Another new happy owner

RandyC

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Guys,
As of today I am a new 2007 FZ6 owner. After driving out of the dealer and putting on about 200 miles today I just wanted to pass along some of my thoughts. I am 50 years old and I started riding again in 2003. Since that time I have been looking for the perfect bike for me and the way I drive. Since 2003 I have owned a SV650, DRZ-400S, KLR650, DR650 and now the FZ6. I still have the DR650. I did all the research on the internet and I kept looking for the perfect bike. What I found out is that the perfect do it all bike does not exist. You have to find one that fits your riding style as close as you can and get it and drive it for a while. If you are like me you will spend hours comparing motorcycles trying to find one that fits your style but you will never really know if it fits until you ride it. If you are like me most dealers will not let you test drive the bikes so you have to rely on first hand knowledge from riders who own the bike. I got my input from the internet sites like this one.

From my riding today I think I am really going to like this motorcycle. It is not perfect but to listen to some people call this a gutless bike is misleading. I am coming from a KLR650 and I liked it but I wanted something that will not run out of steam at 75 mph. This bike will suit my needs just fine and I do not have a problem with the lack of tourque at low rpms. At low rpm I think the FZ6 feels kind of like my DR650 at which is ok with me. What this bike will do is keep going way past 80 MPH and not run out of steam. Coming home today I found that I actually like the feel of the inline four and it handled stop and go traffic with plenty of plenty of power. I have had a SV650 and I like the power delivery of this engine better and I like how smooth the engine runs.

With only 200 miles on it I can't say how much power it will actually have but it will be enough. I have not had it over much over 6k rpm yet and I really did not need to. I can do every thing I want to do on this motorcyle below 7K, everything above 7K is a bonus. The FZ6 riding position is a little forward for me but I will adjust. My impression after my first 200 miles is that it is a very relaxed motorcyle to ride and that I will be very comfortable riding it for long periods.

I have found out about the short clutch engagement and I have felt the slight buz at 5K but neither are a big deal.

The biggest items that drew me to this bike were wind protection, 25K valve adjustments the relability the FZ6 has and believe it or not the center stand.

One last thing that always help peple trying to make their mind up about what bike is right for them is size and wieght of the rider. I am 6'1"" and 185 lbs.

I have two bikes that I really love now - Suzuki DR650 and an a Yamaha FZ6. The next thing I plan to do is quit looking for the perfect motorcycle and enjoy riding what I have.

If you are doing some serious research I hope this information helps you.

New Red FZ6 Owner,
RandyC

Nice review. Thank you. I am 51 years old and also have been riding since 2003. I simply love my FZ6. I've said before that I'm lucky enough to able to afford a bigger or more expensive bike. But as you've stated, it's all about what fits and suits you best. At 5'10" and 150 pounds the FZ fits me fine as well. I love the inline 4 and the tame bike at lower rpms. If I'm feeling frisky I can always venture into the realm of the beast at the higher rpms. This bike has two personalities and they are totally under your control. As I developed cabin fever during our horrid New England winter I toyed with trading in the Fizz for the Honda Interceptor. When I returned to my senses I decided I Love this bike and won't be trading it anytime soon. Thanks again for a thoughtful review.

that 7k rpm talk is going to get you a little friendly :spank: around here ;). most will argue that's not even cruising revs. :welcome:

A little beyond 7k is where she starts calling you names when you back off the throttle. LOL Oh, what a fun game that can be.

:welcome: And enjoy :)

Always happy to add another FZ6 owner to the stable, so :welcome:

Now comes the hard part for you...the modding. LOL. My recommendation for your first one? Frame sliders. T-rex (available on Ebay) are good ones and very affordable. I had those before switching to the Puig blue ones to match my '06 blue FZ6. Motivation also makes really good ones. Just do a search on here and you'll find all kinds of options.

Have fun with the new ride!

Once you log some miles, I'd like to hear you compare-contrast the FZ6 to the DL650. It didn't really make it on my radar screen when I was shopping for a bike, but later I realized it probably would have been worth at least some consideration. A couple forum members have one also. The SV650 was the other one I seriously considered, but forum members here seemed happier than SV650 forum members, at least as far as comfort is concerned.

