Question 2004 headlight mod?

Vanilla Gorilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Wuts up ya'll.. I picked up an 04 fz6 recently, and previous owner had put a round headlight on the front. To be honest, it dont look right with the huge wire looms exposed. I was hoping to git some ideas on cleaning the front up a bit?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wuts up ya'll.. I picked up an 04 fz6 recently, and previous owner had put a round headlight on the front. To be honest, it dont look right with the huge wire looms exposed. I was hoping to git some ideas on cleaning the front up a bit?
Welcome to the forum.

Post up some pictures so we all have a better idea of what you are working with.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap. Who ever did that should go to jail. That has to be the worst wire wrapping I've ever seen. Yes, by all means, remove that - at once!

Let me go get a few photos of what I did to give you some ideas....not that it's great...but it's not what you have

Vanilla Gorilla

Reaction score
Visit site

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap. Who ever did that should go to jail. That has to be the worst wire wrapping I've ever seen. Yes, by all means, remove that - at once!

"Note to self - never ever let Gary see any of your wiring escapades.... may perform citizen's arrest, and unlikely I could outrun him. Also - see if PA has extradition treaty with NJ"

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I could handle somethin like this, I don't know what the previous owner was thinkin when they did mine, cause it sure as $#!+ don't look good. Where'd you get those brackets for your headlight setup anyway?

Speedmotoco.com. They are a little pricey, but they are CNC machined and are very well made. I have these on two different bikes and wouldn’t hesitate to use them again.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great looking bike Andz, but I found the OEM fairing incompatible with my head - I just couldn't take the buffeting. I was all too happy to sell a perfect fairing and enjoy the smooth breeze over my body.

Vanilla Gorilla

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought bout doin the fairing thing, but I've heard they limit options with bars n such. Especially clip on style which I'm thinking bout goin with, just ain't gathered enough info from "you" professionals lol.. I'd like to "NOT" put some cheapness on my bike that's apt to catastrophic failure at 100+.. But something to hide behind wouldnt be half bad during the mesquito hatch time a the year longs it wasn't huge n cheese d!*$ lookin.. what's a fairing run for one a these things used? I've seen tiny visor style windshields that didn't look to bad....

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the best solution.

I know the fairing takes a beating on this forums - both for looks and for wind-buffeting - but I have to agree with Andz, I prefer it faired and think it looks just fine for my purposes. I don't mind the naked looks, but they don't appeal to me as much.

If you can find some used fairing kit, that'd be cheaper than having to get all new. Scott did it a few years back, it's probably a couple hundred. I had some broken pieces and collected replacements bits for a few years before doing it all up. Start with Partzilla and see what the numbers say (or peruse ebay, you might get lucky with some NOS.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can find some used fairing kit, that'd be cheaper than having to get all new. Scott did it a few years back, it's probably a couple hundred. I had some broken pieces and collected replacements bits for a few years before doing it all up.

Yep, it ain't cheap. Most tip overs take out (bend) the main support as well.

I too, prefer the look of the fairing. The only "short-coming" is ANY tip over, $$$.

From the PO when I bought it:

Wrecked #2.jpg

Stripped down:
Wrecked #4.jpg

Yes, this was way before I attacked the header

Header #1.JPG

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
That Puig screen made a world of difference over the stock screen.

I wish that it made a world of difference for my 2004....
I bought my 2004 new in 2004, and have had the stock, the tall Yamaha, and now the Puig windscreen.
The buffeting from the stock windscreen was bad, but the tall Yamaha windscreen was even worse!

The Puig is better, but the buffeting is still painful for me after all of these years. I'm sort of tall, but I don't know if that's the reason. Are there multiple models of Puig screens, and maybe I'm running a different one than you?

I don't ride much these days, but the buffeting still bothers me when I do. I still wonder if putting some sort of spacers under the windscreen to allow a layer of air under the windscreen would help. With 3D printers these days, it should be easier to try making the spacers now.

I read that the 2007+ models were better with regards to buffeting, and always wanted to test ride one to see if that was true. I know some people installed the newer fairing on their 2004 style bikes, but the plastics around our lame instrument panel (stupid LCD tach) didn't fit right.