2004 FZ vs. 2006, 2007....

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and after much research have decided to upgrade from my Ninja 250 to an FZ6. I'm still learning about the different generations of this particular bike and would like to pose my question to those that own them. I need opinions and help.

On Saturday, we are planning to look at a 2004 FZ6. We actually put a considerably deposit down on it for now until we physically get there to see it. It is a great deal with really low miles, clean, 1 owner (a policeman), never been down, etc. Is there anything I should be looking for at particular on this bike? Should I wait for the opportunity to buy another generation, possibly a 2006 or 2007?

I have been reading multiple reviews on the 2004 version and have read about "jerky shifting" "harsh clutch engagement" etc. Has any of this been rectified with ECU remapping on the later models? Is there better fuel injection on the newer models? The dealer that got the bike from the owner did a test ride before posting it for sale. Apparently it rides amazing, and when asked about these "jerky quirks" he was quick to say that he has "no idea why people think that" and that it's a great bike.

I guess I'm most curious about when the did the major improvements on the FZ's and should I jump at this chance?

Thank you all very much.
(To top it off, I realize I didn't even spell my USERNAME correctly - because I was SO excited to sign in and get this question in....my next course of action - how do I change my user name?) LOL

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

The big changes came with the '07 and later models, especially with the improvement of the front brakes and fuel injection. Everyone talks about the small friction zone with the clutch but I found it easy to get used to especially if you upgrade to Pazzo levers or something like them. Unless it's a particularly great deal I would look for an '07 or later. I know alot of the people here have pre '07's and still love them.
Here's a link for a wiki page with all the models differences.

Yamaha FZ6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck and can't wait to see pics. :rockon:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! I can't comment on the 2004 vs later models as I've only ridden the later one (mine). Will they let you test ride it? I would think that would be the most telling about it's condition.

Send a private message to Admin about your user name change. Oh and don't forget to post pics of your bike when you get it!

Last edited:

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the initial comments thus far. It's nice to know there are some quick responders out there. Thanks for the link!

The tough one about test driving - we have about 2 feet of snow outside...... The reason it's a great deal right now is because it's winter, and they will be raising the price in March.

I agree that 2007 looks like the better model year to go for, however I will still drive the 1.5 hours up there to take a look at this one.

Keep the comments coming please!

herbis

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Have ridden them both together, & there is not enough difference to worry about, its still the same bike. Go for the best condition & lowest miles over age if the price is right, they are all good, I like the look of the later models more though.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The S2 brakes are higher spec, the swingarm, is cast, instead of box section, there is an oxygen sensor in the headers, and there are 3 catalytic converters on the S2 headers, as opposed to 1 cat on the S1.

I have an S1 and an S2, both are as good as each other IMHO.

Just try and get a fizzer that has been looked after...dont get to anal about mileage, lots of very good high mileage FZ6's about, annd probably lots of low mileage stinkers....all depends on the previous owner...

:thumbup:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
as others have said there were some changes on 07 plus models however in my opinion they would nt affect me purchasing a mint 04 bike (even though i like black frames look better)

do however check that the Throttle position sensor recall has been done, its a no cost issue covered by yamaha since they found the sensor faulty.... ask for receipt of work and dont take the dealer's word for it. with the tps done you're good to go!

gearbox is a bit clunky yes but thats normal dont worry and the clutch engage zone you ll easily get used to it its no big deal

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the heads up on the TPS. I love suggestions like this.

The vehicle is at a "recreational dealer" who handles snowmobiles, RV's, dirt bikes, and motorcycles, etc. What kind of access would he have to tell me the recall has been performed, should a receipt not be available? I'm curious if typing in the VIN would give him access. Should I just take it to a Yamaha dealer afterwards to be certain - or can I call THEM with the VIN number so they can check? My Kawi dealer is a Yamaha dealer too so it's not a stretch for me to go there once the nicer weather hits. They will certify it closer to the date I take it home, but of course we'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb tomorrow.

I'm getting excited about this bike, and I'd like to post it here for those that have helped thus far take a nice look at it.

Used 2004 YAMAHA FZ6 for Sale In MIDLAND, ON - 3299351 - autoTRADER.ca

Thanks!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the deciding factors for me (besides ECU tweak, better brakes and swingarm) was the speedometer. While I loved the look of older ones 04-06) I found that I had a hard time seeing the rev counter.
07 and up uses a more conventional and easier to read setup. It's pretty much the same as the one still used on new bikes (FZ1, FZ8, FZ6R).

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
I already have an update.

Turns out the salesman we were talking to yesterday was unaware the boss took a deposit for the FZ on Wednesday (we put ours on Thursday aft). The other person will be taking a look at it on Saturday, but it's likely sold. :( Go figure, I get all excited....

Onwards and upwards I guess. Time to look for an 07 unless the deal on this one falls through. I wouldn't have been able to help make the decision to get an 07 without the help of you folks. Thanks again!