73 beetle keeps blowing signal fuse

mattmro444

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, looking for VW guru's.
At the collision center I work at we just repainted a mint condition 73 Super beetle with only 53K orig miles. When I say this car is mint, its truly MINT! Original owner and completely unmolested since new. Full service history since 73'. Original everything in perfect condition. Its literally a little old man’s car. It’s his pride and joy.

Anyway, it keeps blowing fuse number 12 as soon as you turn on the signals. I'm thinking its a ground on either the front or rear signal lamps. Also when turning on the hazards it pops that fuse too.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its old AND its German made! What do you expect! :eek:

Reminder - this is a motorcycle forum and this post is more suited for none- motorcycle section of the fourm. It will be moved.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull all the lamps and inspect that the contacts in socket are integrated and not out of the insulator disk. Be sure the pigtail assembly is spring loaded. Examine the lamp bayonet prongs are properly turn as well as having the correct lamp in each socket. For example: 2 contacts in the socket = 2 buttons at the bottom of the lamp. 1 contact in the socket = 1 button at the bottom of the lamp. I found a schematic and I'm trying to see how they wired this bug....

I can tell you that people have mistaken black wires for ground on VWs and that has caused problems. Brown is the color code for ground on the bug. :)