An expensive mistake

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my Fizzer up for sale the last two years, asking $3K for my '07 with new tires, which I didn't think was out of bounds.
Anyhoo, I kept starting it up and driving around a few miles every few months, to keep the battery charged and the fluids moving around. Last November I moved it into my enclosed carport, but noticed a strong gas smell and took it to the shop. They didn't call me all winter, finally visited and learned that my fuel tank had corroded through! I didn't drive enough to end up buying fresh gas, and the hygroscopic ethanol in the gas pulled enough water vapor out of the air to corrode, and finally cause a leak, in the vent system of the tank.
Replacement Cost: $900.00 :mad:
So, just a warning for you folks: ensure you burn out the gas every 6 months or so, or at least pour in some stabilizer prior to a long park. Ouch.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crqp! I know lots of stuff, but chemistry is not one of them. Appreciate the warning. I always winterize with a full tank although I am pretty sure I am using the wrong sta bil (the red stuff).

Sorry for your outcome but your rust should wake up some of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear this and yes I've seen articles where people are complaining about the the alcohol in fuels causing problems. Thanks for the heads up! I don't know if all states require the ethanol but I believe California is one of the states that it's mandatory for emissions.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oregon is not helping my ride time. Wettest year in 75 years. Rivers at flood stage as we speak. =/

Bottom line: parked in Nov. Ridden twice for 10" (no comment)... longest down ever. Tank was brimmed and NO chemicals added.
This has me slightly concered with the meth in the fuel and having burned off some.
And ya, No trickle on the batt! Anyone taking bets here?

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
Outch, sorry to hear!
Whether the tank had some damage prior to storing the bike or not, who knows. But it does give us a heads up when it comes to proper storing of the bike.
Now I'm wondering how effective having used a fuel storing additive/stabilizer would have helped. :confused:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your tank...

To prevent future issues:

A full tank with this product, a stabilizer / cleaner would have prevented the water collection at the bottom of the tank.

I use it regularly in my boats 60 gallon, aluminum tank (19 year old tank-original). And it does work-been using it since 2007:

K100, third video down specifically: Demonstration | Fuel Additive | K-100

And yes, I have seen it in person at my local motorcycle (private owned) shop work...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking about it the real issue is moisture. The alcohal has hygroscopic properties which means it wants to absorb H2O. I think the important part of the fuel treatment is to get the H2O to emulsify and stay emulsified/suspended in the fuel so that it is not concentrated at the bottom of the tank do to it's specific gravity.
A topped off fuel tank is helpful but with alcohol I'd like something like that K100 Scott posted....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, if there's a Marina available, most sell ONLY Non-ethanol fuel. *They won't fill a motor vehicle (by Federal law-I tried) so bring some containers and run that ethanol out (especially for storage or long lay ups)

Replace with the non-ethanol (and as posted, I like the K100) you won't have an issue.

** I pulled fuel that was mostly 2 years old non-ethanol and K100 from the boat (about 35 gallons)
It came out looking /smelling just as fresh as when it went in. NO water droplets, NO cloudiness, etc...
(thought I had a fuel issue (thus the draining), turned out to be a bad spark plug ).

Last edited: