About to pick up a 2005 FZ6 - anything I should know?

RossW

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,
I'm about to pull the trigger and possibly pick up a used FZ6 this weekend!
It'll be my first streetbike and im stoked. I've been riding dirt for years and took MSF a year ago, so I think I'm applicable to get onto the street and feel somewhat confident about my riding technique.

Anywho, I'm looking at a 2005 FZ6 that I found on craigslist. The guy has apparently babied it and for the most part, garaged it most the time. It's all stock, and has 5500 miles on it. I made a deal with the dude to pick it up for $2900... what ya think?

Is there anything I should know about the FZ6 as compared to the other year models? I know the apparent differences with the 06 having a black frame and engine, 07-09 having the newer (I like it better) tach, and that sort of thing. Any recalls or problems with the 05 year?
Thanks for any good info!

Hey all,
I'm about to pull the trigger and possibly pick up a used FZ6 this weekend!
It'll be my first streetbike and im stoked. I've been riding dirt for years and took MSF a year ago, so I think I'm applicable to get onto the street and feel somewhat confident about my riding technique.

Anywho, I'm looking at a 2005 FZ6 that I found on craigslist. The guy has apparently babied it and for the most part, garaged it most the time. It's all stock, and has 5500 miles on it. I made a deal with the dude to pick it up for $2900... what ya think?

Is there anything I should know about the FZ6 as compared to the other year models? I know the apparent differences with the 06 having a black frame and engine, 07-09 having the newer (I like it better) tach, and that sort of thing. Any recalls or problems with the 05 year?
Thanks for any good info!
Front sprocket washer recall and TCP recall. Both covered by Yamaha.

Nelly

Try to lift with your legs, so you don't strain your back.

Oh wait, never mind! :rolleyes:

Congrats on the new purchase, and welcome! :welcome:

that its one hell of a bike.. welcome to the forum :welcome:

I have an 05 and cant say enough good things about it.. :thumbup:

I bought my 2004 a year and a half ago with 2,800 miles on it. Now has 16,500! :)
Stuff to look at/for are the headset bearings which seem to be a problem in the early years. Also replaced the timing chain tensioner - easy job. Routine maintenance has included changing coolant, brake fluid, oil & filter, aligning the wheels (string method). Mods include dual headlight, LED taillight (Clear Alternatives with stock lens), a second LED brakelight and Michelin Road 2CT tires. The stock BridgeSTONES were BAD.

You will not regret the FZ6 - a great combination of sport, touring, commuting - a real do it all bike.

Being a new rider, be very careful, practice, know how to countersteer, use the front brake, etc. Under 8,000 it is a docile bike but over 8,000 things can happen very quickly. If you are not mentally ready for the quick accumilation of speed it is very possible to arive at a point going much more quickly than you are capable of dealing with.

Picked it up today!

Rode with my roommate (roommate was meeting family for lunch, so I tagged along) from San Luis Obispo to Los Angeles. The bike was in great condition, other than a few minor scratches from a garage 0mph drop. 5315 miles on the bike. Took it for a test ride (1st gear around the neighborhood, not the best for evaluating) but nonetheless LOVED it. First thing I noticed was how sweet a spot the clutch has to engage a gear... not sure if this is normal with most street bikes, but I know as being a dirt rider I have a lot more play with it.

The bike was clean looking, and mechanically strong. The previous owner had tons of backup receipts from services, and I made the deal for $2900.

I got my first lesson of a ride driving 300 miles (mostly freeway... rear-end numb as hell) back from LA. I laughed, I cried, I had a helluva time riding my first streetbike.

This bike picked up speed QUICK. It seemed like after moving from the flow of traffic, 95 mph could hit like nothing. DEFINITELY have to be more aware of the speedo if I want to continue to stay ticket free.

Also experienced a mild goof up, no drop thankfully. I was tailing my roommates mustang when we got off of a twisty high mountain road. He's notorious for going into turns fast, and he entered the freeway at a speed I should have been a little reluctant to follow. Long story short, I realized I didn't like my speed turning into the freeway entrance so I worked my brakes a fraction to late to be comfortable. I'm used to using my front (dirtbiking) more than anything else, but I also used my rear brake in this circumstance, and that's when my rear locked up. The FZ6 fishtailed and my moto instincts just kinda kicked in... let off on the throttle and body positioning. Needless to say I think this is what saved me from a catastrophic drop.

Lesson learned needless to say. I'm sure lessons will arise. All in all though, I'm having one heck of a time with this bike so far.

:welcome:RossW!

That's a good deal on the 05. You'll love that bike!
Sounds like you'll be a spirited rider so pay attention tire compounds/ pressures.
Don't know what rubber you have or how old the tires are so....

ATGATT All The Gear All The Time!

Again, welcome to this great forum!

+1 On the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) Recall, we've had some riders stranded in foreign cities during the middle of their road trip because of this. Make sure you double check to make sure this was taken care of by the previous owner.

I came from dirt too! Isn't weird to have mirrors?

:welcome:

Congrats! I picked up an '04 with 6600 miles earlier this year for the same price.
I had to replace head bearings, and it took some time, but wasn't too bad if you have a garage and know your way around some tools. The rest was just mods.

Oh, wait wait... i've been waiting for this! I get to say it:
:needpics:

It's a great all-rounder bike. I love every minute i spend on it!:cheer:

Back