A little help, please

just save yourself the trouble (and pain) and follow the twi.

twi?

Darn photobucket's killing me. I got one photo:

utf-8BSU1HMDAxODUtMjAwOTA0MjgtMT-1.jpg

Ok... good start, Norm! What I eamnt though was to put the edge of the penny in the spot with the least amount of tread depth, standing up then snap a pic at angle looking across the tire into the face of the penny.

Like this:
tire_wear_penny.jpg

But, based on the new photos, It looks like there's more tread there than meets the eye in the first photos. Not sure I'd change them out just yet.

Ah, sorry. I thought you were trying to gauge how much of the tire I was using, ie looking to see if there was wear at the edges. When I first got the Fizz one of my buddies was telling me he could tell I wasn't leaning enough since the edges weren't worn.:spank:

Last edited:
Ah, sorry. I thought you were trying to gauge how much of the tire I was using, ie looking to see if there was wear at the edges. When I first got the Fizz one of my buddies was telling me he could tell I wasn't leaning enough since the edges weren't worn.:spank:

;) Oh no! I'd never fault someone for chicken strips. To me, it means you're just getting off the seat more and not having to lean the bike as far. :D

Nope, just looking for the actual and least amount of tread depth you show on your tire so the folks here can make a more informed opinion on your replacement. :thumbup:

I think you've still got a few miles left in them. Mine still work and they are a little worse.

:spank: I know, I know :p

yea.. but do you wanna risk it for a few extra miles???? i suppose it depends on the rider... but with the economy in the tank and i do see alot of ads for tires at good discounts, why not take advantage now insted of possibly missing out on a good tire deal later... 2 cents :)

I think you've still got a few miles left in them. Mine still work and they are a little worse.

:spank: I know, I know :p

Well I thought I was getting down OK in the turns but you've got a great wear pattern right across the length of the tire if I'm seeing this correctly.

LERecords, I agree. I think I can get more wear but I like to know I can take my bike out rain or shine, plus I may want to do a 2 or 3 day trip this summer and don't want to get caught "in between" tire changes.

yea.. and if you bring it to the dealer.. well its just about summer.. lots of people making appointments... call soon.. really.. i fishtailed the bike something feirce going strait toward a drop off with only that thick cable wire fencing they put on roads to stop me.. after that close call, i went and got a new tire.. skidding and fishtailing are a horible experience... i made it out ok.. but why chance it.. especially if your going on a trip and its only money man :)... oh and cycle gear has good deals, and motor-cycle superstore.com is having some sales.. im sure there are more out there... good luck and see you on the road (as opposed to skidding off :thumbup: )

yea.. and if you bring it to the dealer.. well its just about summer.. lots of people making appointments... call soon.. really.. i fishtailed the bike something feirce going strait toward a drop off with only that thick cable wire fencing they put on roads to stop me.. after that close call, i went and got a new tire.. skidding and fishtailing are a horible experience... i made it out ok.. but why chance it.. especially if your going on a trip and its only money man :)... oh and cycle gear has good deals, and motor-cycle superstore.com is having some sales.. im sure there are more out there... good luck and see you on the road (as opposed to skidding off :thumbup: )

Thanks very much. You make perfect sense. With a little luck I'll have the new tires on by Friday afternoon.

Well I thought I was getting down OK in the turns but you've got a great wear pattern right across the length of the tire if I'm seeing this correctly.

LERecords, I agree. I think I can get more wear but I like to know I can take my bike out rain or shine, plus I may want to do a 2 or 3 day trip this summer and don't want to get caught "in between" tire changes.

Lots of winding mountain roads around here. I love the twisties :rockon: Yeah the tire is done for though..I'm afraid to ride her on them. I'm still trying to decide whether I should ride to the dealer and have them replaced or just take off and bring in the tires.

Lots of winding mountain roads around here. I love the twisties :rockon: Yeah the tire is done for though..I'm afraid to ride her on them. I'm still trying to decide whether I should ride to the dealer and have them replaced or just take off and bring in the tires.

depends... do you mind spending a little extra to have them do the work, or do you know how to put a tire back on correctly??? I just let a motorcycle repair shop do it.. cheaper than a dealer and i could bring whatever tires.. i think it was $70 for them to take off the old ones, put on the new ones, and then all the disposal fee's... it may have been expensive, but hey, i didnt have to worry about it.. :thumbup:

Well, got the new sneakers put on yesterday. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it. Michellin Pilots:

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTEtMjAwOTA1MDEtMTU1N.jpg

(nothing's leaking, it's just a rainy, drizzly day)

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTAtMjAwOTA1MDEtMTU1N.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTItMjAwOTA1MDEtMTU1N.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTMtMjAwOTA1MDEtMTU1N.jpg

They feel good. I'm riding a little cautious though because everyone and their brother told me to be careful with new tires (slippery). I started leaning a little more after 50 miles today and it felt fine. I can't say I notice a difference from the Dunlops yet but I'll post some impressions again after I get a few more miles on it. I've always been partial to Michelin's for my car.

Oh yea, price. They charged me $155 front, $185 back, and $50 for the labor. Best I could knock them down to.

eh.. times are tough and they gotta get paid too... thats not a bad price at all... i definitly paid more when i had mine changed...

My dad had me type up a form that our customers sign. Basically we say first 100 miles. Reason being a few years back we had a customer that always sent his buddies to pick up his bike. Basically he called etc. and said so and so is gonna come and get my bike.... etc.... It was in for 2 new tires! near where I live there is a road that goes almost straight up hill for a great deal and it is 2 lanes one way.... Him and a buddy topped that hill at roughly 125mph. The buddy that picked up the bike did not have a license nor did he have any experience... not something we knew nor would ask.... We were told he was picking up the bike... Anyway front tire came off the ground and when it touched front washed out and kid it the ground and then hit a concrete retaining wall.... needless to say he didn't survive. Family tried to come back on us saying we didn't warn him the tires were slippery.... We had no problem getting out of it since one of our very good customers was on the local pd... He vouched that we make sure every customer new! Anyway its better to be safe than sorry!

Back