2005 FZ6 Wont Turn Over

CIrrthum10

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my 2005 FZ6 today. Its my first bike, great ride! I went out on a ride and parked it and showed the family and such like usual and when i went to start it up again and head out it started for a second and then killed and now the starter turns but it wont fire... Not sure whats wrong... Any ideas?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Side stand switch - I'd put money on it!

Explain your methodology in testing, and we'll see if we can help.

Cheers,
Rick

CIrrthum10

Reaction score
Visit site
How do i fix that? Ive tried starting it with the kickstand up, down, clutch in/out, i charged the battery. When i turn the key it doesnt have the usual priming sound it just turns on the gauges.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your starter is turning the engine over it is not the side stand or clutch safety switch.

How is the fuel in the bike? Has the bike been sitting for a while? There may have been moisture in the fuel tank that created other problems. Check the spark plugs. Are they wet?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
i cant remember 100% but i dont think that the engine will turn over if its the sidestand switch will it? If it will then that could be your problem, the bike has built in saftey so that if the kickstand is down it will automaticaly turn off if the bike is in gear. Also with the switch being like that the will not start if its in gear with the kickstand down.

There is also a tip over switch on the bike so that if you happen to go down, or the bike falls over while its running the switch kills the fuel to the bike to protect the engine. And if your not hearing the fuel pump running that could be it. Also it would be a good idea to check the fuses too.

CIrrthum10

Reaction score
Visit site
If your starter is turning the engine over it is not the side stand or clutch safety switch.

How is the fuel in the bike? Has the bike been sitting for a while? There may have been moisture in the fuel tank that created other problems. Check the spark plugs. Are they wet?

I had just got done riding it so no it wasnt sitting at all. The tank is full so that is not the problem. I smell gas when im trying to start it so i dont think its the fuel pump. This is my first bike so im new on how to fix it. I thought i would have more than a few hours to figure it out... Guess not

CIrrthum10

Reaction score
Visit site
i cant remember 100% but i dont think that the engine will turn over if its the sidestand switch will it? If it will then that could be your problem, the bike has built in saftey so that if the kickstand is down it will automaticaly turn off if the bike is in gear. Also with the switch being like that the will not start if its in gear with the kickstand down.

There is also a tip over switch on the bike so that if you happen to go down, or the bike falls over while its running the switch kills the fuel to the bike to protect the engine. And if your not hearing the fuel pump running that could be it. Also it would be a good idea to check the fuses too.

Thanks ill check the fuses now

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Yes the side stand safety switch should turn the bike off if the side stand is put down while the bike is in gear and should inhibit starter operation if the bike is in gear with the side stand down. Pulling the clutch in may over ride the starter lock out on the FZ6. Either way the engine should start if the starter is turning it over and I think it's a fuel or spark problem.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had just got done riding it so no it wasnt sitting at all. The tank is full so that is not the problem. I smell gas when im trying to start it so i dont think its the fuel pump. This is my first bike so im new on how to fix it. I thought i would have more than a few hours to figure it out... Guess not

A belated :welcome: to the forum!

If you're smelling raw fuel it sounds like it may be flooded. The 2005 also had a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) recall. you might research through a local Yamaha dealer who can look up your serial number to see if the original was replaced. You may need fresh spark plugs if they haven't been serviced.

The next time you try starting it, try it with the throttle wide open so as to get as much air in as possible.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the side stand safety switch should turn the bike off if the side stand is put down while the bike is in gear and should inhibit starter operation if the bike is in gear with the side stand down. Pulling the clutch in may over ride the starter lock out on the FZ6. Either way the engine should start if the starter is turning it over and I think it's a fuel or spark problem.

Does the tip over switch kill the fuel or spark or both?

CIrrthum10

Reaction score
Visit site
A belated :welcome: to the forum!

If you're smelling raw fuel it sounds like it may be flooded. The 2005 also had a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) recall. you might research through a local Yamaha dealer who can look up your serial number to see if the original was replaced. You may need fresh spark plugs if they haven't been serviced.

The next time you try starting it, try it with the throttle wide open so as to get as much air in as possible.

I have paperwork on it showing the recall was serviced. When i turn the key i do not hear the fuel pump priming. Could it be shot? or would a battery issue cause it to not prime?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have paperwork on it showing the recall was serviced. When i turn the key i do not hear the fuel pump priming. Could it be shot? or would a battery issue cause it to not prime?

If the starter turns the engine over there is enough battery for the fuel pump.

Lift the fuel tank and check the fuel pump connections.

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a fuse specifically for the fuel injection system, I think it is with the rest of the fuses in the back under the plastic panel that says fz6 on it. One screw under the seat and a one rubber piece on each end which just pull out. Fuses are in the black case. If you don't have it the service manual is on the forum somewhere or if you PM me I can send you the pdf.

I few fuel related pages from the manual.

CIrrthum10

Reaction score
Visit site
I found the fuses, none were blown. Changed them to make sure and nothing. draining the gas tank so i can check the fuel pump and such. I have narrowed it down to a bad connection, or a faulty fuel pump. Looking at buying used fuel pump... good idea?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can hook up a 12 volt test light or voltmeter to the wires going to the fuel pump (NOT gauge), see if it lights up for a second or two when you first turn the ignition on. If you DO HAVE POWER, time to look closer at the pump..

This thread should help: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/16913-how-do-you-get-fuel-pump-out.html

The below pictures should help. The picture with the circle is the fuel gauge. The filter screen isn't replacable but should be able to be cleaned if its just gunked/varnished up..

Do a search, someone just replaced a pump from another year bike and it fit even thou it had different part #'s. There's usually FZ's bing parted out here on the forum.. I wouldn't hesitate buying a used one from any member here.....

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Make up a little rig you can plug into the fuel pump and put across the battery - if it works, then the fuel pump is ok - if not, then it MAY BE the fuel pump.

Also, chuck a multimeter (or even a test light!) across the power supply to the fuel pump - if it shows adequate voltage - then the fuses etc are ok.

I'd check it before buying a new one.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT - BEATEN!

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
How does the tip over sensor work (can't remember) does it kill the fuel pump? I remember a thread a while back someone had a very similar issue and it turned out that the switch was loose and it wouldn't let the bike start.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Chevy.

It looks like the ECU watches the lean angle switch and if there's an error it probably kills the fuel pump and possibly the FI and spark etc

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How does the tip over sensor work (can't remember) does it kill the fuel pump? I remember a thread a while back someone had a very similar issue and it turned out that the switch was loose and it wouldn't let the bike start.

The switch is under the pod and was mounted sideways if we have the same thread in mind.

Recap:
It was in use and running fine.
It cranks, but no fire.
Side stand and clutch are not locking it out.
Fuses are good. Was that a visual check or Voltage check?
Its not likely the engine lost compression or any of that.

so. . . we have fuel and ignition. IMO, the pump motor is pretty reliable and is "likely fine" but "may have lost power".

Quick options are:
Pull a coil wire, insert another like plug and check for spark.
OR - the lack of the pump priming says lift the tank and check the wires. While there, pull the air box lid and drop a thimble of gas amongst the 4 throttle bodies and hit the starter. Should it fire we run down the power issue to the pump.
IS it TOO late to ask about the start switch being off. Sadly I never use and don't even know if it cranks with it off. lol and 10,000 miles later.

Anyway - the starter circuit cut off relay pretty much runs the the show but I bet you find a loose connector or broken wire at the fuel pump. Oh - does the fuel meter still work and does it have gas?

Last edited: