30k and beating strong

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Needless to say I haven't put all 30k on her (close to 3k) since I got her last year and got through my 1st season of riding. Cranks effortlessly, no issues whatsoever - happy camper am I! :thumbup:

2015-03-14%2014.41.55.jpg

Don't mind the pollen, it comes early this year!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
You've really got to love these bikes. With simple maintenance, they are almost bullet proof. The obvious exception is [MENTION=17345]ChevyFazer[/MENTION] . BlahBlahBlah

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! I'm closing in on 25,000 myself on my 2006. I would be well over 30K if I only had one bike!

You have pollen on your bike but it's 22F degrees? :eek:

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
need to chase you guys' mileage, mine only 20K since I took it from 9,450 Dec 2013 :)

Have you yet done any valve check/adjustment? mine will soon be due once 26K..pretty sure this year needs to have valve check or adjustment if needed!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
need to chase you guys' mileage, mine only 20K since I took it from 9,450 Dec 2013 :)

Have you yet done any valve check/adjustment? mine will soon be due once 26K..pretty sure this year needs to have valve check or adjustment if needed!
I think everyone who's done the first checkpoint has reported that none have needed adjustment:cheer:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! I'm closing in on 25,000 myself on my 2006. I would be well over 30K if I only had one bike!

You have pollen on your bike but it's 22F degrees? :eek:

The glare is killing a 1 in front (engine temp) - I'd parked it and was inside for a bit, and realized I needed to go out and get a snapshot before I forgot! Trees are in full bloom here in GA. Blah

Not as yet. Pretty sure that's why I got it around 27k on the clock (previous owner I suspect was a college kid due to the GT Tech parking tag down the front shock, and didn't want to pay for it - my guess). I should get it done just to be safe, just seems a waste given how it sounds and runs right now. Good bud of mine has a FZ1 and is at 50k w/o a valve job (that's a bit too far for me to let it roll, but his mechanic [also on a FZ1] tells him his bike is fine..). That of course means nothing for my bike - guess I'm being naughty (I *have* changed the oil, lubed the chain, and adjusted my clutch cable!) ;)

Unless anything odd crops up before Fall, I suspect this will be a year-end job for me to save up for this year.

I think everyone who's done the first checkpoint has reported that none have needed adjustment:cheer:

Reports like this and given how well she runs, is one reason I've 'let it roll' a bit over that 26k check in. But, it's time is indeed coming soon.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
You've really got to love these bikes. With simple maintenance, they are almost bullet proof. The obvious exception is [MENTION=17345]ChevyFazer[/MENTION] . BlahBlahBlah
Lmao hey my fz6 was still taken a licken and kept on ticken after 70,000 miles, a frame break, oil pan break and few other self inflicted issues. They really are incredible bikes, even with being thrashed! Just wish my fz1 was as strong :(

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

There are some exceptions out there; mine being one of them. I'm pretty sure the valves needed adjustment by 5,000 miles as it had some "Tap Tap Tap" sounds from the exhaust side of the head. At ~20,000 I pulled the cover and found 3 exhaust valves loose enough to make noise and out of spec. Correcting the lash to "in spec" made it quiet.

A little history: Original owner had the Yamaha shop change the oil 600 miles. I bought it with 4,000 and the 600mi OCI was its ONLY oil change and with dino fluids. Is that why? IDK

Many hint at chain failure making noise but you listen to that same engine and its 1/2 crank speed tap tap tap which is a loose valve. Bring them into spec and the top end is quiet! Its night and day!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are some exceptions out there; mine being one of them. I'm pretty sure the valves needed adjustment by 5,000 miles as it had some "Tap Tap Tap" sounds from the exhaust side of the head. At ~20,000 I pulled the cover and found 3 exhaust valves loose enough to make noise and out of spec. Correcting the lash to "in spec" made it quiet.

A little history: Original owner had the Yamaha shop change the oil 600 miles. I bought it with 4,000 and the 600mi OCI was its ONLY oil change and with dino fluids. Is that why? IDK

Many hint at chain failure making noise but you listen to that same engine and its 1/2 crank speed tap tap tap which is a loose valve. Bring them into spec and the top end is quiet! Its night and day!
Interesting, well you're certainly the minority it would seem. I hope mine are golden at 26K

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting, well you're certainly the minority it would seem. I hope mine are golden at 26K

I'd guess there are more/some unreported... :don'tknow: Even members who checked them, saw them out and left it as it wasn't "too far out" for them. For the most part; if you can get a TB sync within a few mmhg AND its NOT tapping, its **potentially** OK!!

FWIW: All intakes were in spec. All exhausts were out of spec. 3 were further out than the others and I could hear those tap.

A 48 sec MP3 AUDIO CLIP.... The first 10 sec and from 35 to the end is the most noticeable (tap noise).
CLICK --> SoundCloud MP3 Cam lash taps (before adj)...

55638-valve-clearance-adjustment-valve-lash-left-jpg

sheltiedave

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is just shy of 27,000 miles just now , but should be 30,000 this year bearing in mind she's not an everyday used bike .

Since we're talking about valves , mine were done at 26,000 and were with in spec . When should they be checked again ?

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cleared 30,000 last year and it's still running strong with no mechanical issues as of yet. I did a valve adjustment last year and all of my exhaust valve were quite far off from spec. My results are here : http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/53398-valve-clearance-adjustment.html

My bike is just shy of 27,000 miles just now , but should be 30,000 this year bearing in mind she's not an everyday used bike .

Since we're talking about valves , mine were done at 26,000 and were with in spec . When should they be checked again ?

Check every 26,000 miles. So again at 52,000.