Any Ontarians Still Around?

Taz3

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! This is shaping up nice... I wanted to head to Ottawa and ride around in Gatineau anyway, maybe camp for the weekend up there. I used to live in Ottawa but only had mountainbikes, nothing motorized lol. I remember hiking up that main hill in Gat Park and being jealous of all the bikes coming to the top and circling and heading back down.

Looks like we will maybe have to organise a group ride in the GTA... and as long as we all get along, maybe do a weekend FZ6 trip to Ottawa? Gatineau really is gorgeous, any of that area north of Ottawa is pretty stellar. Forget the name of some of the smaller villages and hiking spots and lakes, but I'm sure we could plan a stellar trip if it comes to that! Maybe slab it to Kingston and pick up the straggler there... Hwy 62 North from Kingston, through ElDorado, is really scenic, then cut East through Bancroft.

What kind of riding are you guys into? I've done lots of long distance, like weekend trips to Adirondacks, NY and Alleghany, PA, as well as Ottawa and back (was for work, couldn't explore, just was there for a couple hours unfortunately). Also did some riding with some local groups like Barrie Rolling Thunder before I had an issue with their dictator, and the GTA group TTSR or Twisted Throttle Sportbike RIders. These were all day trips, around Niagara Falls, up to Haliburton, etc. One of my fave runs is Airport Rd, River Rd, Creemore, Wasaga, Collingwood, Meaford kind of loop.

I don't mind group riding as long as everyone is on the same page and safety first, no idiot stuff. Don't mind if people want to let loose, but get ahead of the group and do so on your own and we'll catch up kinda thing. Blasting full throttle between curves isn't my idea of fun, I prefer to try to work on my technique and come out of the turn fast and slow down in the straights... less likely to cause trouble with police or find trouble with other riders or the road itself I find. Also really enojy riding on my own or small groups of 2-4. more relaxed.

So yeah, any of that sound interesting to anyone in here? Also, anyone in the GTA have any mechanical or electrical know-how? I want to do a bunch of these how-to's on my bike but haven't done much more than oil changes before. I also have 2 Ninja 500's I want to tear down and clean the carbs and stuff before I sell... kind of like practice liol, but with such different engines I doubt it will help me much with the FZ6.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I do like all types of riding, commuting, day trips, weekend trips, week long trips across the country... So I'm generally up for anything and everything. I spend alot of time in the Adirondacks in NY and Vermont, also some great riding north of Kingston and to the West of Ottawa.

There's a website called "ride the highlands" or something that outlines some great loops around Ontario.

62 goes north from Belleville straight to Bancroft, you might be thinking of hwy 38 out of kingston which is really nice then connects with hwy 7. I prefer to stay on smaller less traveled routes, roads around Calabogie are great. My riding style depends on the length of the trip, I prefer technical twisty riding, though I am known to blast along the straights from time to time when I know its safe and cop free

matt.fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest I haven't done much long distant riding. I'm still fairly new to the whole scene. I have toured through Gatineau Park a few times. It's beautiful in there.

That being said, I'm always up for a ride

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer more spirited riding, even though it's the same thing that got my poor Fizzer into the dump last September (know your upcoming roads first, folks). Long journeys are good too so long as there's a bit of everything mixed in, and I'm in good company. I covered over 600 clicks going to Georgian Bay and back with a few of my buddies, stopping in at Blue Mountain for some of the local roads.

My schedule, with work being contractual, is subject to fluctuate but I'm generally good come weekends. Warm weather is just around the corner after all, so come April/May would be a decent time to get out there and cover some distance if you guys are interested in going.

Taz3

Reaction score
Visit site
I do like all types of riding, commuting, day trips, weekend trips, week long trips across the country... So I'm generally up for anything and everything. I spend alot of time in the Adirondacks in NY and Vermont, also some great riding north of Kingston and to the West of Ottawa.

There's a website called "ride the highlands" or something that outlines some great loops around Ontario.

62 goes north from Belleville straight to Bancroft, you might be thinking of hwy 38 out of kingston which is really nice then connects with hwy 7. I prefer to stay on smaller less traveled routes, roads around Calabogie are great. My riding style depends on the length of the trip, I prefer technical twisty riding, though I am known to blast along the straights from time to time when I know its safe and cop free

Yeah, I have family that live in McArthur Mills and I've been doing survival courses up there for over a decade, so I get mixed up sometimes lol. 62 is really scenic and a quick ride (not much elevation change or twisties, good visibility and not much traffic when I've been there) and would be good if we met someone in Belleville but then wanted to get to some more fun roads to get to Ottawa.

If I wasn't going through Kingston or Belleville I would take 7 and 35 instead of 401 to get to Bancroft area. Generally I stay on smaller and more fun roads as well though

To be honest I haven't done much long distant riding. I'm still fairly new to the whole scene. I have toured through Gatineau Park a few times. It's beautiful in there.

That being said, I'm always up for a ride

Cool man, if you were closer I'd be down for more regular rides, but it's a bit of a hike lol. If we get something going though I'll expect that you will have made it out with some local riders and can show us the best roads ;)

I prefer more spirited riding, even though it's the same thing that got my poor Fizzer into the dump last September (know your upcoming roads first, folks). Long journeys are good too so long as there's a bit of everything mixed in, and I'm in good company. I covered over 600 clicks going to Georgian Bay and back with a few of my buddies, stopping in at Blue Mountain for some of the local roads.

My schedule, with work being contractual, is subject to fluctuate but I'm generally good come weekends. Warm weather is just around the corner after all, so come April/May would be a decent time to get out there and cover some distance if you guys are interested in going.

Uh oh! Is there a story in a thread somewhere about that? Lol! I don't like blasting on the straights too much, especially on back roads, too many risks and only marginally more fun. I like practicing in the corners, hitting scenic roads, etc. Hwy hauling isn't my main thing but I'll do it to get to the good roads! Blue Mtn area does have some nice stuff, really scenic along the bay too, rode from there to Owen Sound and had a blast.

Still have to do my oil and filter change and check some stuff with my battery, but pm me if anyone's interested in riding locally for now and I'll send you my cell. Later in the summer, maybe end of May or June I should have a clear weekend to head out for a longer trip.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know of some sort of group chat app or the likes to keep people in contact? I'm not one to have a big circle of friends, and I don't have an iPhone either, which leaves me in the dark on this one.

Andar

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know of some sort of group chat app or the likes to keep people in contact? I'm not one to have a big circle of friends, and I don't have an iPhone either, which leaves me in the dark on this one.

Voxer works well, has audio, text and picture messaging and it uses wifi/cell data. Moreso made to be like walkie talkie.
I use this mainly for group chats. Cross platform too. Oh, also has location services so if you want to share your location with someone, you can. Hangouts has this as well.

Facebook messenger, WhatsApp, Google Hangouts I think are the most popular and all 3 of these are cross platform.
Hangouts you can do voice and video calling as well. I use this a lot for single person chats.

Most iPhone people use Facetime/iMessage nowadays afaik.

Taz3

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Whatsapp with some riders I met when I first started on my Ninja 500 (the last of us to ride a ninja still just sold his and bought a Duc Scrambler, SO sexy). You can do pics and video and voice there too as mentioned. Don't know about location. Uses wifi and it's a free app. Even got my mom using it to call her relatives in the Caribbean with it!

Not a fan of FB messenger and never used Hangouts or Voxer.

Taz3

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry! Had an eye treatment so wasn't online for about a week, then lost power with this ice storm.

I've got whatsapp. I think we just need to exchange cell numbers to add each other? 905-586-2444 is me, Robbie Fogal

Andar

Reaction score
Visit site
I am as well. For some stupid reason I can't see Zealot in my contacts, even though I saved his number like 12 times.