Help me understand wind blast (>110 kph)

K

KT_moto

Hi!

I've been searching like crazy to understand if I am asking too much from the situation, or if there is something that I can actually do, to make things more bearable.

The situation:
  • Yamaha FZ6 S2 (naked) from 2008
  • Helmet: Scorpion EXO-1400 AIR ATTUNE MATTE BLACK
  • Windshield: Touring Windshield - 41cm tall (screenshot attached)
  • My height - 184 cm
I want to use this bike for touring (at least to be able to do some rides of 200-300km in a day).

The issue:
This is mostly a highway scenario, where you would want to maintain these speeds for a long time.

Starting from 110kph, wind becomes a problem. It flicks my head left and right, considerably. On a 2 - 4 hour ride, it would become really unpleasant and taking break every 30 minutes is not ideal.
In range 110 - 130kph, it becomes less of a "flicking" and more of a "vibration" thing. I can only keep it for a modest 30 seconds, before I have to pull on the slow lane to go back to 100kph.

If these speeds are normal, then I am ready to end this topic here and consider other bikes, that would better fit my need. However, I have seen bikers not even breaking a sweat at 150kph.
What also puzzles me is that I have read that some riders with the same bike/height have no issue riding some 5k miles (touring) with the bike and I simply don't see it possible. A single day is killing me, let alone 1 full week of this craziness.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• windshield.png
    windshield.png
    313.4 KB · Views: 4

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Remove your windscreen and see if the airflow is less turbulent. Obviously there will be more air, but it will be smoother over your body/helmet. I removed the fairing from my FZ6 to make it more comfortable. It was the best mod I ever made to the bike.

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not so much the bike as it is the windscreens and helmets in use that cause these effects. It's really a game of trial and error between the combination of screen, helmet and rider. Your height and riding stance have something to do with the equation as well.
I have a simple fly screen as you can see in my little pic there. I have used a Sedici Sistema and an LS2 Valiant II with this bike.
They are both modular. The Valiant II has the feature to swing the chin bar behind the head and ride with an open face with the visor down, or even remove the visor and pack it if you like. I ride with it in both open and closed face depending on weather, which in spring and fall may be cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon, plus closed face is pretty nice in rain. I've not had any problems with turbulence with either helmet, and they are not expensive types.
One of the features of this bike is you can usually adjust how you sit on it. Low speeds sit up straighter and higher. Higher speeds lean forward and shift your seating more rearward. When I'm doing less than 50 (my speeds in MPH) I'm sitting pretty straight up. Between 50 or greater, I lean forward enough that the screen is deflecting wind over me. You get a feel for the spot you want to be in at what speed you are going with what you have on.
The touring market focused bikes, at least the Goldwings, are usually equipped with windscreens that can be adjusted electrically on the fly.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Crap - ignore all this, re-read and your bike is Naked. Doh!!
_______
I have an S1, and have replaced the stock windscreen with a Givi - which is _marginally_ taller. It's enough that I no longer have an issue (or it's less of an issue... or I'm used to it?). I've done long days (~750 miles) without feeling like my head is bounced around or anything.

I think - if you want - with an S2 you have some additional, _taller_ options for 3rd party windscreens (with the bike's age, not sure how many are still available).
https://puigusa.com/en/bybike/yamaha_fz6-fazer-s2_2007 - for example

Some others on here I think used a visor add-on with success - I personally hate the look. But I agree with @bryancraftyhands in that it's a game of trial and error for you, your height, how you sit, etc. Personally I'm not sure I could do long touring without some form of wind protection.

K

KT_moto

When I'm doing less than 50 (my speeds in MPH) I'm sitting pretty straight up. Between 50 or greater, I lean forward enough that the screen is deflecting wind over me.
This is what I have been doing since I've gotten the windshield and it is pretty effective. But there are a few caveats:
  • When leaning forward, I cannot look in the rearview mirrors, so I cannot see the cars behind. I don't know when someone wants to pass, unless I peek every 10-20-30 seconds.
  • I would like to take my girlfriend with me and leaning forward in that context doesn't sound comfortable (though I never tested it yet)
Basically, what I am trying to achieve in the end is to be comfortable when driving alone, so that when I take my girlfriend, she won't have to go though the trials and errors.
Remove your windscreen and see if the airflow is less turbulent.
I have added the windshield because I was hoping to make it more bearable at highway speeds. I don't know what kind of neck muscles you would need to withstand 1-2 hours of 110+ kph.
Before the windshield, it was less turbulent, but full blast gets tiresome.

What I intend to test:
I will try to tilt the windshield a bit more so that the wind would fall even lower on the chest. Maybe this will help, but I have little expectations.

If I were to estimate, the wind right now is falling somewhere on the neck.
Normal position = below average turbulence
Slouched position = noticeable turbulence
Neck extended = least turbulence

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the mirror conundrum.
For one, don't worry about who wants to pass. They will if they can and want to. Your bigger need for mirrors is to check before you change lanes and to keep a tally of whats around you in case you need to, especially fast.
Mirrors on a naked never seem to be in an ideal position for me. My shoulders are wide and I am a little on the tall side, so my elbows are always in the way. I've tried a few different mirrors and the set I have now is half decent. There are handle bar end mirrors that can be used as well. You could install both types. Another option is stick on parabolics. They can be used to increase your field of view and be able to see from more than one angle.
As you gain the experience, any rider you have would follow your body angle as you change. It becomes second nature. On sport bikes with angled seats, like ours, there will be a lean forward anyway. Touring bikes seats are designed to have both riders sitting straight up or even able to lean back.
The wind screen would usually be tilted to direct the flow of air over your head. Again it's a trial and error thing. There is no one size fits all, and you would find what you are comfortable with. Then when you take on a passenger, you may need to change it again.
In the end, if long distance rides are your main goal, you may want to get a touring model. The seats are also built with passenger comfort in mind as well as the operator. Ours aren't bad, but in my experience the average passenger gets some fatigue in about an hour to 90 minutes on them. You may be able to shop for a different seat too. If you like the sport look, look into sport tours like the FJ series. The FZ is more of a commuter all arounder type. Good for sport, but not as good as a super sport. Good for tour, but not as good as a tour. It's like a crossover in the bike world.

Last edited: