After installing Scorpion exhaust, lights dont work! Please Help!

rachtak

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I just bought a used scorpion exhaust off of ebay. It came will all the parts and wiring; basically ready to go. I slipped it on and connected the wires as best I could (there are wires that came with the pipe that don't seem to connect anywhere?) but some lights don't work.

What works:
-Bike starts up and runs
-High/low beam

What doesn't work:
-tail light
-brake light
-front & back turn signals
-Turn signal indicator on the speedo interface

Here is a labeled picture of the wiring that I currently have (unconnected "loose ends" are circled):
-"1" is the wiring that used to go to the stock license plate light
-"2" and "3" go to the LED turn signals that came with the kit.

More info:
When I originally installed the kit/wires, the tail light, brake light, and LED turn signals all worked at the configuration pictured below. Thinking that all was well, I went to bed with the intent on cleaning up the wiring the next morning. Today, I connected the loose wires on "1" (I dont know why I thought that was a good idea); electrical taped together "1," "2," and "3" into a bundle; and tucked the wires away. When I went to ride, I realized the aforementioned problem.

Edit: After reading some previous posts, "blowing a fuse" seems to be a common culprit. Could I have blown one/some when I connected the old license plate light wires together (for some reason that I must've thought was good at the time)? I don't know how to check/I don't really know what a fuse is...

Last edited:
Hi,

I just bought a used scorpion exhaust off of ebay. It came will all the parts and wiring; basically ready to go. I slipped it on and connected the wires as best I could (there are wires that came with the pipe that don't seem to connect anywhere?) but some lights don't work.

What works:
-Bike starts up and runs
-High/low beam

What doesn't work:
-tail light
-brake light
-front & back turn signals
-Turn signal indicator on the speedo interface

Here is a labeled picture of the wiring that I currently have (unconnected "loose ends" are circled):
-"1" is the wiring that used to go to the stock license plate light
-"2" and "3" go to the LED turn signals that came with the kit.

More info:
When I originally installed the kit/wires, the tail light, brake light, and LED turn signals all worked at the configuration pictured below. Thinking that all was well, I went to bed with the intent on cleaning up the wiring the next morning. Today, I connected the loose wires on "1" (I dont know why I thought that was a good idea); electrical taped together "1," "2," and "3" into a bundle; and tucked the wires away. When I went to ride, I realized the aforementioned problem.

Edit: After reading some previous posts, "blowing a fuse" seems to be a common culprit. Could I have blown one/some when I connected the old license plate light wires together (for some reason that I must've thought was good at the time)? I don't know how to check/I don't really know what a fuse is...

Good self diagnosis - you blew your "tail" fuse (this handles turn signals, taillight, and license plate light - I didn't think it affected the brake light though) - it's in the right sidepod in the little yellow case next to the other fuses. Pull it out (use needle nose pliers if you can't find a fuse puller) - it's a mini 10amp fuse - the red kind (but the small red kind, not the automotive size red kind) - Look at it and see the wire connecting the two prongs inside the plastic looks smokey/burned - it will. Pop in a new one and don't cross the wires again!

It was the tail fuse! Thanks so much for your help.

Glad you got it figured it!

Not that this helps; but mine was lookin the same that last nite! Wires out the tail and all with a new exhaust. Thankfully it it went back together and all was working just as before.

Back