2004 FZ6 High Idle

metamars

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I am a new FZ6 owner/motorcycle rider in general and I'm having an issue with my bike that I don't exactly know how to fix. A friend of mine (the previous owner of this bike) suggested that I post here about it and see if one of y'all can help me out.

So, yesterday I was out with my bike and it started idling really high. I think this is the sequence of how it happened---I was in second or third (i forget) and dropped it back down to first as I came to a stop. With the clutch pulled in, it idled at around 3-5k and wouldn't go back down.

After turning it off for a minute and taking a look to see if any hoses were disconnected and generally looking around the bike to see if there was anything that seemed amiss, but couldn't find anything readily apparent so I nursed it home.

My friend suggested adjusting the idle screw, and I did, but it didn't really seem to fix the issue. Dropped the rpms down a little bit but it's still running high and wants to run high. When it's cold it runs high, when it's warm it runs higher. Average idle with it warm seems around 2.5-3k.

Ideas? Suggestions? I don't really know what to do. Here's a video that I took, if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1BPw_tNA0Q

I'm new and I've dropped it a couple of times (not while accelerating or with it on) and it was in the back of a trailer for 400 miles, if that helps with the diagnostic.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi and Welcome to the 4'Uhm!:cheer:
I think you were on the right path, but didn't find the actual break in the vacuum line.

Look here, there are many hoses and you'll need to remove the air box to get the best access. You need some pliers for the hose clamps, a10mm socket/ratchet, and very long 3mm allen wrench. Like 8 - 10" would be best to undo the clamps holding the air box. After that it lifts off.

intake2.gif

Once off, you'll be able to see better:
attachment.php

Any one of these hoses or T type connectors could have cracked.
attachment.php

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All colors need inspected!
I doubt its any of the Red Sync hoses. More likely something that connects several ports together!
attachment.php

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) check might also be in order. :)
Does sound like that vacuum leak, high idle, kinda missing sound though...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Verify throttle blades are completely closed too. There should be solid snap when they seat if nothing is bound up like a throttle cable...

metamars

Reaction score
Visit site
Looked again, didn't find anything, and now I'm not even hearing the fuel injection system boot up when I turn the ignition key on. Bike won't start anymore at all. Help? :(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you had the tank up, checking for hoses, etc, you likely pulled the fuel pump wire connector out from the pump. Lift the tank again, NOT as far and check the connector and the wires as they enter the connector.

If that checks out;

Are you getting a dash board, tach swing?

Does the engine SPIN OVER and just NOT START , DOESN'T SPIN OVER?

Last edited:

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
A friend of mine is having same issue. His bike's idle raises and lows when he's riding.
Tps and maf sensor is ok (he said), I'm suspecting from wire harness, ecu and engine heat sensor/it's cables.

video:
[video=youtube;ce2TYQ0mcqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce2TYQ0mcqE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited: