2004 fz6: Bike wont start error code 43, will a bad battery cause this? PLEASE HELP!!!

DimeWylde

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys, im new to the post and new to street bikes, this is my 2nd street bike in the last 3 months, im getting error code 43 on my speedometer gauge and it states in the manual that the power to the fuel pump and injectors are not correct, i can spray starting fluid into the breather and it starts up and runs and sounds very good until the fluid evaporates... all the lights work on the bike etc... my battery is completely bad on the bike, i have got to replace it which im about to do this weekend, is it possible that the bad battery is causing it not to get enough power to the fuel pump and injectors or its just causing it to throw the codes bc of lack of power, everytime i try and start it for the meantime i have to hook jumper cables up to it, i hope im not asking an ignorant question (i know nothing about bikes at all!!!) and would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me out with this issue, and in case your wondering i just bought the bike the way it is...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys, im new to the post and new to street bikes, this is my 2nd street bike in the last 3 months, im getting error code 43 on my speedometer gauge and it states in the manual that the power to the fuel pump and injectors are not correct, i can spray starting fluid into the breather and it starts up and runs and sounds very good until the fluid evaporates... all the lights work on the bike etc... my battery is completely bad on the bike, i have got to replace it which im about to do this weekend, is it possible that the bad battery is causing it not to get enough power to the fuel pump and injectors or its just causing it to throw the codes bc of lack of power, everytime i try and start it for the meantime i have to hook jumper cables up to it, i hope im not asking an ignorant question (i know nothing about bikes at all!!!) and would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me out with this issue, and in case your wondering i just bought the bike the way it is...

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

From the tech section codes:

Fault Code: 43
Diagnostic Code: 09
Symptom: Supply power to the injector and fuel pump is not normal
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open circuit in wiring harness. (red/blue line or blue/yellow line)
Malfunction in ECU.

You answered your own question, yes, a bad battery will indeed cause your issue and many more. Get it replaced, you should be fine.

BTW, new batteries come 80% charged. For longer life, put the NEW battery on an automatic (no larger than 1.25 amps) battery tender until the light turns GREEN (fully charged) BEFORE you install it in the bike....

For FREE owners manuals: http://www.bonemanfz6.com/mods.htm#manuals

Please post your results...

Last edited:

DimeWylde

Reaction score
Visit site
thx alot, i like the fact that there are quite a few ppl still active in this forum, and you just made my day, i paid 1,000$ for the bike, its all complete once running i can get it legal and be on the road, i almost bought new injectors off ebay, until i actually read the manual and realized the 43 on the digital speedo was an error code, so you have helped me more than you know, i sold my only vehicle for this bike... an 82 yamaha xj650, the 5 speed tranny was killing me on the highway, need a 6th gear... anyways i appreciate your response very much, thx bud

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also be warned that jumping the FZ from a vehicle which is running, can damage the regulator/rectifier. If you have to jump it, DO NOT start the other vehicle!

Its a shunt style device that essentially runs at full output all the time. Meaning, what the engine, lighting and battery charging do not consume/use to run the bike are expended as heat in a resistor internal to the RR. Thus running vehicle at 13.8+V can easily damage it exceeding its 300W capacity...

Welcome to the forum... Get a new Battery ASAP!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this big family!

When you run the jumpers to your bike (car engine off!) do you get the normal self check with the fuel pump prime? If you do and you get the bike started from a helper battery the fuel delivery should still be good because you have a good power source from the helper battery.

Let us know how you do. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thx alot, i like the fact that there are quite a few ppl still active in this forum, and you just made my day, i paid 1,000$ for the bike, its all complete once running i can get it legal and be on the road, i almost bought new injectors off ebay, until i actually read the manual and realized the 43 on the digital speedo was an error code, so you have helped me more than you know, i sold my only vehicle for this bike... an 82 yamaha xj650, the 5 speed tranny was killing me on the highway, need a 6th gear... anyways i appreciate your response very much, thx bud

Your welcome!

This is about the best forum, IMHO, on the net.

You'll learn there's alot of very active members with ALL the information re these bikes you'll ever need... As noted above, just a few posts re the charging system. Motogiro (Cliff), the electric guy, Finalimpact (Randy), knows a bunch about everything.

Lots of other members not as active but willing (very able and willing to help) ie, to pull and engine and break it down to the bare transmission too (with pictures along the way!!

You'll also find alot of information using the search function. I don't think there's anything that hasn't been addressed and fixed or modded!! It'll get busier here with winter arriving in the northern hemisphere!

Read the owners manual paying attention to the chain tension, maintainance, etc. Its a VERY reliable bike and a damn near bullet proof engine... :thumbup:

Per your PM request, my 07:

Last edited:

DimeWylde

Reaction score
Visit site
everytime i have hooked the jumper cables up i left the car completely off bc the bike battery is so much smaller than a car battery, im a car mechanic have been my whole life, was raised doing it, so i try and use some of my vehicle machanic common sense the best i can, i just never had the chance to work on a bike until i got this one, its in great shape 22 years newer than my previous bike, cost 1,000$ and i heard it run before i bought it, so i jumped on it, but the only way we got it to run was spraying starting fluid in the breather under the gas tank and pressing the start button and it will keep running as long as you haze it with the starting fluid and honestly i know a good running motor when i hear one and it sounds very strong and smooth... and the info you guys have provided about keeping the car off while jumping it was something i didnt know and it was a good thing i went with my gut feeling on that, i appreciate you guys help more than you could possibly know and will post an outcome once i get my battery, thanks alot guys.