30,000 mile bike with perfect givi luggage or clean stock bike with 8k miles?

LockeClone

Reaction score
Visit site
Which would you guys buy?

A high milage bike that's super clean and has $1000 worth of hard luggage on it or a stock machine with low miles that I'll have to figure out a luggage solution for?

Both are 2006 fz6's for the sameish price.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd get the low mileage one and wait for some black friday or Christmas deals on luggage.
Last year I got a pair of Givi E360 for under $190, and a pair of Givi e22 for ~$130. Racks are about $80-90 for top cases, and $110-160 for side cases. I'd pay those extra $400-600 any day, if I could get 22k miles off any of my vehicles.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Posting some pic's, checking maintenance logs and going over the bikes with a fine tooth comb.

The 30,000 mile bike, were the valves checked / adjusted?

I would lean towards the 8,000 mile bike but ONLY after a close inspection (both bikes). Check for rust in the tank for both, chain wear, tire wear /AGE, chain / sprocket wear, etc.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the 30k bike as clean as the 8k? Were they both stored in a garage? Mileage isn't as important as care. Do you plan on putting on an additional 10k miles ot 50k miles?

LockeClone

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll be putting a lot of miles on this bike as a commuter and mild touring machine.

The lower milage bike was sold a few hours ago... Price was right and the owner claimed maintenance was up to date and done by professionals, so that makes sense.

I like the idea of waiting for a sale for hard luggage. And there is another bike for sale about 100 miles away with low milage that looks pristine... For about $400 more... But that is still in my budget.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although gone a bike not stored properly for 12 years may have more issues than a bike with more miles....
Regardless, complete fluid changes would be wise no matter what you bring home.