2014 Daytona Bike Week. Part 1 (demo's FZ-09, FJR, Tenere)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mid 70's and sunny!! So nice to see and feel the sun again, after this exceptionally harsh North East winter!

Got plenty of riding in (all of in in a straight line, but at least on non-pothole-riddled, salt-free roads!). Test road 3 bikes too:

Tenere (I've ridden this bike before):

I have to admit it's not my cup of tea. It has pretty good torque, but never feels quick. It seems to like 3k rpm best. At 4, it seems to be spinning higher than its happy zone. At 2, it pulls OK, but doesn't feel all that strong. Wind buffeting is quite bad on this bike. No idea how well this bike does offroad, but for strictly on-road riding, this isn't a great choice, in my opinion.

FJR:

attachment.php

I want to buy this bike, quit my job, point the the bike in a random direction and go until one of us dies! I loved it last time I demo'd it and I love it just as much now. It's an absolute joy to ride. Powerful, smooth, easy to ride, great ergonomics, great handling.

FZ-09:

attachment.php

I know we have several 9 owners on here.. please don't get offended by what I have to say about this bike. This is just my opinion and opinions are like.. well.. you know... everybody's got one!!

Let me start with the good:
The motor is excellent.. plenty of go and very wide power band. Transmission is fairly smooth. It feels as light as its posted weight (that is to say, very light).

Now the things I disliked:
The harshest throttle tip in, by far, of any bike I've ever ridden. It's been a while since I've ridden FZ6, but if I'm not mistaken, FZ6 is downright smooth on the tip in, compared to FZ9. I kept it in STD mode. I'm sure B-mode would help and I can't even imagine what A mode is like.
It's equally bad when it comes to rolling off the throttle. You can try to close it very slowly, but what you get is complete fuel cut-off, which translates to a whole lot of engine braking.
Suspension is soft with what feels like minimal damping. The few curves we took on the demo ride.. the tiniest of bumps seemed to take the bike off its intended line.
The bike made an annoying vibey-farty noise on decel. I'm hoping it's the specific bike I was on and it's not the normal noise these bikes make.
I would not want to own this bike in its stock form. :don'tknow:

Oh and here's another thumbs down to Yamaha (following the crap they pulled with copyright material): I used a suction mount on the tank to shoot a video of demo.. Yama rep walked over and said "Yamaha does not want you to mount a camera anywhere on their bikes". :rolleyes:

Enough complaining.. some pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well adjusted suspension:
attachment.php

Last edited:

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden before (demo rides) both the Super Tenere and FJR.
I completely agree with your opinion on both these bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice report, thanks!

I've readv that both the S10 and FZ9 are completely different bikes after a flash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
S10? :confused: dont know that'n

I know a bunch of guys that have Teneres that ride them almost every day, year round. I personally haven't ridden one but they seem like an amazing bike. My buddy Rick says its the best bike he's ever owned and that says A LOT, coming from a former Yamaha national Rep, and current Kawasaki regional Rep.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycles? I just like seeing the sunshine and blue sky in the pics. Thanks! I'd so much love to be there!!!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have to agree on the "S10" lol I'm not the tallest person but a longer torso and the wind was BAD! As for the power curve - I redline the FZ so you can imagine my opinion on this machine was ah, the same. It had torque and it may very well work in the woods but its not my thing. Yes, every time I looked down, the tach was bouncing off the stopper peg!

I'm pretty sure these are up there for the Clip On CUP HOLDERS!
52297d1394415387-2014-daytona-bike-week-part-1-demos-fz-09-fjr-tenere-nice_setup.jpg

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
S10? :confused: dont know that'n

I know a bunch of guys that have Teneres that ride them almost every day, year round. I personally haven't ridden one but they seem like an amazing bike. My buddy Rick says its the best bike he's ever owned and that says A LOT, coming from a former Yamaha national Rep, and current Kawasaki regional Rep.

Super Tenere = S10 :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'll see you this Saturday. I'm sure I can change your mind after you ride a "well sorted" FZ-09 :)

But honestly agree. Bare minimum you need before event riding the 09 is a ECU flash and a rear shock. I did the $65.00 2008-10 ZX-10 (first one :) ) and fork springs are $84.00.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'll see you this Saturday. I'm sure I can change your mind after you ride a "well sorted" FZ-09 :)

But honestly agree. Bare minimum you need before event riding the 09 is a ECU flash and a rear shock. I did the $65.00 2008-10 ZX-10 (first one :) ) and fork springs are $84.00.

Cool! Yeah, it's like they give you this great platform to start with (FZ9), but you really have to put the work (and few bucks) in to make it as good as it can and should be! :thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
With it atleast 20% than it's competition, it is cheaper to buy a zx shock, different fork oil and a reflash. The power is there and the more aggressive modes really aren't bad after some seat time.

But yes in stock form the suspension ****inhg blow

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site

But honestly agree. Bare minimum you need before event riding the 09 is a giant set of balls and the love to not lean the bike, but to get the front wheel up as high as you can!

Fixed that ;)