2007 FZ6 won't shift into gear

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Brought my bike out for the first ride of the season in some beautiful weather. Headed straight to the gas station, had no issues along the way. The bike was riding just the way I remembered when I put it away for the winter. I filled up at the gas station, and as soon as I went to pull away, I shifted into 1st. Neutral light went off as you'd expect, I let out the clutch and rolled on the throttle and...nothing. Just sat there. The speedometer showed me going 5MPH, and as I revved the throttle, it seemed to think I was moving faster, up to 12 MPH. But I didn't move anywhere. I shifted back to neutral, and then tried shifting back to 1st again. Same thing. Neutral indicator light went off, but I didn't budge. I can let my clutch all the way out, and the bike just sits there "in gear" not moving. I can rev the throttle but the wheel doesn't move, even when up on the center stand and "in gear". I've shifted through every gear with the same results.

The best way I can describe what's happening is that the electrical system gets the message that the bike should be in gear, but the transmission/engine doesn't. There are no broken linkages (visible externally anyways), the shift pedal is still connected where I'd expect it to be, and I don't notice anything different visually from the outside of the bike.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? If it'd be helpful to get a video, I can try to take one and upload it. I don't have one now though and wouldn't be able to get one for a few days.

I'm curious what this could be, and whether it's worth the money to get it fixed. I'm concerned that this issue could be big enough that it's not worth the cost to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appeciated.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Brought my bike out for the first ride of the season in some beautiful weather. Headed straight to the gas station, had no issues along the way. The bike was riding just the way I remembered when I put it away for the winter. I filled up at the gas station, and as soon as I went to pull away, I shifted into 1st. Neutral light went off as you'd expect, I let out the clutch and rolled on the throttle and...nothing. Just sat there. The speedometer showed me going 5MPH, and as I revved the throttle, it seemed to think I was moving faster, up to 12 MPH. But I didn't move anywhere. I shifted back to neutral, and then tried shifting back to 1st again. Same thing. Neutral indicator light went off, but I didn't budge. I can let my clutch all the way out, and the bike just sits there "in gear" not moving. I can rev the throttle but the wheel doesn't move, even when up on the center stand and "in gear". I've shifted through every gear with the same results.

The best way I can describe what's happening is that the electrical system gets the message that the bike should be in gear, but the transmission/engine doesn't. There are no broken linkages (visible externally anyways), the shift pedal is still connected where I'd expect it to be, and I don't notice anything different visually from the outside of the bike.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? If it'd be helpful to get a video, I can try to take one and upload it. I don't have one now though and wouldn't be able to get one for a few days.

I'm curious what this could be, and whether it's worth the money to get it fixed. I'm concerned that this issue could be big enough that it's not worth the cost to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Check your front sprocket I think the nut fell of and it's just spinning.

^^ +1

Take off the three allen cap bolts over the front sprocket and take a look! I think iSteve is correct!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check your front sprocket I think the nut fell of and it's just spinning.

+1^^^^.

You have an 07 with the newer style nut (used to have a newer style nut).

Perhaps the PO, or someone replaced the sprocket and didn't bother peening the locking part of the nut.

The nut is likely gone at this point anyway. The new nut, after tightening down (and after inspecting the shaft and sprocket), it has a raised outer edge, that is peened in over the flat of the output shaft...

Last edited:

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, thank you all for your responses! I'm super relieved to hear that it's likely something as simple as this.

In the following diagram, are parts # 34 and 35 the correct replacement parts I need?:

2007 Yamaha FZ6 FZS6W Parts, 2007 Yamaha FZ6 FZS6W OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Given that I probably won't be able to get to the bike for a few days, I'd like to order the parts now since they're not very expensive, even if this doesn't turn out to be the issue. Since you all seem to be very confident this is the issue, I don't mind plopping down $15 in the hopes that you're all correct.

Thank you guys so much for the help!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, thank you all for your responses! I'm super relieved to hear that it's likely something as simple as this.

In the following diagram, are parts # 34 and 35 the correct replacement parts I need?:

2007 Yamaha FZ6 FZS6W Parts, 2007 Yamaha FZ6 FZS6W OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Given that I probably won't be able to get to the bike for a few days, I'd like to order the parts now since they're not very expensive, even if this doesn't turn out to be the issue. Since you all seem to be very confident this is the issue, I don't mind plopping down $15 in the hopes that you're all correct.

Thank you guys so much for the help!

Yepper, that'll do it..

Possibly a sprocket too if its tore up, but you won't know until your under that cover..

Last edited:

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Pls take a pic of what you find after removing the front sprocket cover.

You guys are absolutely amazing. Removed the cover mid last week, but I'm just getting around to posting the picture now. I'm still waiting on the washer and nut to be delivered (local dealer didn't have them in stock unfortunately), but I tried while I had the cover off to slide the front sprocket back on the gear. I tried everything I could think of without removing the chain to get the sprocket back on the gear, with no luck.

Is there some trick or technique as to how to accomplish this? I can see that the inside teeth of the sprocket need to be lined up with the gear so they can slide onto it, but I'm not sure what the trick is.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, and saving me from taking it to the dealer for what looks to be an easy fix.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are absolutely amazing. Removed the cover mid last week, but I'm just getting around to posting the picture now. I'm still waiting on the washer and nut to be delivered (local dealer didn't have them in stock unfortunately), but I tried while I had the cover off to slide the front sprocket back on the gear. I tried everything I could think of without removing the chain to get the sprocket back on the gear, with no luck.

Is there some trick or technique as to how to accomplish this? I can see that the inside teeth of the sprocket need to be lined up with the gear so they can slide onto it, but I'm not sure what the trick is.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, and saving me from taking it to the dealer for what looks to be an easy fix.

Just loosen the rear wheel, kick it forward some, that'll give you enough play in the chain to slip the sprocket back on. Easy peesy!

Last edited:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Good opportunity to clean and inspect the front sprocket. Hopefully you have the tools you'll need to deal with the rear axle and front sprocket nuts- sockets, breaker bar, torque wrench.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For accurate re-adjustment of the chain after the sprockets on, the chain cleaned and lubed:

(2" is ablut the target play amount you want at the taighest point (it may seem loose but tightens up
when the swingarm gets more horizontal))

Last edited: