Re-use K&N air filter clean and add oil?

Chephren

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi again Fazerers I hope you're all well and bikes are too.

I bought my FZS with 24k on the clock and no service history so I've changed the oil, filter, plugs and I've recently ordered a new air filter to add to the service.

I assumed the filter would be some cheap standard thing but today when I stripped her down ready to fit the new filter I removed the old one (which had a thick layer of debris in the bottom) and it turns out to be a K&N filter, I've read in the forum that they can be cleaned and used over and over.

I only paid £11.50 for the new one so I'm happy to keep that as a spare, I'd prefer to keep the K&N.

I've given it a good soak and cleaned it with just about everything I've got and the water now runs crystal clear so I'm confident that it's clean.

In my experience with foam filters they've always needed oil to help catch the dust, is it the same with a K&N or is it a case of dry it off and put it back in? Sorry if this sounds dumb but this is my first "real" bike and it's a lot different to the 125's and 250's I've previously owned.

Thanks in advance, you guys are a great help and I'm slowly learning more about the bike, couldn't have done it without you so thank you for your help so far :)

Dave

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna respond anyway. Blah
I have a K&N in Fizzer too, and for as often as changing a filter is required, it's really not much cost to use standard paper filters; oiling the K&N makes a mess (I'm not that handy) and with my new bike I didn't go the K&N route. FWIW.