Age vs. Miles

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2008 FZ6 with only 5000 miles on it.. I have replaced the oil (a couple of times) now running Motul 7100 and just changed the Coolant with Engine Ice. What else would you suggest for a low mile bike but 7 years old? Reason I ask is that it seems to be running a bit rough lately and also it runs hot.. After a ride home on the highway, its not uncommon for it to be over 200° when I park it. (just not sure if that is normal..)

Could it be spark plugs? Is it age or miles that affects them?

Thanks!

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
Quite apart from anything engine-wise your brake fluid will be soup if it's not been changed. Tyres ditto.

Thanks.. I did just put on some PR4's at the beginning of summer.. Brake fluid is now on the list..

BTW - This has never seen rain and always stored indoors..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2008 FZ6 with only 5000 miles on it.. I have replaced the oil (a couple of times) now running Motul 7100 and just changed the Coolant with Engine Ice. What else would you suggest for a low mile bike but 7 years old? Reason I ask is that it seems to be running a bit rough lately and also it runs hot.. After a ride home on the highway, its not uncommon for it to be over 200° when I park it. (just not sure if that is normal..)

Could it be spark plugs? Is it age or miles that affects them?

Thanks!

I run, on a regular basis, Yamaha's "RingFree" ; https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/ring-free-plus?b=Search&d=34 . It helps keep the fuel system clean and the top end clean.

Its not cheap BUT works extremely well. I run it in every gas powered machine I own. Its VERY popular in the marine world and I run it regularly in my boat..

Way better than Seafoam, Tectron, etc. For engines running crappy, I'll run it 2-3x's the recommended amount with excellent results..

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
200 deg is normal for me in hot weather in traffic stop and go. Why change away from good ole' fashion coolant? That's good oil you're using, should be good for 1000's of miles unless you take all short trips like a couple of miles. Check throttle body synch for vibes and be very careful of your spark plug caps! No pulling on the wires.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I would check your rubber bits; hoses, brake lines, anything rubber for any sort of deterioration.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you run a full tank of fuel out, you might use a flashlight to view inside the fuel tank for rust. Should it be brimmed with rust particles, lets talk some more....

Also, lift the tank and inspect the air filter for rodent intrusion. They can be evil. Lastly would be the fork oil. Its likely picked up moisture along the way too. There are how too's on oil replacement.
--> Link to brake bleeding.... post 7
Troubleshooting & maintenance guide, Fuel Pump, Battery & Charging, Brake Bleeding

^^ +5 on bleeding brakes.... Suck out the old stuff first and than add new, PRESSURE BLEED and go from there.

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
200 deg is normal for me in hot weather in traffic stop and go. Why change away from good ole' fashion coolant? That's good oil you're using, should be good for 1000's of miles unless you take all short trips like a couple of miles. Check throttle body synch for vibes and be very careful of your spark plug caps! No pulling on the wires.

I figured after 7 years it would start breaking down and just happened to be at the motorcycle shop by my house, decided to give the Engine Ice a try.. I got the suggestion for the Motul from this forum.. I was using Mobil 1 Racing 4T and have noticed a change in shifting and smoothness of the bike.. (Bad thing is that I work for an Exxon Mobil Distributor!) I run usually about 40 miles a day when I commute and most of it is 50-70+ MPH.. I only have 4 stops between my house and work.. Then the normal 100+ mile trips on the very occasional weekend. Thanks for the info on the temp!