2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also... If you're 6'2 the triangle ergonomics of the bike will be the same not matter where the suspension is set. Where you sit in reference to the foot pegs and the handle bars will still be the same. With the suspension set back to factory height the bike parts will have better clearance in more technical turns.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Makes sense :) Darn, more money spent. I wonder if I could sell this one or something.

You could probably sell that shock on the forum and maybe even trade or find a used OEM here.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The shock that is on it now is an aftermarket shock that probably has a shorter length. The short length mean the there is less distance in height between the swing arm and the top off the shock where it is mounted to the frame. This means the frame of the bike will be closer to the ground and the seat height will be lower.

The stock shock will be longer and will increase the distance between the swing arm and the top of the shock where it is mounted to the frame. This means the frame will be farther from the ground and your seat height will be higher,

That means if you remove the shorter shock that has been installed a put the OEM factory shock in, Then drop the fork tubes back down through the triple clamps and the height of the bike will be the height of a factory FZ6. :)

Plus one ^^. Seems the shock, as you adjusted, IS fully extended. Tightening the spring will just make for a stiffer ride, less sag.

Check the for sale section. Many shorter riders lower the bike with links(much cheaper than an aftermarket shock). You can easily sell or trade your Wilbers shock.

The kick stand looks stock from what I can see. YOU, looking close at it, at the welds/paint should indicate if it was shortened (Yamaha doesn't sell a shortened kick stand). As low as your bike sounds it is, I'm surprised the side stand is still working (maybe jambed down into soft ground?)..

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So ,if the rear shock does not have a part to exchange (as manual sais) to lower it,where does this part install to?bottom of the rear shock?
https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/ma-7651193

I looked into that, it replaces the bottom mount point on the shock that mounts to the subframe. I found some info that the stock shock should be 300mm from each hole, so if you wanted to make sure you could measure it. But I think you'd need to take it off for that.

Last edited:

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Plus one ^^. Seems the shock, as you adjusted, IS fully extended. Tightening the spring will just make for a stiffer ride, less sag.

Check the for sale section. Many shorter riders lower the bike with links(much cheaper than an aftermarket shock). You can easily sell or trade your Wilbers shock.

The kick stand looks stock from what I can see. YOU, looking close at it, at the welds/paint should indicate if it was shortened (Yamaha doesn't sell a shortened kick stand). As low as your bike sounds it is, I'm surprised the side stand is still working (maybe jambed down into soft ground?)..

It does not look shortened, I was thinking it would be a replacement, you're right its easy to see a weld.. It's possible maybe the back isn't lowered as much as I think. It does look odd compared to photos but I don't have much to go on for in person comparison. I am also just hoping it is because I don't see how anyone even taller than me could ride it at all, I am scrunched up like a GP rider. Very tight leg bend.

My other reasoning for thinking the back is lowered is looking at how much the front is (bars pulled up through triple 2"). I would hope the owner did the rear to match!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So ,if the rear shock does not have a part to exchange (as manual sais) to lower it,where does this part install to?bottom of the rear shock?
https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/ma-7651193

See the bottom of the shock in this pictorial. Yamaha does not provide a separate part that I know of. The shock comes as is but you can remove that section and put a shorter, aftermarket one on the end of the shaft.
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045b94f8700209bc79415b/rear-suspension

Akybo

Reaction score
Visit site
See the bottom of the shock in this pictorial. Yamaha does not provide a separate part that I know of. The shock comes as is but you can remove that section and put a shorter, aftermarket one on the end of the shaft.
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045b94f8700209bc79415b/rear-suspension
Thank you! The problem is if I can find that original part to buy,as they do not provide this specific part. Maybe I can add some bushings. I'll see these days when I will remove the shock.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you! The problem is if I can find that original part to buy,as they do not provide this specific part. Maybe I can add some bushings. I'll see these days when I will remove the shock.

Maybe you could get a shop to machine you one if you know the OEM dimensions?

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I found a model number on the spring and emailed Wilbers trying to get more info on the spring rate, if its a lowering spring even... hoping for something :)

Number is "59-59/120-130"

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I found a model number on the spring and emailed Wilbers trying to get more info on the spring rate, if its a lowering spring even... hoping for something :)

Number is "59-59/120-130"

The spring is for rate of compression it does not need to relate to the entire length of the shock assembly. So you could have have a short shock with 3 different springs and the shock will still keep the bike at the same height until weight is applied. Spring rate will change sag. Sag is the amount of compression the bike sinks to when your weight is applied to it.

That number may be related to the model shock they sell and they may be able to tell you what the reduction of height(if any) is for that model shock.

The spring does not alter the shock length. :)

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The spring is for rate of compression it does not need to relate to the entire length of the shock assembly. So you could have have a short shock with 3 different springs and the shock will still keep the bike at the same height until weight is applied. Spring rate will change sag. Sag is the amount of compression the bike sinks to when your weight is applied to it.

That number may be related to the model shock they sell and they may be able to tell you what the reduction of height(if any) is for that model shock.

The spring does not alter the shock length. :)

I am hoping you are right that it gives some info. I mentioned spring rate because I am going to have someone help me measure what the sag is with my weight, and see if the current spring is appropriate. I don't know the approx weight or anything at all of the previous owner, so having an aftermarket shock is the wild west in terms of knowing what he ordered from them/how they set it up for his specs.

When I can get the damn bike on the center stand I am going to just remove the shock and measure its actual length out of curiosity, since its an easy job. I have a motorcycle jack but it doesn't fit under the header, it's too tall.

Thanks for being patient while I fumble around how it all works. I found a site that also really helped me understand the preload.

"When you wind on preload, the adjuster starts to push down on the spring and it tries to compress it, but in doing so you are changing the amount of force that the spring pushes straight back up (remember our earlier examples).

That then means that the spring needs MORE weight to be applied to it in order to compress it, thereby cancelling out a portion of the bike’s weight that was originally causing it to compress."
https://lifeatlean.com/teach-me-suspension-everything-preload/

Makes some sense :):)

Last edited:

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Contacted Wilbers suspension and the shock is indeed a lowering shock, and can not be easily set to the standard height they sell (pretty much the same product, you just select between standard or lowered -40mm), needs a bunch of different parts installed, and not available as a kit.

Ordered a used OEM shock and a regular height kickstand. It was said mine is not lowered here, but it is, just a really clean weld so its hard to tell. I looked at a stock size kickstand and could instantly tell, mine is at least 3" shorter.

Will be attempting to sell the Wilbers shock. Too bad because it does have more adjustment than the stock.

Last edited: