Annoying ticking noise front end, please help

Skylardog123

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, i am a new owner of an 04 fz6, it has 42k miles on it with a yoshimure exhaust, it runs amazing, has all the power i think it should
But there is only one issue with the bike i cant figure out, when accelerating, or revving the engine, i hear a ticking noise from the front end, noticed it is louder when i open my left leg while im driving, its always there clutched or unclutched but only when accelerating, not at idle, it sounds the same as a dry leaf getting hit by the spokes of a bycicle wheel, it is very annoying, some fz6's do it and some done from what ive read, idc if its normal or not, i just want it gone lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's NOT normal...

Put the bike on the center stand, raise the nose with a scissor jack under the header. Spin the wheel by hand (as hard as you can), checking for noise and also tapping in various places with your hand looking for anything loose.

While it's in the air, pull up on the front wheel and feel for any looseness in the steering head, front wheel, etc

I would pull the front wheel and check wheel bearings to start with.

Check the engine to frame mounting bolts for proper torque (40lbs / ft) as well, they DO loosen up.

Check header nuts for tightness and for ANY leakage.

**You have a bike that's "new" to you. You don't know what the PO screwed up on it, didn't maintain, etc.
A VERY CLOSE examination of the entire bike is due..

Last edited:

Skylardog123

Reaction score
Visit site
Oil is new, and i dont think it could be from the wheels as it doesnt do it when rolling with clutch in unless im giving it throttle, clutch or unclutched it only does it when i give it throttle

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull the front sprocket cover (3 screws) and check to see if the sprocket retaining nut is still there..

There was a re-call on that year and that large nut has come off / loosened up.

VERY DANGEROUS so check it ASAP

Skylardog123

Reaction score
Visit site
Ill do all those things in the AM , also, when i got home, it was in neutral and at idle sitting still, snd i heard a faint rattling/ small knocking noise coming from the engine itself, it has 42k miles on it and the valves were adjusted 10k miles ago, could they need to be adjusted againa

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it makes the noise while in neutral, I suggest the following:

Place the bike on the center stand,
Get a wooden dowel or 12 long piece of broom stick (or a stethoscope if you have one),
Place one end of the dowel where you think the noise might be coming from (head, lower end, mid cylinder) and the other end touching your ear,
Move the dowel around to other suspected areas,
Where the tapping is loudest is where the problem is,
Report back where it's coming from.

If this is inconclusive, inspect the header pipes for signs of blowby. With the engine COLD, check for any loose header bolts.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the exact issue I have been posting about this summer since I got my bike. I have tried so much troubleshooting and I cannot find the problem.

Only happens when in gear and accelerating while on the road. With the bike on the center stand and in gear the sound is not there. Revving in nuetral the sound is not there.

I have an 09 with 5000 miles. Adjust chain, checked tourque on everything on the outside.

OP can you run through my thread and tell me if it's relatable? https://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/58438-arching-rattling-sound-when-accelerating-sound-like-its-coming-stator.html

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Reading the ^^ thread (reminded me of it).

Skylar can you post some pic's of your chain, the maintenance schedule, age, mileage of it?

As noted in the above link/post, a worn chain, not lubricated, worn sprockets, too tight a chain WILL make all kinds of racket.

After I lube mine, I can accelerate (or cruise) and the "bottom run" of the chain is "like a wave", NO up and down violent motions, that's how it SHOULD be.

When mine starts with those "not smooth, wave" motions, the chain gets lubed...Nice and quiet..

torbeach

Reaction score
Visit site
Check the plastic radiator cover where it connects at the top of the radiator. There is a bit of free play and mine made an annoying ticking sound.