Information Annual - Check your AA, AAA Batteries!!! They are Killers!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All, I try to do a health check on things I use and things that sit unused to make sure that when I need them, they will work.

And it seems any time I do, I find AA batteries leaking and killing whatever they reside in. Sadly the worst offender is has the biggest name - Duracell. New Batteries that have dates like Good until 2022 and light the flashlight ARE LEAKING!!! I just threw another Mag-Lite flashlight away as corrosion ate the aluminum housing sticking the working battery in the housing with no hope of recovery!

Go through your house, your car, your motorcycle and check those remotes, flashlights, camping lights, vibr.... (never mind), aka battery powered devices and make sure all is well.

Even though they work, put eyes on the cells and discard those leaking batteries appropriately!

Although 9V cells seldom kill stuff, you might check the old smoke detector too!

Happy New Year!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another good idea is to wash your hands after handling batteries. Chemical composition of modern batteries vary and it's probably good to keep them off your body even though they may not be detectable chemicals to your senses.

I also find that batteries can drain in certain devices even though they are not turned on/being used. For this reason I try to put a little piece of paper between my battery and it's contact until I need it. For example I have a great little headlamp I use but I might not use for months. I go to use it and it's dead. I know the batteries in it were hardly used and I usually use lithium for longer lasting duty. Now I put a little piece of paper and when I go to use it the batteries are good. I also have a Tascam stereo recorder that does the same thing so it gets the paper tab. Seems to happen to my devices with electronic start. The devices with an actual on/off mechanical switch stay fresh.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a medium sized collection of rechargeble AA and AAA batteries from Eneloop and Fujitsu. They sit in remotes, flashlights and whatever - I can really recommend it.

Doesn’t really cost that much and hasn’t failed. Can surely recommend it - they are built to last.

4 of the ones I got are the pro series from Eneloop that helps my often used Lenser headlight stay on for hours.

Have not had any of the reusables in stuff that’s left outside for longer apart from the light on the bicycle.

I will never buy a regular AA/AAA battery again.

Last year my electric toothbrush (an expensive one from Braun Oral-B) died on me. Battery only lasted for 60 seconds after each recharge.
Found a YouTube guide and exchanged the battery with one of the Fujitsus... still works!

Last edited: