86 Fz 600 with fuel in the oil

Alan

Reaction score
Visit site
so with the rain that hit California recently my bike sat for about a week without any decent running :spank: went out to start it up earlier this week and found a puddle of fuel under the left side of the bike dripping from the pick-up coil case. did a little looking and found the bike had been draining fuel into the crankcase, so last night took the carbs off and cleaned em out. they looked damned good but figured that could've been the problem. I didn't replace the seats and needles like i probably should but they didn't look like they needed it. drained and replaced the oil and put em back on. went out this morning and saw another puddle of fuel, and sure enough theres more fuel in the oil :banghead:did a little research and sounds like a bad petc0ck might cause the same thing. went and checked and sure enough the petc0ck is letting fuel through when it shouldn't. so the bike is sitting with a spare line running from the petc0ck to a bucket with the line pinched in a pair of vice grips.

My plan now is to try and find a carb and petc0ck rebuild kit from somewhere (any ideas?) and rebuild/replace both then see how it goes.

Am i following the same steps you guys would? would a pet0ck really cause this problem? and any idea of a reputable place to get kits for this bike? the ocal shop doesnt have the listing for the FZ600 only a rebuild kit for the FZR600.

Last edited:

Alan

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the pet**** was leaking after the engine was off so ordering a rebuild kit and probably some needles and seats (even though they looked good). Am i wrong in the assumption that the carbs should be cutting off the fuel into the crankcase if the needles/seats are good? im going to try to check the fuel level while im tearing things up as well.

Any other ideas?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The floats in the carbs should stop fuel from overflowing. But You may also have a vacuum hose connected to the petc0ck that works a diaphragm to turn the fuel on and off. Could be the diaphragm is damaged and is letting fuel past into the vacuum hose and into the intake manifold. All these parts should be in the rebuild kit.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
True - the needles should stop the fuel as should the pet****.
You might try turning the p/c off and letting the engine run until its out of fuel and dies. Simply pull the drain plug from each of the bowls and see which one is leaking. Likely only one is causing the issue but maybe not?

Careful as there will be fuel present eve after it dies so don't make sparks or none of that jazz causing a fire.

Also if this continues to happen that gas is washing the oil off the cylinders, pistons, and rings so during start-up, that engine is not seeing allot of lube in the upper end. Does it smoke after starting it from sitting like that?

You might pull the plugs and add a dash of oil into the open holes if this happens again.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the pet**** was leaking after the engine was off so ordering a rebuild kit and probably some needles and seats (even though they looked good). Am i wrong in the assumption that the carbs should be cutting off the fuel into the crankcase if the needles/seats are good? im going to try to check the fuel level while im tearing things up as well.

Any other ideas?

All it takes is a little rust or debris to hold the needle off the seat and cause a leak. Make sure it has a good in line fuel filter (metal housing only) and maybe rinse the tank.

Alan

Reaction score
Visit site
just got back from vacation and plan to rebuild the petc0ck and then replace needles/seats and clean the carbs good. while I'm at it I should replace the in-line fuel filter i have in it. just need o get the time to do it. I'm really wary about running the engine much just because of the amount of fuel let through and how thin it's making the oil.we'll see how she behaves after i finish that.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
just got back from vacation and plan to rebuild the petc0ck and then replace needles/seats and clean the carbs good. while I'm at it I should replace the in-line fuel filter i have in it. just need o get the time to do it. I'm really wary about running the engine much just because of the amount of fuel let through and how thin it's making the oil.we'll see how she behaves after i finish that.

A bad float could also do this so check them as well to see if any are allowing fuel to leak inside them. I would definitely change the oil if it has taken on that much fuel in the crankcase.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

If it gives you any piece of mind, they used to deliberately dilute oil in engines using gasoline to prevent it from gelling in super cold weather. It does flash off as the engine warms. You would NOT want to ride it and place it under load tho as you could damage the engine. I would NOT recommend it!!!! Plus it could have explosive consequences. Be careful how you store this used oil and leaking gas.

** Change the oil and leave the filter in place ** Its cheap insurance.

Also, squishing the fuel line could have some negative consequences. If its deteriorating at all, it could palce small particles into the fuels system which sticks the needles open!

My mistake; do these carbs have floats?
^+1 to the post above to say weigh the floats! Or shake and listen to confirm they are not full of fuel (sunk).

Last edited:

Alan

Reaction score
Visit site
A bad float could also do this so check them as well to see if any are allowing fuel to leak inside them. I would definitely change the oil if it has taken on that much fuel in the crankcase.

thats what we thought as well this weekend i took the floats out and checked 'em they seemed like a solid chunk of plastic/foam so we set em in a bucket with a little fuel for an hour or two and had no change in the level they floated at.

The floats in the carbs should stop fuel from overflowing. But You may also have a vacuum hose connected to the petc0ck that works a diaphragm to turn the fuel on and off. Could be the diaphragm is damaged and is letting fuel past into the vacuum hose and into the intake manifold. All these parts should be in the rebuild kit.

I'm thinking this might be the big problem. i ordered a rebuild kit and needles/seats today when they get in they'll all go on and hopefully the leak will be gone as well.

as a side note, when we get these carbs together im going to want to check the fuel level in the bowls. any ideas on an adapter to fit in the drain?

Thanks for all the help guys!!