Question for Scorpion Exhaust Owners/Lovers!

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Posted a similar question recently, think I might have been a bit vague tho, so I'm gonna give it another shot!

I should (and do...most of the time :spank: ) now wear earplugs when on longer rides/when commuting, really intended for the wind noise, however at the moment I am having to wear them mainly for exhaust noise at around 3k and between 6 and 7k now that I've fitted my scorps.

Has anyone else noticed the change in sound level/frequency around these rev ranges (had it with the standard exhaust, but is much more evident with the scorps)? If so, does anyone find this noise very irritating/uncomfortable (find that after about 20 mins I really have to stop?)

I absolutely love my scorps without db killers, just a bit gutted that I can't go for a Sunday morning spin without having to wear earplugs for fear of permanently damaging my hearing....grr

Sorry for the long post guys, just desperate to get this sorted.

Yamahaboyz

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just a bit gutted that I can't go for a Sunday morning spin without having to wear earplugs for fear of permanently damaging my hearing....grr

Wear ear plugs on every ride if you want to prevent permanent hearing damage. Continuing to enjoy the sound of your Scorps will be a bonus :thumbup:

Perhaps reach out to Scorpion and ask them what the issue could be. I know other pipes get loud over time and repacking brings the dBs back down, but Scorpion guarantees no repacking for life, so.. :don'tknow:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone can handle different levels of noise/sensitivity with their ears.

I can handle it. If I can't then it's earplugs or music fromy Sena.

Don't risk your hearing - use plugs

:thumbup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't had mine for very long, and have only about 5 miles on them since the installation. But I can say that they are pretty quiet IMO at idle, wake up around 4k, and start to really sing about 6k. Mine are the carbon ones and again IMO they have a little different sound than the stainless or titanium. Its a little lower, or more mellow toned sound that comes out of the pipes.

I don't wear ear plugs now, but I think next year I will start using them on every ride. I do have a scala rider G4 headset and chat with my buddies and listen to the occasional music on a long ride.

Sorry I can't be of too much help.....yet.....

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input so far everyone, wondering if its my age thats making me more sensitive to this particular noise (frequency?), I remember talking to a friend a while ago that said a certain frequency of sound was physically uncomfortable for her son to listen to, whilst she wasn't affected by it, she then explained that this was due to the way your hearing changes as you get older? (not necessaraly hearing damage as such)

I haven't had mine for very long, and have only about 5 miles on them since the installation. But I can say that they are pretty quiet IMO at idle, wake up around 4k, and start to really sing about 6k. Mine are the carbon ones and again IMO they have a little different sound than the stainless or titanium. Its a little lower, or more mellow toned sound that comes out of the pipes.

I don't wear ear plugs now, but I think next year I will start using them on every ride. I do have a scala rider G4 headset and chat with my buddies and listen to the occasional music on a long ride.

Sorry I can't be of too much help.....yet.....

Would be very interested to hear how you get on with the scorps, have fun :D

Wondering if any very kind members who have scorpions (or any aftermarket exhaust really) would mind, for research purposes taking a short ride without earplugs, and seeing if they have any problem with particular rev ranges being uncomfortable?

Thanks again everyone,
Yamahaboyz

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Wondering if any very kind members who have scorpions (or any aftermarket exhaust really) would mind, for research purposes taking a short ride without earplugs, and seeing if they have any problem with particular rev ranges being uncomfortable?

I've installed Leovince LV One exhausts on my bike, and I've ridden a couple (short) times without ear plugs.

I have to say, between 8,000 - 10,000K rpm the sound made my ears ring like hell, but all the other rpm's weren't uncomfortable at all!
One note: I think it will depend a lot on other things as well, like what type of helmet etc. you're wearing.
My ears did only ring at those rpm with my windshield open (tinted screen and unlit forest roads aren't a perfect combination :ban:), but when closed, nothing annoyed me.

Grtz,

Degake