Advice for bracket I'm making

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Folks,
I need a reThink.
I'm trying to make a bracket that would sit on top of the throttle cable wire guide to mount a voltmeter onto. I was inspired by Jman's bracket found here:
8925d1224008892-power-outlet-install-accessories-dscf0754.jpg

My bracket is similar. Except it will be poking out about above the throttle cable bracket. So I'll still be using the OEM bracket for the throttle cables.
My new bracket will be screwed into the same hole.
Well I made the bracket and it kinda looks like crap! :( It looks like something a 5th grader would make.
4151520923_e51ac15912_o.jpg

4152281026_93d7592a76_o.jpg

I want to make sure the edges are safe to be next to the brake line and other wires.
So I used rubber channel molding, like this:
0259844_677153.jpg

and glued it to the sides with some 3m weather stripping glue. The glue works fine, I suppose, and is waterproof.
I really hate the corners of my bracket.

4151520717_6b6cc7b5bd_b.jpg

The molding I'm using doesn't really conform to the rounded edges unless they have a greater diameter (for a lack of better description.)
I had to fold one side of the molding into another and glue them together (in other words, I had to use only straight pieces of molding).
Check out the corners. Looks bad.

Plus the spray paint job kinda sucked. I don't know if the paint will flake off a year from now or what. It's likely to. I shouldn't have painted it.
Note the middle unpainted portion is where the heavy duty velcro goes for the voltmeter.

So I'm thinking of creating a new bracket that is more of a mushroom shape (larger curves to the edges) to allow for a single piece of molding.
Or, using something called Plasti-Dip and just spraying it on the bracket:
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
Does anyone have experience with Plasti-Dip? Will it provide a thick enough layer around the edges of the metal bracket to protect the wires?

Also, it's kinda hard for me to round/smooth the edges of the aluminum bracket so it won't cut up the wires and brake lines.
This may just be the root of my problem. Maybe I shouldn't be using aluminum?
If I use stainless steel, could I round the edges enough to have it not be a problem?
I noticed that the throttle cable wire guide has just a beveled edge. Maybe I need to just repeat that?
I'm thinking
I may have started this whole project wrong by using aluminum. But it cuts like buttah! :D

Thanks for taking the time. Hopefully you know wtf I am talking about! I'm just trying to get a #$%@^ cold weather mod going! :BLAA:

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a Dremel or other rotary tool? There is an assortment kit of sanding/polishing bits at HD you can get and make it really shine and rounded

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a Dremel or other rotary tool? There is an assortment kit of sanding/polishing bits at HD you can get and make it really shine and rounded

I can get my hands on one. I was using some metal files. I think the aluminum is so thin it's hard to round. If that makes any sense....

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
1/4 vacuum tubing. take a razor blade and slice it open. it will slide over the metal. in the corners notch out a triangle so it can make the bend. glue it if you need to after you have it all set up.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the voltmeter round or square? I would look at 1/16" thick aluminum and make the bracket maybe a half inch larger than the voltmeter. It'd be heavy enough to support it and would be easier to tuck in neatly.

If its small enough, it won't hit any cables, etc. A wire brush wheel on a grinder will smooth out the edges, maybe some fine wet sanding on the bracket once done will leave a nice finish with nothing to peel....

I'd start with a piece of thin carboard and play with that looking for a suitable location....

Have to considered just putting it in the black inner (horizontal-left or right side) inner dash cover? There's lots of room there, as long as you can un-plug it for maintainance...

Scott

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
1/4 vacuum tubing. take a razor blade and slice it open. it will slide over the metal. in the corners notch out a triangle so it can make the bend. glue it if you need to after you have it all set up.

That may be good because the tubing would be more flexible than the channel molding I'm using.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the voltmeter round or square? I would look at 1/16" thick aluminum and make the bracket maybe a half inch larger than the voltmeter. It'd be heavy enough to support it and would be easier to tuck in neatly.

If its small enough, it won't hit any cables, etc. A wire brush wheel on a grinder will smooth out the edges, maybe some fine wet sanding on the bracket once done will leave a nice finish with nothing to peel....

I'd start with a piece of thin carboard and play with that looking for a suitable location....

Have to considered just putting it in the black inner (horizontal-left or right side) inner dash cover? There's lots of room there, as long as you can un-plug it for maintainance...

Scott

The voltmeter is a 2"x2" square. It is a Battery Bug:
http://www.argusanalyzers.com/batte...tery-bug-battery-monitor-argus-analyzers.html
This pic (not my bike) may give you an idea of how big it is:
photo-741164.jpg

I used an aluminum electrical box cover similar to this:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/A-J-A-ACQUISITION-5175-0-/502-5175-0
If I go ahead with the location I described in the original post, it would come in contact with the brake line and another wire.

I guess I can put it in the inner dash. I really don't want to stick anything onto the plastic, though. And I definitely don't want to drill into the plastic. Is there any way of avoiding this?
I think you're on to something, in that I've over-engineered this thing. :BLAA:

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried the web site posted, I couldn't get it to open...

Anyway, I have a piece of industrial velcro attached to the left, flat side of the black inner panel. I use it to attach a bridge transponder to. The transponder is probably 2.5" x 4". Once attached, its very sturdy (been to 100 with it, no problems as its in the "****pit").

That flat space is exactly 2" across. You could attach it there (no drilling) and run the wires under the panel and tied in...

Hope this helps

Scott

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I was done? Ha! :BLAA:
I finally got something I'm happy with. But I'd like to vet it with the FZ6 community to make sure it's 1) ok for riding 2) will hold up in rain 3) doesn't look like butt. So please let me know what you think on those 3 points. ;)
Also, I think some of you will like the way I mounted the voltmeter and may find it useful for future mods. Plus, the voltmeter is kinda neat and I haven't found anyone on this forum who is using it. SO READ ON!!

So here it is (on the left):
4164529932_6db8319725_o.jpg

That's my big-ass voltmeter. :D
This is how I mounted it:
First, I got something called a cable tie mount (aka: zip tie mount, wire saddle, cable tie holder.) I got it from a friend who bought it from Micro Center (great store!) so he can keep the cables in his computer organized.
This is what it looks like:
4164529708_10f273b158_o.jpg

(For the pic above.) The zip ties go through the rectangle slits and around the handle bar. The part facing the camera is what sits against the handle bar. This part is slightly curved, which is great for having it seated against the handle bar. There is a flat sticky backing. I put heavy duty velcro against it.

4164529762_139368ea84_o.jpg

And the fuzzy part of the velcro on the voltmeter.
4163770085_ee8a343271_o.jpg

After that, I just hooked the thing up to my battery and snaked it up to the handle bar, making sure there is enough slack for the handle bar movement.
Here are some other shots:
4164823232_3c56192328_o.jpg

The mount secured to the handle bar. I later cut off the excess length of the zip tie, of course.

4164530002_49395bd935_o.jpg

4164530072_c09683ccdb_o.jpg

The voltmeter I am using is called Battery Bug. Here's a mini-review:
It has some really nice features:
* automatically tests cranking performance at every start
* Automatic volt meter mode shows battery terminal voltage every two seconds
* Battery temperature is constantly measured and the cranking state of health alarm is adjusted for extreme low temperatures
* Replace battery / end of life alarm will sound when cranking health drops below 10%
* Low battery / recharge when a chronic undercharge condition is detected and the battery needs to be charged.
* Starting performance of the most recent engine start is displayed by a flashing bar on the analog display.
* Replace battery and low battery icons indicate what actions need to be taken when an alarm is active.
* water-tight case
Downsides:
* This thing is big! It belongs on a Gold Wing!
* The LCD screen does not have a backlight.

BB-SBM12-PS Battery Bug Battery Monitor :: Argus Analyzers

Heres a video about it:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaBfw77J7fY]YouTube - The Battery Bug[/ame]

I found it on ebay, new, for 45$ including S&H.

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to vet it with the FZ6 community to make sure it's 1) ok for riding 2) will hold up in rain 3) doesn't look like butt. So please let me know what you think on those 3 points. ;)

1: Shouldn't get in the way
2: No idea about how watertight the housing is
3: Sorry but it looks like major butt.

Just my 2c.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
1: Shouldn't get in the way
2: No idea about how watertight the housing is
3: Sorry but it looks like major butt.

Just my 2c.

The voltmeter itself is waterproof and I've just been reading up on the velcro and it is used outdoors to attach things to concrete walls, etc.

Yeah it's not the most aesthetically pleasing voltmeter setup, but I couldn't find a place to put the damn thing without taping crap to my fairings or drilling into them. I probably shouldn't be so TYPE-A over my japanese plastic. :D

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it looks great.....high marks in all three categories from me (and I'm very particular). :rockon:

turk

Reaction score
Visit site
You are going about it the right way.
There are some very clever and talented people on these boards.
Ask around at the adventure boards they are always rigging up stuff that is very durable and looks good.
Don't listen to the naysayers.
Your first attempt is fine,install it and see how it fits and functions then go from there.
The fun of all this,for me, is learning and doing :D....Al