With only 200 miles on it I can't say how much power it will actually have but it will be enough. I have not had it over much over 6k rpm yet and I really did not need to. I can do every thing I want to do on this motorcyle below 7K, everything above 7K is a bonus.

Hrrr, just wait when you can get higher. She really awakes over 8k / at 10k. You must at least try it once anywhen. But if I understand the manual right, you may get higher, even in the first miles. You just should not drive permanent over some rpm.

BR Robert

The manual says "Avoid prolonged operation above 6,000RPM for the first 600 miles, and Avoid prolonged operation above 8,000RPM for the first 1,000 miles"

Just means don't cruise around on the highway at 8k for an hour

Hrrr.... The bike doesn't wake up properly until you pass 8k rpm. Please post your experiences when you've tried that:thumbup:

Welcome, by the way!

Mount a camera on your bike so we can see your expression when you do get her over 7K.......the grin just gets bigger and bigger :D

:welcome: and congrats on finding the "Swiss Army Knife" of bikes!

If you feel the ride is a bit forward, try getting a set of bar-backs which will raise the bars 1" and set them back 1". Also, the Puig screen offers a great deal more wind protection over the stock screen. Cheap enough to swap out. :D

The seat can be a bear on long hauls but there are options to replace it. If you're looking for a sofa under your butt, Top Sellerie, sellerie moto is the choice. Sargent makes a good seat as well. Corbin is a love/hate relationship for most. It's a firm seat but it certainly grows on you and is a lot better than stock.

Welcome to the world of lotsa riding with low maintenance! Enjoy!

:welcome:
Ooooh, that feeling, you want to go check if its still there every 10 minutes your not on it. The 6 months I had mine, unexplainable! I could just agree with the others, that 8+ thing is what makes her soooo special. :rockon:

Hello guys,
I can give you a better report now that I have put about 1500 miles on it. First, I did not take bike in at 600 miles, I changed the oil and started riding it hard. After 1500 miles it seems like a much smoother motorcycle. I think that is because, it is broken it and loosed up some and I am more used to the way it handles and shifts now. It is not shifting as hard as it was when it was brand new. I have started taking up above 8000 rpm and I can really feel the power building up. Around a 1000 miles I took it out and ran it hard. I wanted to see what it was like to run it up to 12k in each of the gears and boy was I suprised. I was flying over a 100 mph way before I got to top gear and I was closing in on traffic so I shut it down. I have had two trips around 150 miles each on the highway and this thing likes to run at 85-90mph. I was exremley cofortable on the long rides and I would not hesitate taking this bike across the country. After 1500 miles this bike has left me with a high confidence level. So far I am averaging 44-46 mpg which is fine for me. I live in Baton Rouge and was going to New Orleans on I-10 last weekend, I had it up to about 110mph, and I had plenty of RPM left. I am really going to like this motorcycle. It runs at low rpm without problems and when I want to go fast it goes fast. I doubt if I will ever try to see if it will do 150mph but I like to know it is there if I ever want to use it. I think i made a good decision.

Randy C.

Hello guys,
I can give you a better report now that I have put about 1500 miles on it. First, I did not take bike in at 600 miles, I changed the oil and started riding it hard. After 1500 miles it seems like a much smoother motorcycle. I think that is because, it is broken it and loosed up some and I am more used to the way it handles and shifts now. It is not shifting as hard as it was when it was brand new. I have started taking up above 8000 rpm and I can really feel the power building up. Around a 1000 miles I took it out and ran it hard. I wanted to see what it was like to run it up to 12k in each of the gears and boy was I suprised. I was flying over a 100 mph way before I got to top gear and I was closing in on traffic so I shut it down. I have had two trips around 150 miles each on the highway and this thing likes to run at 85-90mph. I was exremley cofortable on the long rides and I would not hesitate taking this bike across the country. After 1500 miles this bike has left me with a high confidence level. So far I am averaging 44-46 mpg which is fine for me. I live in Baton Rouge and was going to New Orleans on I-10 last weekend, I had it up to about 110mph, and I had plenty of RPM left. I am really going to like this motorcycle. It runs at low rpm without problems and when I want to go fast it goes fast. I doubt if I will ever try to see if it will do 150mph but I like to know it is there if I ever want to use it. I think i made a good decision.

Randy C.

Back