Air filters?

moo cow

Reaction score
Visit site
just curious whose using stock oem filters or upgrading to something like the K&N. i heard the K&N kills mileage a bit but offers a touch more power. any truth to that? i've used K&N filters on other bikes and never noticed a difference.
also, is there a good online oem filter source that anyone has found?

I use stock. Changed it out at 16k miles, and it was still good.

From what I hear in the forums people say thatthe filter offers better sound at high rpm, better value for money. Power? Most people say that if they can't feel the difference in acceleration.

I kept the OEM though because I don't like high airflow filters. I live in a dry and dusty climate.

I am using the OEM still, but will change over when it is time to change the filter. I am am going to buy something then i will buy the good stuff...

I hear you man. The OEM is the good stuff though. Take it out and look at it. Its high quality. I was impressed.

K&N is a good cost effective replacment. It will virtually last the life of the bike. For 2 OEM you get one K&N. No obvious power gain or fuel consumption.

Nelly:thumbup:

my 05 has 5500 miles on it so i just 'assumed' it was close to time to change it. then i re-read my owners servics schedule and they recommend every 12k, WHOA! i'll still check it every couple thousand miles just cause i'm OCD but i guess i'm good for a while!:Flash:

Replaced the oem with the K&N around 5k on the bike when I installed the 2bros exhaust. About the same or brtter milage, ditto for my FJR.

Replaced the oem with the K&N around 5k on the bike when I installed the 2bros exhaust. About the same or brtter milage, ditto for my FJR.

I have the 2Bros, but haven't switched to the K&N filter because I was warned it would lean out the fuel/air mixture too much when in combo with the exhaust. Did you do a PCIII or are you still running the stock map? I'd love to go with K&N as I have done with all of my cars, but don't want the bike to run too lean.

I bought the 2Bros Juice box. Pre programed for the FZ but also has other useable programs you can switch to with a button on the JB. No need for dyno or pc to program. Plug in to install, takes about 1 minute-sweet!

I bought the 2Bros Juice box. Pre programed for the FZ but also has other useable programs you can switch to with a button on the JB. No need for dyno or pc to program. Plug in to install, takes about 1 minute-sweet!

Link to this "Juice Box"... never heard of it before.

Edit: Never mind. Found it on the 2Bros website, but have still never heard of anyone using it before. Why did you feel to need to get this? Were you running lean?

Last edited:
I´m changing to MBC, it is very similar (almost the same) to K&N but less expensive.

Booth BMC and K&N are nice material and value for money!

:Sport:

Last edited:
Hi, If you fit a K&N air filter you increase the air flow, if you also fit a free flowing (half race or whatever) exhaust can you increase the rate at which exhaust gas leaves the engine. This means you are improving the engines breathing, which means you require more fuel to avoid running weak. If you are running fuel injection then you need to remap, or fit a power commander, if you are running carbs then you need to Dynojet to stage two. Its no good doing one without the other two, and you will definitely feel the difference, it will sound a lot nicer too.
dookbob

I've never heard of a K&N filter worsening fuel consumption. I have put them on every car/truck I've owned. Hmm.

Does it offer enough power gain to justify the expense or is it the life of the filter that is appealing?

I want to get one but the OEM doesnt even look dirty after 10,000 miles.

I´m changing to MBC, it is very similar (almost the same) to K&N but less expensive.

Booth BMC and K&N are nice material and value for money!

:Sport:

Can you buy the MBC from cycle gear? I will look into it if they offer it.

I have the 2Bros, but haven't switched to the K&N filter because I was warned it would lean out the fuel/air mixture too much when in combo with the exhaust. Did you do a PCIII or are you still running the stock map? I'd love to go with K&N as I have done with all of my cars, but don't want the bike to run too lean.
Doesnt the website show the same download for stock or aftermarket filter? Since i did the airbox mod i need to get mine dyno-tuned. I didnt see a download for the airbox mod...

Does it offer enough power gain to justify the expense or is it the life of the filter that is appealing?

For me mate, I switched as it was more financially economical. The sound under high rev induction is nice to.

One thing is as they get dirty they actually get better. Put one in and not worry about it for 50k miles or so. And they do claim to increase mpg. That's why I had never heard of a K&N decreasing mileage.

The filter is pretty big for this size of engine on the FZ6 and it's oiled paper, so I bet stock is fine.

Back