Are BMW motorcycles really that much better...

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting cons.

Your comparing suspension on a 50hp single cylinder thumper, to a 4 cyl. nearly 100hp sport bike. But it obviously wasn't to your liking.

Not sure over-engineering is really a con. Yamaha (through Star) had that screwed up oil filter issue with the 1100 Star. No one is perfect!

Belt drive? It has it's +'s and -'s just like chain and shaft.

Did you do much research on the BMW before buying?

It's not the best comparison but seeing as how both bikes are the cheapest budget bikes from their respective manufacturers it could be worse. I'll take the mushy front on the FZ6 since it's a $7k bike but for $11k+ABS (IIRC) for the BMW, it could have at least had preload adjustments.

I can really see no reason for an internal oil filter - all it accomplished was making oil changes cost more and being far, far messier although I could see if their only other option was mounting the oil filter in a place where it could be sheared off in a wreck or something.

As for the belt drive, it did have it's pro's and con's but I feel like if Buell can implement self-adjustment and warrant them for life, there's no reason BMW couldn't.

I'd also have to ditto a couple other people comments about the heat...this sucker would get crazy hot in traffic...of course I had no idea how hot since all it had was idiot lights for the temp, gas, oil, etc...

While I had it, I really didn't complain about much aside from the maintenance but buying (upgrading) to the FZ has brought a lot of it out...guess ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, definitely not.

I currently own a R1100RS and a FZ6. I put 23000kms on the FZ6, and 6000kms on the BMW this year. The FZ6 is quicker, faster, more dependable, more fun to ride, more comfortable (for me), more confidence inspiring, and handles a whole lot better than my Beemer. FZ6 has better brakes as well, unfortunately no ABS. My BMW dealer is three hours away, two Yamaha dealers 10 minutes from my home.

I've been on the FZ6 site now for two years and as far as I can tell the bike has few mechanical issues. Go on any BMW forum and there are far too many posts relating to problems.

I've owned a number of BMWs over the years and they all have cost me a fortune to maintain and repair.

I have a love/hate relationship with BMWs, just love with the FZ6.

One thing I have noticed since I started riding the FZ6 is that no one seems to pay much attention to it. When you ride a BMW you get a lot of attention; there is always someone coming over making comments about the bike. I don't need the attention.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
In my experience, most people who slag BMWs want one but can't have one.

I don't doubt that, but as someone who LOVES German cars and owns one, I do not want a BMW nor have I ever. They are great handling cars no doubt, but I'd rather buy a nice 993 911 instead. MUCH better car for the money if you want a performance orientated car.

Last edited: