Anti virus software

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Not really a Bike related question but I hope you can help ...

I have uninstalled Norton anti virus cos basically it was a pain in the a$$ ... I feel rather vulnerable now though and wondered if anyone can recommend any free software and a link.

I just tried viewing a video on this site and my pc went wild ....

Hope you can help

JC

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
i've been using norton for several years now,,,actually it is about to expire,i gotta purchase the antivirus 08 soon....what was the problem with it? slowing the pc down?

there is a antivirus program called kaspersky,,ppl say that is much better and trouble free than norton,,,but i never used it and because i didnt have any troubles i just cant think what the difference would be

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Avast is a an excellent antivirus software and it's home edition is free for life, as long as you re-register every year. Very happy with it. I've also tried AVG in the past but more satisfied with Avast. Norton and McAfee sucks coz they have too many background programs running.:Flip:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. ... I've only been without Norton about 4 days cos it was seriously slowing my PC down. It seemed to take 15 mins before I could do anything with the PC whilst it was doing all its updates and checks etc...

I opened a thread called "who is this guy" in the video forum and it uploaded a rogue spyware programme called XP Antivirus, Very annoying but I'm in the process of removing it as we speak.

Thanks once again for all the help...

I'll re-post once I'm secure again !!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how long have you been running without protection?
you may be in need of a big clean-up by now.....

I run AVG and am happier with it than Norton, as it doesn't slow the system down as bad.
Very valid point. I have f-SECURE that comes with my broard band package. I didn't load it for a few days after un-installing Norton. I had to totally re-boot my PC using the rescue package. The problem can be even worse if you have a wireless set up.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. ... I've only been without Norton about 4 days cos it was seriously slowing my PC down. It seemed to take 15 mins before I could do anything with the PC whilst it was doing all its updates and checks etc...

I opened a thread called "who is this guy" in the video forum and it uploaded a rogue spyware programme called XP Antivirus, Very annoying but I'm in the process of removing it as we speak.

Thanks once again for all the help...

I'll re-post once I'm secure again !!
I also encountered mal-ware on the same thread.

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recommend using Nod32 for an anti virus. Zone alarm pro for a firewall(the windows firewall is non existent) and Mozilla Firefox browser. I use all these and even though I'm very careful what I do with the PC( I never enter the naughty sites) I've had a lot of attacks. So after looking into it I found that I'm relatively safe with the above programs. I say relatively safe because the only way your 100 % safe is when the PC is unplugged from all the sockets and is off....