A crash.

He lost half of one of his legs. I think he has paid for his mistake. Let's stop bashing the kid.

Not knowing this kid I can not say for sure but I think by his actions that if it was not a motorcycle at 157 MPH it could have been some other method that would have but him into harms way. When I was a teenager most of kids did not have motorcycles but we found ways to do stupid things like dive off bridges, climb 350 ft light towers, ride on the hood of a car at 120 mph, drink a bottle of Seagram Seven in 30 minutes, etc. Being a teenager is like being on a roller coaster, mostly for the parents. The problem with some parents is they have a kids that are overly self absorbed and the parents provide the means to dangerous devices like motorcycles or cars because of their own selfish pride and ignorance. Hulk Hogan is a good example of one in the media with his 17 year old son street racing and permanently disabling his friend in an accident.

The possibility of regulating these super fast motorcycles out of the market in the US is a reality. For instance back in late 60s early 70s one could go into a Ford dealership and purchase a car that was basically like a stock car which could go over 200 MPH right out of the show room. That option did not last too long for the consumer.

I am sure this young man will get a new perspective on life but unfortunately for him and his family he had to lose a leg and almost kill himself. There has to be a better way to teach our children how to value their lives if not for them than for their family.

Where did you guys see that he lost part of a leg?

Agreed with respect to the graduated licensing. But I also have the same opinion for regular driver's licenses too - a "regular" license gets you into a full size or smaller auto or 1/2 ton pickup truck, perfectly fine for getting to work or taking your family around . If you want to drive a large pickup or SUV, you need to take a supplemental test for that (regardless of the driver's age).

Sorry, if you want to drive a vehicle that is larger or faster than a "regular" auto, you should have to demonstrate to the licensing authority that you are capable of doing so. I am all for graduated licensing.

Dude's cell phone number is posted on the FB page, deep into the comments if anyone wants to call the genius and wish him well. :)

Although I agree that he was criminally reckless by driving that fast on a public road (not to mention drunk), endangering other people, I also feel some compassion for him as well. People - especially young, male people - do incredibly, incomprehensibly stupid things in, around and with motorized vehicles.

I remember going to street races (drag races) when I was in high school - lots of kids my age did it then. Now I didn't personally run my car, because I was afraid of my parents' reaction if I were to get busted, but I went and was part of that culture. It was stupid for sure, but fortunately I/we survived my/our youth; many people do not and I knew a few who didn't. I also used to climb trees, scale cliffs and buildings without ropes, and played with firecrackers when I could get them. We did all kinds of dumb sh*t (though no DUI).

I remember once, when I took this community policing class at my local PD a couple of years ago, one of the traffic cops told our group "Now, if we can just figure out how to get young male drivers to slow down, the streets would be a lot safer. Them, and the drunks ..."

Reading through his FB page, he seems like an idiot. Kind of a douche bag, not the kind of person I would hang out with. But, he is human, and people do stupid, reckless things sometimes. If he had injured anyone other than himself, I would have an entirely different attitude toward this accident and this young man.

The DUI aspect can't be forgiven, I agree. Too many people have been killed this way to explain that part of it away even if he didn't hurt anyone else ... this time.

Sorry for the long rant - bored at work here. :rolleyes:

He told me on FB. He's not a bad kid. Just young and not very smart when it comes to stuff like this it seems.

But he has paid the price (albeit a minimal one) for his transgression.

I used to work with a guy who did the same thing when he was young. Lost one leg completely. He's much older now, but the thing he told me that will always stick with me is "if I had a bike again, I'd probably do the same damn thing". I think there's a personality thing involved, the "thrill seeking gene" or something. I do feel for this kid as well, and maybe it's more society's fault, but it's always good to be reminded of the inherent dangers of riding irresponsibly.

Back