Any fisherman on here????

SergeantG1

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally, we had a decent day that wasn't bitter cold or snowing and blowing.

My buddy and I decided to hit one of the area marina's to see if we could get anything through the ice. We ended up with 5. Below is the biggest of them. It's a 10 pound Lake Michigan Brown Trout.

View attachment 11338

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a nice looking trout. Trout put up a good fight, especially the big ones like you caught. I go bass fishing as much as I go riding....well, almost. But I go whenever I can. Strictly catch and release for me, though. Got my picture in a fishing magazine with me holding up a 7 pound largemouth in rainy weather. Don't know what ice fishing is like since I live near Sacramento, CA, never snows here but the snow, or beach, is less than 2 hours away.
Nice fish!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Beautiful fish, and I admire you folks who can sit out on the ice in December in Wisconsin to pull them in!
I gave up fishing when I was a teenager. I got tired of people telling me "You shoulda been here last week!" :(

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
10lb Brownie? Nicely done!!! Can practically smell the butter melting then that gratifying crackle as mr.fishy slides onto the pan! *Salivating*

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Noice! I do fish a fair bit, surf mostly, although now I have my kayaks I fish more in the estuaries. Love trout in butter, foil and coals:drool:. Just enough smokey flavour to set it off I reckon.:thumbup:

Cheers
Mike

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice brown! I used to fish all of the time when I was younger. Last fishing trip was a "fly in" to Canada for walleye. I caught a 12 lb brown with a fly rod on a trip with my dad when I was 14. Great fun!

SergeantG1

Reaction score
Visit site
Nick, ice fishing is just a slower version of regular fishing. Can't cover as much water, and the fish aren't as active. It's a heck of a lot a fun trying to get them to the hole on a 2 foot jig pole. For me it's more about getting together with friends, the fish are a bonus.

I'd love to go bass fishing in some of the southern states. From what I hear the southern bass make ours look like minnows.

SergeantG1

Reaction score
Visit site
Beautiful fish, and I admire you folks who can sit out on the ice in December in Wisconsin to pull them in!
I gave up fishing when I was a teenager. I got tired of people telling me \"You shoulda been here last week!\" :(

LOL!!! I know exactly what you mean!

sweber_7

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally, we had a decent day that wasn't bitter cold or snowing and blowing.

My buddy and I decided to hit one of the area marina's to see if we could get anything through the ice. We ended up with 5. Below is the biggest of them. It's a 10 pound Lake Michigan Brown Trout.

View attachment 11338

Nice fish! I was ice fishing last weekend and we caught a few perch and a walleye early in the morning but just as i was about to pack up 2 big browns swam under me. They looked massive on my aquavu but they just didnt seem interested in biting. o well:rolleyes:

SergeantG1

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice fish! I was ice fishing last weekend and we caught a few perch and a walleye early in the morning but just as i was about to pack up 2 big browns swam under me. They looked massive on my aquavu but they just didnt seem interested in biting. o well:rolleyes:

Sturgeon Bay??? That one came out of Manitowoc.

SergeantG1

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it was in the harbor by the stone quarry. I think that was the first brown ive ever seen through the ice.

We were just talking about that yesterday, how you never really hear of anyone catching them up around Sturgeon Bay. They're a very finicky fish.

sweber_7

Reaction score
Visit site
We were just talking about that yesterday, how you never really hear of anyone catching them up around Sturgeon Bay. They're a very finicky fish.

Yeah i dont really fish for them often. I'm mostly geared towards perch. The 2 that I saw didnt look all that healthy so I dont even know if they would have been good to eat.