Another Sad Day for US Racing

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I just saw the post Soup :: 2014 Daytona 200 Will Not Be Televised :: 03-04-2014 that the Daytona 200 will not be televised this year (again, it was taped delay last year). What a shame and difficult to watch what used to be a very highly regarded race series continue to decline. They only have 5 events for the premier racing series in the US. It still amazes me that they can have NASCAR and golf on for hours but there just seems to be so little interest in motorcycle racing. In a lot of places in Europe racers are over-whelmed by fan response when they go anywhere. Here in the US, Kenny Roberts walks down the street in Sturgis and no one even notices him.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool! I haven't totally ruled it out. We're hoping for a break in the weather so we can ride down. Are you riding?

Nope, trailering. Want to maximize # of days in FL and I'm not about to ride 1k miles in a day (more power to ya, iron butt people!!)

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
There is hope!!!!

Pro superbike and sportbike races have been scheduled with AFM at Sonoma Raceway! May 3-4. See the news article on Road Racing World. Apparently John Ulrich (Road Racing World) has put together three race weekends with folks like Josh Hayes, J.D. Beach, Cameron Beaubier, Garrett Gerloff, etc. are racing!

This really gives me hope that maybe from the dismal series that NASCAR had rendered AMA into, real motorcycle racing can be brought back. Even more exciting the weekends will have amateur and club racing events as well. That means folks like you and me (as long as the Mrs. doesn't know) can go race the same weekend as Josh! Now I need to come up with an excuse to ride to the west coast and watch one of the races.

Go over to RoadracingWorld.com // Roadracing World Magazine // Motorcycle Roadracing Daily News and check it out.

As for me and morotcycle racing on TV going to buy the MotoGP pass for this year and not worry about what is on TV.

A BIG thanks to John!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up! Here's the direct link to the article - Pro Superbike And Sportbike Races Scheduled With AFM At Sonoma Raceway

Nothing would be better than to see someone put a series together and go head to head with the current owners of AMA Pro Racing and bury them. They've done more to destroy pro roadracing in the US than anyone. And, I think John is just the guy to do it. TV coverage will be the key.

Maybe the same thing at Barber?

Yep, I'm with you on the Moto-GP pass. Definitely the way to go.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I just heard a rumor that Miller could be added to the Sonoma series. That and one more along with TV coverage and I could see teams considering dropping the AMA Pro Racing series.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like they are going to stream the races at Daytona on FansChoice.tv. Also, the flat track races which are always a good show at Daytona!