last awhile.

You can also borrow torque wrenches from most auto parts stores. A decent 3/8 drive, "clicker" torque wrench from Sears can be had for about $60.00 brand new. Well worth the investment if you plan on wrenching at all on your bike..

The Morgan Carbtune is what I bought years ago (this specific model) www.carbtune.com and love it. Very, very accurate, no liquids. Its paid for itself several times over doing customers bikes..

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
The Ringfree is at most Yamaha Marine dealerships (it won't be at Napa, Walmart, etc) but is a little cheaper at Amazon. The small bottle is about $25.00 but will last awhile.

You can also borrow torque wrenches from most auto parts stores. A decent 3/8 drive, "clicker" torque wrench from Sears can be had for about $60.00 brand new. Well worth the investment if you plan on wrenching at all on your bike..

The Morgan Carbtune is what I bought years ago (this specific model) www.carbtune.com and love it. Very, very accurate, no liquids. Its paid for itself several times over doing customers bikes..

Thanks for the info.
I'll stick to borrowing the tool for now.

Yes, they were not available in local stores:
Yamaha Outboard Ring Free Plus Fuel Additive 12 oz Acc RNGFR PL 12 | eBay
and
Amazon.com: Yamaha Yamalube Ring Free Plus Fuel Additive ACC-RNGFR-PL-12: Automotive

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My mirrors are also unusable over ~80miles per hour and rear view objects are a blurry mess. If in doubt, a quick throttle roll off will help see what is behind you and you can get back on throttle. Or how about one of those funny looking helmet mount mirrors used for cycling? Simple and easy(and funny).

I forgot to ask you if you wanted to ride my bike when we met - I had a few improvements(fork springs, heavier fork oil) and had the TBs sync'd sometime ago.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
My mirrors are also unusable over ~80miles per hour and rear view objects are a blurry mess. If in doubt, a quick throttle roll off will help see what is behind you and you can get back on throttle. Or how about one of those funny looking helmet mount mirrors used for cycling? Simple and easy(and funny).

I forgot to ask you if you wanted to ride my bike when we met - I had a few improvements(fork springs, heavier fork oil) and had the TBs sync'd sometime ago.

Actually, I thought of asking you to ride mine to see the differences. I got carried away with other topics. I did wanted to try that lowering the height.
with sandals/office shoes, I can put one foot down, completely and the other one 50%, at the same time.
Planning to upgrade to TS for extra comfort or get some get based seat cover kit, while coming back from India November, 2015. So, I know it'll increase the height.
I'll go in an order, Oil change, test drive, torque wrench, test drive, then will go for TBS.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

So, total how many miles did you put over the past 3 days?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
It was about 1200miles, and we rode the TOD once again on Sunday before returning. Somehow there was less traffic and almost no *racers* compared to Saturday.

Saturday evening, around 3, I have to cross/overtake only few cars.
And for Cherohola Highway, It was my luckiest day, I overtook only 1 car. No debris, no water on road, No traffic. Perfect road.
I didn't go fast, since, it is my first time and I'm following my garmin 1390 to know which type of curve is coming up, I really enjoyed the ride.
We did one more run in the morning around 10, TOD, and headed back on interstate, fastest route.
Due to different gas stations, and its due oil change (just added some chervon oil in my middle of the trip as it decreased in level/quantity), which resulted in power loss.
For the rpm(10k+) and the amount of time I engage the throttle, I should've gone 135 mph, but I couldn't cross 130 mph yesterday while coming back. I tried 4-5 times to reach that speed, but she couldn't reach her top speed again.
Will see the pickup after the maintenance.
I see you have steel braided lines. I hope I can do most of the performance mods and other upgrades once I come back from India.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just made a pick-up order:

Purolator Classic Oil Filter, L14612- $3.27
Shell Rotella T 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Motor Oil, 1 qt.- 3 X $3.74 from Walmart.
Prestone DOT 4 Synthetic Brake Fluid, 12 oz - $3.87

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Saturday evening, around 3, I have to cross/overtake only few cars.

Due to different gas stations, and its due oil change (just added some chervon oil in my middle of the trip as it decreased in level/quantity), which resulted in power loss.
For the rpm(10k+) and the amount of time I engage the throttle, I should've gone 135 mph, but I couldn't cross 130 mph yesterday while coming back. I tried 4-5 times to reach that speed, but she couldn't reach her top speed again.
Will see the pickup after the maintenance.

What did you mean by = "just added some chervon oil in my middle of the trip as it decreased in level/quantity" ? Your engine oil level? We didn't see any issues with fuel all along the 1200mile trip, although we filled 93octane at Shell/BP mostly.

130 huh, I got ticketed for 62 on a 45 after riding the TOD. Bad karma from overtaking smaller/slower motorcycles.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
What did you mean by = "just added some chervon oil in my middle of the trip as it decreased in level/quantity" ? Your engine oil level? We didn't see any issues with fuel all along the 1200mile trip, although we filled 93octane at Shell/BP mostly.

130 huh, I got ticketed for 62 on a 45 after riding the TOD. Bad karma from overtaking smaller/slower motorcycles.

Yes, My oil was done at 3200 miles, previous owner, when the trip started, the ODO is 7300, I'm scared all along, as I know I'll put a lot of miles on it, due at 8000.
Sunday morning I've checked the dip (cold, center stand, didn't even turned on the engine) I was below the tip of |X|X|X|X|X|
I went to Exxon to fill the gas and bought a quart of oil and filled half bottle and I see the level in the middle of the dip stick tip.

And for overtaking, I took a lot of time behind one and only black Dodge in the middle of Cherohola HWY, and after crossing it, I waved my friend that it is safe to pass the double solid
Then my heart skipped a beat, what if it is an unmarked car, but later I remember I saw a sticker something like 'proud mom of harvard student' or something similar, where cops don't put such stickers, then breathed happily and had a good laugh while explaining this to my friend.

And for the speeding, after the testing and I gave up going fast, I saw two cops coming from the opposite direction and 4 more over the course and another cop overtook me at 120mph with Red and Blues strobing(that scared me actually).

Did you took hwy while coming and going back or came through back roads?
We came through Geer hwy (read it on my gps), the twists are amazing, but the road sucks, slippery, shiny, holes and bad road in the middle of the road all the way. The rest of the trip is so awesome.
We are planning to go there again Aug 15th. The place we stayed is wonderful. I'll create a new thread to post some pictures too.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site