Single Headlight Conversion

Nix

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I recently decided to do a scrambler conversion on my 04 FZ6 and purchased a new headlight.

https://speedmotoco.com/motorcycle-multi-projector-led-headlight-w-brackets-dang/

It came with an H4 connection with an additional wire that I was told was for the running light. It came with no installation instructions or wiring diagram so I tried just winging it and haven't gotten it working. The stock wiring had 2 H4 connectors the first having what I believe was a ground (black) and then the low beam/running light (black w/ green stripe) and then the second H4 having a ground (black) the high beam (black w/ yellow stripe) and then a green wire (no idea what it goes too).

I want to wire it so it's just one h4 and I don't have all of this extra stuff hanging around.

I guess something to note is that my taillight and flashers were working before I tried this out and now they are not and I only get about 5mv to the low/high beam connections with the bike running so I may have jacked something up... the fuses were good but I'm not sure how to test a relay and also not sure which relay is for the headlights cause there are 2 identical ones adjacent to each other. Any help would be awesome and really appreciated. This is my first project bike so I'm learning as I go.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to our great forum!
You probably blew a fuse that supplies the voltages you're missing.
The headlight mod is usually more involved and there is a lot of info on the forum related to this.
Do a headlight mod search here on the forum. The headlamp you posted may not need any modification to the FZ6 wire configuration. If it does, contact me and I will help.

Last edited:

Nix

Reaction score
Visit site
The headlight mod is usually more involved and there is a lot of info on the forum related to this.
Do a headlight mod search here on the forum. The headlamp you posted may not need any modification to the FZ6 wire configuration. If it does, contact me and I will help.

thanks for responding so quickly. I’ve looked around the forum and haven’t found anything that’s fixed. I had indeed blown both my headlight and taillight fuse.. I might have shorted it with my multimeter lol

Any idea what green wire going to the top horizontal connector of the high beam h4 is? It bypasses the wire harness and disappears into the bike. I’ve tried following the bikes lighting diagram but it’s super confusing to me.

but I’m still waiting to get a wiring diagram for the headlight. I’m figuring there’s no point in messing with it until I get that. I’m just curious. I really want to get this thing wor

Nix

Reaction score
Visit site

Hey so I’m still trying to get this headlight working. I have no idea what’s up. I sent it back to the manufacturer to test and see if it was faulty but they insist it’s working correctly. They sent it back with the leads marked but as they have it the high beam and ground are reversed for my h4 connection that is confirmed to work with my stock bulb.

I tried wiring it as they said a blew my headlight fuse as expected..

im pretty lost tbh. Haven’t been able to find much that helps me. My test light works exactly as it should and the led is just dead. Do I need some kind of led ballest or something before the light?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey so I’m still trying to get this headlight working. I have no idea what’s up. I sent it back to the manufacturer to test and see if it was faulty but they insist it’s working correctly. They sent it back with the leads marked but as they have it the high beam and ground are reversed for my h4 connection that is confirmed to work with my stock bulb.

I tried wiring it as they said a blew my headlight fuse as expected..

im pretty lost tbh. Haven’t been able to find much that helps me. My test light works exactly as it should and the led is just dead. Do I need some kind of led ballest or something before the light?

Based on the seller's description at the link you provided in an earlier post, it's plug and play/no ballast or anything else needed.
You might try using a 12V source and verifying the leads on the new headlight, so you know for sure. See what lights it up and mark the terminals as high/low/ground.
Then verify your harness H4 plug with a multimeter, so that you know which is which; it should be as Cliff sent in the drawing in previous post. Trust but verify.

If you find that you need to switch any leads, you can remove the back covers on the Fz6 H4 plug and rearrange as required to make things work.

Nix

Reaction score
Visit site
Based on the seller's description at the link you provided in an earlier post, it's plug and play/no ballast or anything else needed.
You might try using a 12V source and verifying the leads on the new headlight, so you know for sure. See what lights it up and mark the terminals as high/low/ground.
Then verify your harness H4 plug with a multimeter, so that you know which is which; it should be as Cliff sent in the drawing in previous post. Trust but verify.

If you find that you need to switch any leads, you can remove the back covers on the Fz6 H4 plug and rearrange as required to make things work.

Whew! I got it working finally! it was indeed plug and play. I don't know how got the leads mixed up but I did.

Working now though! and it looks fantastic!

Thank you for all the help!