Aftermarket Exhaust gets Louder when Warm

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a Leo Vince exhaust installed recently. This is my first experience with after market exhaust of any type. I noticed that when cold, it's quiet even though the sound is sweet (db killers in). Once it has warmed up after a few mins, the sound gets deeper, more reverberation. It is definitely noticeable between cold and warm. Anyone else experienced this? Just wondering.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't speak about LEO's, but the Scorps (open) seem to sound the same and their about 4 years old.

As posted above, a little louder once warm, I don't see an issue.

With the louder pipes, folks around you DO know your there (unless their stereo is cranked way up). With the Scorps, I RARELY use the horn for someone napping(texting) at a light. Just a rev to 3K and their going!

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't speak about LEO's, but the Scorps (open) seem to sound the same and their about 4 years old.

As posted above, a little louder once warm, I don't see an issue.

With the louder pipes, folks around you DO know your there (unless their stereo is cranked way up). With the Scorps, I RARELY use the horn for someone napping(texting) at a light. Just a rev to 3K and their going!

What a coincidence, I have leo's (evo II, plastic caps like yours) and it louds when bike reeaaaly gets hot. BUT I like it, it gets quite noticeable when accelerating.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
It isn't a problem at all. Just curious since none of my cars ever did that nor the fz6 factory exhaust. Must be the materials used on the Leo Vince.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its the two items; the difference in fueling from cold to hot changes the exhaust note as its richer when cold plus the expelled gases are cooler and this also changes the tone.

imatt

Not a Junior Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the non carbon Leo's with out the baffles and I hear no difference between cold and hot. What will cause a sound change though is really ripping on the throttle for extended periods of time. I notice this most when I take the fz to mountains and play around in second gear for like 20 minutes. When I come to a stop reving the bike in neutral is like a whole new sensation. I can also get it to sound this way after a long trip on the hwy doing 70+mph. I assume this has to do with long term fuel trims most likely. My 15 minutes of 70mph on the hwy to work or school will not be enough to make the change though.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the non carbon Leo's with out the baffles and I hear no difference between cold and hot. What will cause a sound change though is really ripping on the throttle for extended periods of time. I notice this most when I take the fz to mountains and play around in second gear for like 20 minutes. When I come to a stop reving the bike in neutral is like a whole new sensation. I can also get it to sound this way after a long trip on the hwy doing 70+mph. I assume this has to do with long term fuel trims most likely. My 15 minutes of 70mph on the hwy to work or school will not be enough to make the change though.

I think you described it better than I did as I am still experimenting with this new exhausts. The engine temperature doesn't necessarily has an effect on the sound. So far it seems to come after a 5-10 minutes of gunning the engine; I got the baffles on, so it might make a difference in the time it takes. Then the sound stays like this until it cools down again. 15-20 mins engine off and it's back to normal.

It's sort of fun. It wakes up when you wake up and then goes back to sleep. I would have changed my exhausts sooner had I known it was that much fun :)

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the sound with my stock exhaust at cold and when warm.

[video=youtube;y4o-Mz4LLLc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4o-Mz4LLLc[/video]

"V"

Thanks for the vid; the difference is discernible even on the stock exhaust. I never noticed it when I had the stock exhaust but you can imagine that the difference is even bigger with a pair of Leo Vince.

p.s: clean that heat shield! ;)