New exhaust - hearing issue

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Fitted a pair of scorpions last weekend, rode the bike for about 20 miles and decided it was a little bit too quiet for my liking (DB killers fitted, as per UK law :spank:).

Removed the DB killers today (that was fun :rolleyes:) and rode to a friend’s place just 9 miles away, when I got there I took my helmet off and found that my left ear drum felt very strange (sort of a numb feeling???).

Anyway on the ride home I experimented and found that in the fz6's resonance ranges (one at 3k and one between 6 and 8k roughly) the noise was physically uncomfortable/very unpleasant to listen to (this is without ear plugs).

Wondering if anyone else had this problem before after changing their exhaust?, was thinking that something isn't quite right as in the US the scorpions come without baffles, I can't see that any aftermarket exhaust should cause that sort of discomfort over such a short exposure/distance?

Yamahaboyz

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1! Absolutely MUST use ear plugs if you want to keep your hearing. Audiologist will confirm that riding without ear plugs will is a certain way to suffer some degree of hearing loss.
Biggest offender is typically the wind noise at speed, not the exhaust, BUT.. aftermarket cans without DB killers are way too loud if you're not using ear plugs. I tried Leo Vince without DB killers for only about 20 minutes.. downright painful IMO.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1! Absolutely MUST use ear plugs if you want to keep your hearing. Audiologist will confirm that riding without ear plugs will is a certain way to suffer some degree of hearing loss.
Biggest offender is typically the wind noise at speed, not the exhaust, BUT.. aftermarket cans without DB killers are way too loud if you're not using ear plugs. I tried Leo Vince without DB killers for only about 20 minutes.. downright painful IMO.

..................................:D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have scorpions, no DB killers. I wouldn't change it either.

They can get loud and I am already partially deaf in my right ear.....

Ear plugs or music playing through my Sena.

That's the cure :rockon:

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My ears dont stop ringing because I rode without earplugs for almost a year....wind+2bros will do that....Sucks bigtime...:(

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What everyone else said, ear plugs. Even with a stock muffler I like them, especially on long rides. I find that they help me concentrate on riding.

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the two brothers without dbs. I only use plugs when on the highway/long distance riding.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

David Thompson

Reaction score
Visit site
Loud pipes attract police attention IMO, i dont understand what the benefits of them are personally.

i, too, wear earplugs due to wind noise, my exhaust is stock though.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Loud pipes attract police attention IMO, i dont understand what the benefits of them are personally.

i, too, wear earplugs due to wind noise, my exhaust is stock though.
If the police can hear you, so can other cars when you're in traffic. BIG safety issue.

Generally, if you're riding sensibly, the cops don't pull you over in Perth.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If the police can hear you, so can other cars when you're in traffic. BIG safety issue.

Very ture although the police can hear me from 2 miles away....(knocking on wood) i still havent been pulled over on any bike though

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as you aren't keeping in 1st gear while in a built up area the leos will leave you alone. I even went on a police bike awareness / training session and he asked the question regarding legal pipes and several people started shuffling in their seats. He then changed to a big grin and said it doesn't matter and police don't check (here in the uk)

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site

The safety issue aspect of this is the catch 22. I commute daily in northern VA to my job on my motorcycle -- which is beneficial because HOV is 3+ (on 395) or motorcycles and 2+ or motorcycles on interstate 66. When I had stock pipes, I can count a minimum of 10 occasions in the first few weeks that I had my bike where traffic (generally cell phone users or MD drivers, or DC drivers because they think they have diplomatic immunity) would merge into my lane with no regard for the fact that I was there. Blaring my horn when they were merging over usually only causes them to merge faster and/or flip you the bird.

Fast forward. Two brothers exhaust -- is it loud? Yes. Do I wear ear plugs? Yes. Do cars continually cut me off? This has actually STOPPED since I installed loud pipes. I think the fact that traffic hears me and they are wondering where the F-16 is making an emergency landing is working in benefit and creates a safer riding/driving environment. Thank god they put down their iPhone (while driving) for 5 seconds to figure out if they had room to merge or not.

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
The safety issue aspect of this is the catch 22. I commute daily in northern VA to my job on my motorcycle -- which is beneficial because HOV is 3+ (on 395) or motorcycles and 2+ or motorcycles on interstate 66. When I had stock pipes, I can count a minimum of 10 occasions in the first few weeks that I had my bike where traffic (generally cell phone users or MD drivers, or DC drivers because they think they have diplomatic immunity) would merge into my lane with no regard for the fact that I was there. Blaring my horn when they were merging over usually only causes them to merge faster and/or flip you the bird.

Fast forward. Two brothers exhaust -- is it loud? Yes. Do I wear ear plugs? Yes. Do cars continually cut me off? This has actually STOPPED since I installed loud pipes. I think the fact that traffic hears me and they are wondering where the F-16 is making an emergency landing is working in benefit and creates a safer riding/driving environment. Thank god they put down their iPhone (while driving) for 5 seconds to figure out if they had room to merge or not.

Another VA rider! Greetings

I'm with this guy, loud pipes save lives. I've never gotten pulled over for my exhaust on any bike I've owned (Kawi Enduro w/ 2bros no dbs, Ninja with Yoshi no dbs, FZ6 with Scorpions no dbs) however I do know the cars around me know I'm there.
In this case, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Also, wind noise has decreased greatly since I've gone naked. I was late to class one morning and forgot my plugs, and it physically hurt my ears a little on the interstate that morning. I'm a big plugs fan.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Of course loud pipes and earplugs will mean you can't hear other vehicles. I would hate to think people are counting on others to keep themselves safe.

And tell the truth, deep down the only reason to get a loud pipe is to make yourself feel good.