2008 Honda CBR1000RR

jkim

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I know this is a Yamaha forum but was just wondering if you folks experience the same kind of noises I hear. When taking off from a stop light, I am guilty of sometimes just letting the clutch out too early and gassing the throttle, bike does not stall or hesitate, but seems like every third take off you would swear the bike was pinging or knocking a little under the helmet but not quite sure. Very subtle but noticeable. Been told by dealer these bikes are not designed to be pulling down that low and I should either launch it at a higher rpm and drag clutch or take off slower and give very little gas. Either way I am wondering if any of you have experienced the same kinds of noises.

Seems strange for a dealer to say that :confused:

They use them in superstock racing,which use a standard lump and I can't really see the racing guys being told to baby it off the line in case it goes pop.
Mine rattles and dings but thats just mechanical noise.I'd be worried if it was silent! :thumbup:

Yeah you're lugging the engine. You need to clutch it longer till you get up to speed. Kinda reminds you of a tractor rumble??? low, throaty, almost sounds like metal clanging together, lots of vibration. Almost like a v-twin atv

Yeah you're lugging the engine. You need to clutch it longer till you get up to speed. Kinda reminds you of a tractor rumble??? low, throaty, almost sounds like metal clanging together, lots of vibration. Almost like a v-twin atv

Basically I take off like an automatic transmission without dragging clutch at all. But I gas it hard so perhaps motor is still trying to catch up. What I have been doing now is taking off a lot slower than gassing it once I get going but by then moms in minivans are passing me. Does not happen all the time when I take off aggressively but a lot

Well thats your problem then, with a 1000 yea you got a lot of power to put to the gears but when you take off at really low RPMs the transmission still has to get up to speed, and in turn it stresses the components of the tranny (bad thing to do). That noise you're hearing is the transmission operating at a very low speed. Kinda like playing a record on the speed slower than it was designed to be played at. Its just like dropping the clutch on a regular vehicle at about 1000 RPMs, it creeps and takes forever to get up and going. Easy way to fix this is just to clutch it longer. There really is no other way around it. Motorcycle engines are designed to run at high RPMs plain and simple.

Well thats your problem then, with a 1000 yea you got a lot of power to put to the gears but when you take off at really low RPMs the transmission still has to get up to speed, and in turn it stresses the components of the tranny (bad thing to do). That noise you're hearing is the transmission operating at a very low speed. Kinda like playing a record on the speed slower than it was designed to be played at. Its just like dropping the clutch on a regular vehicle at about 1000 RPMs, it creeps and takes forever to get up and going. Easy way to fix this is just to clutch it longer. There really is no other way around it. Motorcycle engines are designed to run at high RPMs plain and simple.

After paying big dollars for this motorcycle, I am hoping it will last many years. When I take off, I come out pretty fast blowing traffic away. But this is at the expense of putting a lot of strain on my bearings and journals more than anything else. The other alternative is to launch bike at higher RPM, thus avoiding straining motor, but now I will be using up more clutch plates, accelerating my wear. I guess the best way to avoid any kind of strain is to just take off like a granny but then what's the point of owning a liter bike. To answer the post above this no I am not a new rider at all and certainly would not be riding a 1000cc if I was. Been riding for several years. I do like 600cc bikes better because they are actually more fun to ride. My blade I have lots of mods and it is pretty damn scary, you never want to open her up all the way in 1st gear. This would be a great thing for traction control. If I had so much money and more money than I know what to do, I wouldn't sweat it and just go out and buy another bike after this tanks. But being the state of economy, I am hoping this will last for several years. I got 10,000 miles of taking off coming out of box and so far engine seems unaffected but cumulative...hmmm

well then your best bet would be to do some research, find out what other people have with their experiences. When you think about it, it comes down to which you would rather have: a clutch in good condition or a new engine? The clutch is a wear and tear part and is designed to be replaced. I doubt that the your bike would have been designed with a clutch that would wear out quickly with regular use, unless of course you're smokin it at 7,000 RPMs lol

Not to mention, proper maintenance will be the difference between a hunk of slag and a dependable machine.

Last edited:
well then your best bet would be to do some research, find out what other people have with their experiences. When you think about it, it comes down to which you would rather have: a clutch in good condition or a new engine? The clutch is a wear and tear part and is designed to be replaced. I doubt that the your bike would have been designed with a clutch that would wear out quickly with regular use, unless of course you're smokin it at 7,000 RPMs lol

Not to mention, proper maintenance will be the difference between a hunk of slag and a dependable machine.

Yeah I guess you are right. The only thing that irks me is the fact I put on 10,000 miles riding it like this. I am sure engine was pinging on occasion taking off, but most pinging at very low rpm seldom do damage but over time it can damage it alot. I think as long as I do not beat on it, it will most likely last several thousand miles, probably can easily get 70K on it if I don't abuse it. From now on I am just going to come out of whole slowly.

Don't worry about your clutch, it's a wet clutch. I have over 50,000 miles on my original clutch plates, and I ride my bike in the friction zone all the tiime. I tend to Slow Ride more than the average rider, meaning I try not to put my foot down when traffic is stop n go. Lot's and lots of clutch n throttle control. I came in 3rd out of 20 in a slow ride competition earlier this summer.

Don't worry about your clutch, it's a wet clutch. I have over 50,000 miles on my original clutch plates, and I ride my bike in the friction zone all the tiime....

+1 to that, the clutch is made to be used like this. The 'extra' wear resulting from this kind of use is so minute that it really makes no difference at all.

Try this:

At the red light, rev it to 2,500RPM and then let the clutch go so that it stays at that RPM but the bike starts accelerating.

A engine that labours at throttle and low RPM is more damaging than revving the hell out of it.

The 2008 Blade is known for it's low down torque, but even that probably only starts at 2,500RPM.

Peace

Look for the flapper mod. I think this will help. It seems that the CBR 1000RR needs a little friction zone finesse to get going. In the day when I had a 2007 CBR 2000RR, the flapper mod helped a little.

Basically, there's a flap that restricts air in when below 5K (I think). Doing the flapper mod, removes the restriction. I remember there was more intake growl and the 0mph launches improved a little. The mod is simple, just pull the tube and plug it with an appropriate sized screw.

Dennis

Back