2006 FZ6 running rich - Oz model

Voz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. So, I picked up a new to me 2006 FZ6 a few weeks back and have noticed it runs rich. Other do not seem to mind it that much but I am finding that I am sensitive to it, to the point that I sometimes shut the engine down at stops as I can not stand the sickly smell blowing over me. It also dries my throat out a little.

Ok, some background:

- Just coming out of winter in Sydney, daily temps about 18-22C (64-71F)
- 68,000 klm (approx 43,000 miles)
- Documented service history by Yamaha dealers
- Noticed a decent layer of oil in the bottom of the airbox, intake side, cleaned out
- OEM Yamaha paper filter looks clean, not changed
- Spark plugs removed, looked a little dark but not completely back or wet, looked in good shape, replaced all 4 with stock NGK CR9EK
- Oil appeared to be overfilled, removed, was pure black as expected, no milky or frothing (oil could be up to 8000 klm old)
- Coolant was just on Low, topped up to Max, level is maintained so far
- No Power Commander or other that I can see (what am I looking for?)
- Drained fuel tank, not sure I got it all out, tipped upside down and connected a hose to the fuel pump and primed ignition. I suspect there was still about 1/2 to 1 L left in.
- Topped up tank, added a 200 ml bottle of Motul Fuel Clean
- Have ridden about 15 klm since the above services

So, I start it up cold and it blows a bit of smoke, all through the rev range except around 4000 rpm. Smells rich, when it warms up there is less smoke but it still smells rich.

It seems to have plenty of power and revs up to the max 13-14K.

The exh pipes have a black powder coating the insides.

Can the exh pipes be adding anything to this? Cat convertors?

Took it back to the non-Yamaha selling dealer today, he held up a piece of white paper to the pipes and revved, not black spots on the paper. Engine was hot, he told me to check this when cold. Did this when cold, no spots until I revved it over 4-5000 rpm then got lots of small black spots on the paper, very dry spots, easy to wipe off like a powder.

Ok, the outcome I am looking for here is trying to understand what services are required to look into and rectify this issue. I will not be doing any of the work myself and am happy to pay a mech familiar with this bike to diagnose and rectify.

What work is likely to diagnose and rectify this?

Do all FZ6 bikes run a bit rich and am I over-reacting?

I have spoken to one mech who says he would remove the throttle bodies and check and clean them, says that is about 4-5 hours work. I presume he would also need to check the injectors and other things?

I have been reading up on CO adjustment, not sure if that is relevant here as it appears to only affect rpm up to 2500-ish, although my main rich problem is noticable when I am stopped so maybe they are relevant?

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
All engines are set to run rich when cold, otherwise they probably wouldn't start when cold. So you should only be concerned about mixture after it's warmed up.

If it is still rich you could check air cleaner, Air Indiction System, check all exhaust bolts are tight, thermostat, engine temp sensor and TPS.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted earlier, check into the CO settings. I'm not sure if its in the owners manual for your location.

Cloggy may have the information you need or if someone can provide a link for his bike. The numbers BTW, from the factory are rarely all the same across the board. The two center cylinders are usually a little richer.

Does anyone know where it would normally (if there is a preferred spot) be installed?

Here's what your looking for if there's an aftermarket PC installed;

https://www.denniskirk.com/dynojet/2006-yamaha-fzs600-fz6.mmy

[MENTION=673]Cloggy[/MENTION], [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rich fuel mix may still be a result of the air filter, especially if it's a paper filter and it got any oil on it. Oil on a paper filter equals restriction. Since Voz says there was oil he had to clean up in the air box why not just put a new air filter in to be safe.

Has the TPS been checked? Unfortunately I have tested TPS's that passed the ohms test and they were still bad. The TPS test procedure can be found here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...talls.html?highlight=Throttle+position+sensor

Good luck and let us know what you find. :)

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a little confused when you said you used a piece Of paper and got black stuff out? Is it gas or oil your looking for here? Some exhaust blow water albeit it would take some force for an fz exhaust and your cat should get the unburnt fuel. If its oil your spitting that's a completely separate issue.

Do you get smoke? Black or white?

A power commander would be pretty obvious on the fazer, its like a 4" x 6" box wired in that says DYNOJET and is red and black.

Then again if your exhaust is spitting some kind of powder then your catalytic converter could be shot, it would also stink but smell like rotten eggs.

Last edited:

Voz

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to all for taking the time to read my post and reply.

There are lots of could be's and maybe's, it's a pain in the arse.

Still looking for someone in Sydney who is a gun on this model, really trying to steer clear of the dealers as I know I will spend a fortune there.

I rode to work today and again I can continue to smell that rich smell even when the engine has warmed up.

Looking at the paper filter, it looks clean, yes there was a bit of oil in the airbox (suspect oil was overfilled?) but the filter looks clean and does not appear to have oil in it. I would have put a new one in if the damn dealers stocked them, even at $50 which is the rrp here.

I think a compression test is required although the bike has plenty of power everywhere so the engine appears good and I am 120 Kg (265 pounds) so it has to haul a fair bit of weight, lol.

I do not really understand the whole CO adjustment thing, best left to pros I suspect. Although maybe I should at least read the values and see what they are. Might try that tonite, will post my readings here.

Once again, thanks for helping out, great community here.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to all for taking the time to read my post and reply.

There are lots of could be's and maybe's, it's a pain in the arse.

Still looking for someone in Sydney who is a gun on this model, really trying to steer clear of the dealers as I know I will spend a fortune there.

I rode to work today and again I can continue to smell that rich smell even when the engine has warmed up.

Looking at the paper filter, it looks clean, yes there was a bit of oil in the airbox (suspect oil was overfilled?) but the filter looks clean and does not appear to have oil in it. I would have put a new one in if the damn dealers stocked them, even at $50 which is the rrp here.

I think a compression test is required although the bike has plenty of power everywhere so the engine appears good and I am 120 Kg (265 pounds) so it has to haul a fair bit of weight, lol.

I do not really understand the whole CO adjustment thing, best left to pros I suspect. Although maybe I should at least read the values and see what they are. Might try that tonite, will post my readings here.

Once again, thanks for helping out, great community here.

Pull the air filter and take it for a spin. If the smoke goes away you know you have a restricted air filter.... :)

Voz

Reaction score
Visit site
Pull the air filter and take it for a spin. If the smoke goes away you know you have a restricted air filter.... :)

Ok, will do. So you think even it it looks ok it could be blocked and the result is a richer fuel mix? Sounds plausible, will try it over the weekend, cheers.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, will do. So you think even it it looks ok it could be blocked and the result is a richer fuel mix? Sounds plausible, will try it over the weekend, cheers.

Just saying. It's a small quick test and can't hurt to try first. When I had my FZ6 we would always notice the richer smell when it was cold, but no black smoke.

Voz

Reaction score
Visit site
I just checked my CO settings

C1 -7
C2. 15

I am. It able to access C3 & C4 unless I am doing something wrong.

Maybe I should play around with these values? Is it increase the number for less fuel?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just checked my CO settings

C1 -7
C2. 15

I am. It able to access C3 & C4 unless I am doing something wrong.

Maybe I should play around with these values? Is it increase the number for less fuel?

First off, RECORD ALL THOSE #'S, write the in the manual or on the garage wall(do not loose them).

Raising the #'s, RICHENS THE MIXTURE, lowering, leans its out.

I don't know what my #'s are (never checked) but yours seems like a wide swing on the same engine. Each engine will be different.

If it was my bike, I think I would re-set all to zero (dead center) and see how it runs smells.. Once you think your in the ball park, do a spark plug check to confirm each cylinder is burning good, leaving a nice tan spark plug.

Obviously, if its black, lean it out some, white-richen it.

I gather, with the above post and the links I posted for the Power Commander, you didn't find anything aftermarket pluged in?

As bad as your richness is, it sounds like a PC loaded with a VERY RICH map (or not functioning properly)..

Voz

Reaction score
Visit site
I have recorded the values. I dropped them both to -7 and removed the air filter. Took it for a ride for about 10 klm I can still smell something but it does not appear as bad. Or maybe I really don't know after a short run, haha.

I love the sound of the air box sucking in air when the air filter is removed! Sadly I will be refitting it straight away, lol.

Definately not power commander or other device fitted that I can see.

I have just lowered both CO values to -15 I will see how it rides in the morning. Might keep lowering those CO values to see if it makes it leaner using the nose test.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a side note as you mentioned the additional sound with the air box..

There is a mod (I haven't done it) where they drill out a part of the air box to hear more intake.

Do a search. If anything, you'll get a little more air and will help lean out the mixture..