Another SV question

CC32

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at both bikes when I was shopping. I initially leaned toward the SV because it is cheaper and a bit lighter, but like trailblazer87 I found the SV riding position to be cramped (I'm 5'11"), pegs too high and far back. The FZ6 is much more comfortable for me and that made the decision. The fact that the FZ6 is faster and better looking was just a bonus.

I have absolutely no problem riding around town and in city traffic. Can easily do it at 3-4K and seldom get above 6K under those conditions. On the highway its wind 'er up and go..

Last edited:

DynaSport

Reaction score
Visit site
I took my son out looking at bikes this weekend. He is very anxious to get a bike and has money set aside for the purchase. I steered him to the FZ6 and SV based on magazine articles and internet lurking I have done. While he liked both bikes, he liked the looks of the FZ6 better. He also liked the seating position. He hasn't purchased one yet, but he probably will pretty soon (he has to take the MSF course first). I am sure we will both come here to benefit from all your wisdom.

The thing is, the salesmen we talked to really pushed the SV as the more fun bike. They about talked me into buying one for myself. I may yet. Unfortunately, the dealership does not allow test rides. What I would really like to do is ride them both. Oh well, I think my son's mind is made up, so maybe he'll let me ride his to give it a try.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing that put me off the SV was the exposed engine. I have seen a few in town after the gritters went out. They collect so much road ****e it’s not funny. The starter motor is very vulnerable. I have ridden them both and they are very different. The SV really does motor at low RPM and feels like it could pop wheelies all day. Then it runs out of steam and you feel all a bit sedentary. The FZ6 is like a sleeping giant. It will do the comfortable town work all day/ Crack the throttle and its like the millennium falcon. Light speed ahead. It still makes me grin. The reality is both bikes in real world riding are pretty equal, the FZ6 is my choice.

Good luck

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
so when you guys say the SV is better down low, do you mean that the SV can out accelerate the FZ from 0-30 or 10-40???

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
In a straight-up, balls to the wall drag race, the FZ6 will beat the SV650.
In 0-60 or 0-100 "races", again the FZ will win.
In a top gear "roll-on" from 60 to 80mph, the SV650 will pull away handily from the FZ6. In real life, kick the FZ down a few gears and it'll leave the SV650 behind.
Here's an article from 2004, but it's a good 'un:-
Honda 599 vs. Suzuki SV650 vs. Yamaha FZ6 - Road Test & Middleweight Motorcycle Comparison Review - Motorcyclist Online
Oh, edited to add: Most of the criticisms of the FZ's engine performance have been addressed by Yamaha with the 06 and 07 bikes.

Last edited:

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
In a top gear "roll-on" from 60 to 80mph, the SV650 will pull away handily from the FZ6

Well, this might be true. I have the 2007 FZ6 and it goes from 60 to 80 in 6th gear pretty fast. I'm sure that it is much faster than the 6 seconds in that 2004 or 5 article

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
V-twins are known for having a wide power band. If you watch the F1 bike races on speed channel, you'll notice that the V-twins don't down shift in all corners as do the L4 engines. The high performance V-twins that can crank out the18,000 rpm's (like the Ducs that won the super bike championship) took more work ($$) than the L4's to get there. If you want a canyon carving bike only, get an SV, if you want an all around bike that is a sheep in wolfs clothing then the FZ6 is your bike. I crashed my Bandit 1200 last Jan (some rookie fell off his bike in front of me, and I hit the center divider to avoid running him over) and the only thing I miss is the torque. The FZ6 truly can surprise you and get 46 mpg (when you baby it). I will bet, based on my Duc’s performance, that the SV with a pipe & mapping won't do that (and an SV would need that to perform like a FZ6).

Last edited:

Circe

Reaction score
Visit site
Well speaking as someone who had a 650 SVs (stolen :( ) prior to the FZ I have experienced both worlds. They are completely different machines, the torque of the SV was definitely there in the low end whereas you need to coax the RPM's up on the FZ. I am still getting used to the engine of the FZ, keep thinking I have a gear or two to go. The SVs riding position is comfortable for those with no lower back pain and the FZ stock seat is comfortable for those with an *ss of steel. You see the SV and SVs everywhere, its a great all around canyon carver and commuter but doesnt look nearly as badass as the FZ. As far as passenger position, I offered to take my mom for a spin on the SVs and she laughed at me and said no way, she would be perched a foot and a half above me. She went with me last week for a quick spin down HWY 1 on the FZ and absolutely loved it, she actually said go faster :)
I will always love the SV V-twin purrrrrr but it in no way compares to the FZ roarrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Crack the throttle and its like the millennium falcon. Light speed ahead.
That's exactly how I describe the FZ6 to people. Crack the throttle and the background goes all blurry. The fact that the engine revs is good. It goes all the way up to 13000rpm! How mad is that? 90mph in 2nd. Way to go! On a high speed cruise if you put your chin right onto the tank, tucked in behind the fairing and out of the windblast you can hear the engine really clearly.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
In the bike park at work today I had a SV1000 on the left and a SV650 on the right. 1000 towers above the 650. It's massive compared. Sounds a lot better too. Whump whump whump whump. There was also a FZ1 and a 636 ninja. And a 125 Lifan or something. Less than a year old and it's gone all rusty

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. New to this forum. Big thanks for this thread. I too am agonizing over the SV vs the FZ.

If the SVS had adjustable height bars I would go that way. I like the looks, I like the idea of smooth constant power. But I can't see myself hunched over on that bike. The SV naked's posture would be the answer except that I want a screen and fairing.

The FZ has the posture I want, the screen and fairing, and the best looks. I'm leery of the motor's power capacity and profile. Unfortunately none of the shops around here have these bikes to try out, so I have to buy blind. I'm enjoying my first bike, a baby Ninja, and might wait a couple of months before I buy.

p.

knox

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. New to this forum. Big thanks for this thread. I too am agonizing over the SV vs the FZ.

If the SVS had adjustable height bars I would go that way. I like the looks, I like the idea of smooth constant power. But I can't see myself hunched over on that bike. The SV naked's posture would be the answer except that I want a screen and fairing.

The FZ has the posture I want, the screen and fairing, and the best looks. I'm leery of the motor's power capacity and profile. Unfortunately none of the shops around here have these bikes to try out, so I have to buy blind. I'm enjoying my first bike, a baby Ninja, and might wait a couple of months before I buy.

p.

If we could have an FZ650 V-Twin, I would be totally happy! I, too, like the seating/fairing of the FZ6, but the torque of the V-twin.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm leery of the motor's power capacity and profile.
p.

Don't be... ;) Way too much has been made of the power characteristics of the FZ6 by the press hacks, because it doesn't quite fit into their image of what a "sports tourer" should be. Shame on Yamaha.
The FZ6 is a wolf in (sexy :p) sheep's clothing. If you're enjoying your baby Ninja, you'll absolutely LOVE an FZ6.

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd have to give the nod to the FZ6 as well. I've owned nearly 30 bikes in the 30 + years I've been riding, and the FZ6 may be my all time favorite. My last sporty bike was a 2002 Kawi ZRX1200R.
NewHouse001.jpg

I absolutely loved this bike and the power (especially the midrange) was unbelievable. It would vertical wheelie in first gear with no clutch. As much as I loved the ZRX, I'd choose the FZ6 if I could only have one bike. I think it's the overall balance. Great handling, good brakes, good comfort for longer rides, PLENTY of power, and on my longer 300+ mile day rides, I have averaged 55 MPG. There are times that I wish I had the all out power of my old ZRX, but you can't realistically use that power very often. I find that I'm much less likely to "get nuts" on my FZ6 like I used to on my ZRX which is a good thing. In the real world, the FZ6 has all the power you need.

I bought my FZ in June and have almost 5K miles on it. The more I ride it, the more I keep being impressed with what it can do. When I buy my next bike, I expect it to be another FZ6.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't be... ;) Way too much has been made of the power characteristics of the FZ6 by the press hacks, because it doesn't quite fit into their image of what a "sports tourer" should be. Shame on Yamaha.
The FZ6 is a wolf in (sexy :p) sheep's clothing. If you're enjoying your baby Ninja, you'll absolutely LOVE an FZ6.

I should be clear that what I'm really leery of is my ability to control the bike. I've read continually about a quirky throttle, and to a lesser extent, clutch. I'm new at the game, and a pretty slow learner, and I'd rather go slowly and surely. I hear a lot about the FZ's top end, but that scares me more than interests me. For me at this point, the watchword for everything I do on the bike is smoothness. Whether it's cornering, braking, or accelerating, I'm looking for control. So I'm looking for the bike that will best help me in that regard.

What did you mean "shame on yamaha"? It sounded like the fault was the bike press, not the manny, but then you turned it around. Or did you mean that Yamaha gave the press the opportunity for criticism and didn't set the record straight?

At this point I'm leaning toward the SVS, and will eat the posture. I've got some pics up as wallpaper, and am beginning to think that I could live with the posture, or worst-case, raise the bars. I think the SVn is out because I want two headlights to play with; and a windscreen, such as it is. I like the fairings as well.

p.