A couple of questions

chris2332

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Just joined the forum, name is Chris for London.

Got my FZ6 S2 a few days back and it's approaching 16K miles.

Was wondering if there is anything in particular I should be aware of or any usual issues that come out around that mileage.

I will be changing tyres, so any suggestions are more than welcome.

Was also thinking for an aftermarket exhaust, heated grips, mod in headlights so both are dimmed (rather than one), radiator guard, and maybe an aftermarket handlebar.

Next service is in May (1 year from the previous one) but was wondering if I need one sooner since it is approaching 16K miles.

Thanks,
Chris.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Chris!

If you have an owners manual, it pretty much goes thru most everything needed to be done.

Brake fluid, fork oil, engine oil/filter and a clean, well lubed AND PROPERLY adjusted chain comes to mind. A well lubed clutch cable is a good habit to get into..

The bike overall is pretty bullet proof. Are you going to be storing it for over a month? If so, store with a FULL TANK with a fuel STABILIZER in it.

Extra wattage for accessories IS limited. The BD43 dual headlight mod is about the most popular and best engineered IMO...

You may also get the battery "Load Tested" if you don't know its age. Generally, average life is 3-5 years...

The RED KILL switch (on the handle bars) is about the weakest point on the bike. IMO, DO NOT USE it unless in an emergency. The spring/contacts inside tend to loosen with use (causing intermediate engine failure usually at a bad time)...

If you need the owners manual, PM me, I have it as a PDF.

Others will chime in, enjoy!!!!

Last edited:

chris2332

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Scott, thanks a lot mate for the advice.

I do have the owners manual, so I'll have a look. Not very engineering savvy unfortunately.

Regarding the clutch, it seems that I need to release almost half way for it to engage. Is that normal or do I need to look at the tension?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi and welcome! Unless it has history of everything being done; I'd start with brake fluid purge and pressure bleeding, a coolant flush, and the tires. While the front tire os off it's just a few more bolts and the forks come off for fluid change.

Do you have time, tools and a place to do any of this work or do you rely on others? Most of these processes have been documented here on the forum so a couple of searches will yield some information if you are the DIY kind of owner...

Be safe!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Scott, thanks a lot mate for the advice.

Regarding the clutch, it seems that I need to release almost half way for it to engage. Is that normal or do I need to look at the tension?

That's normal as well as a very SHORT ENGAGEMENT ZONE. For new riders its a PIA, but with a little seat time, you'll get used to it. You can actually shift faster with the shorter zone once you get it down...

But keeping the clutch cable lubed and adjusted per the manual (and the drive chain) are about the easiest and "biggest bang for the buck".

Read up on the proper chain tension in the manual as the FZ has a VERY LOOSE chain that is OFTEN adjusted TOO TIGHT, even by shops (besides NOT being good for the bike, will make strange noises and vibs)...

chris2332

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for the replies.

Unfortunately I do rely on others for even small things as am really bad mechanically and don't wanna mess anything up.

Regarding the clutch, yeah I assume I will get used to it... it's just in my previous bike it wasn't so loose.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Honesty is good!!

The owners manual is made/written for the non-mechanic. Basic stuff (say chain adjustment/lubing) can be done with the tools in the under seat kit. If you can operate a spray can of paint, you can lube a chain...

I'd read the manual several times, look it up here if need be and start small.

Don't sell yourself short...