Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I've never wrecked my bike.

Votes: 44 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding south on US1 through Titusville, while somewhere behind me around the bend, a 16 year old kid with a learner's permit was street racing with the family car. body.

Holy crap, that's crazy :eek:

What happened to the kid afterwards? I hope they took away his right to drive for a LOOOOOONG time...

I've had my first bike for 2 months now, put about 3000 miles on her, and no crashes / bumps / scratches / injuries so far.

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap, that's crazy :eek:

What happened to the kid afterwards? I hope they took away his right to drive for a LOOOOOONG time...

I've had my first bike for 2 months now, put about 3000 miles on her, and no crashes / bumps / scratches / injuries so far.

Though the cops were sure the kid was street racing, they couldn't prove it. They cited him for Wreckless Driving and Improper Use Of A Learner's Permit. Not sure what that meant for the kid as far a driving privilages.

For me, it meant a $103,000 bill after EMT's, helo ride, trauma center visit, back surgery, stay in ICU for less than a day, then a room in the hospital for four days. That doesn't include follow-up visits with my neurosurgeon and physical therapy.

BUT, I'm alive, I'm walking, and I can ride. Can't ask for much more than that.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch ouch ouch! :eek: How long did it take to recover from all that?

Quite a while. Two weeks or so in the hospital, and a good 5 to 6 months to not totally hurt. The shoulder blade hurt for many years afterwards. When I was hurt, in the late '80's, there wasn't the big push for physical therarpy like there is now. I think that would have helped a lot. They just sent me home with a bottle of pills.

I had a gap in my rids for a few years afterwards until they grew back together. Breathing and sneezing were very, very painful.

The worst part is I had to lay on my broken side so the pump could pump the junk from my chest. All kinds of very yucky stuff.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
plenty of drops. i ride pretty conservatively, so i'm hoping that reduces my likelihood of crashing....though you can never be 100% sure what those around you are doing....

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
I have crashed three times, and those were all before age 17.

They were also on dirt bikes.

The first was me on wet pine needles where I slid out the rear end and smacked a tree -minor injuries, no dislocation or fractures, but I was sore for a couple days.

Second was in a field on one of the most familar trails we had, and I hit a hole we had dug for the paperboy earlier that fall. I know, Karma. The front wheel went in along the right edge of the 3'X2'X1.5'deep hole and the bike went down and I launched into a combat roll, minus the deft experience of a combatant. -That one hurt for a week or more, and knocked the wind out of
me.

Third one was on the old Yamaha 500 enduro we modified for "trials", lol. Really we just stripped it down and put a HUGE rear sprocket on it. -Torquey!

That stupid thing used to pull hard to the left, after the many accidents it was in, and I low-sided one of the trails doing about 35mph.
I went one way, the bike went the other. No injuries noted, due to my lucky landing in a fresh pile of dirt. My frined Max said I went airborne and then *Poof!* right into the dirt pile.

Lol

Havent wrecked the FZ, but cam close after locking the rea wheel up on a curve.
A cool head got me out of that one, and I haven't panicked since.

fz6hawkeye

Reaction score
Visit site
Just strawberries... and a fair sized chunk of skin out of the palm of my hand.

10 to 15 mph.

That actually didn't hurt. What did was the $200 to replace my entire front cowling. Boo.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Totalled my brand new bike in April. I was wearing full gear and ran into a car that was making a left turn out of a parking low and didn't see me. Thanks to my full gear I came out without a scratch - just some neck soreness. Bikes are fixable - people are not. Ride safely and always wear full gear - even for a short commute.