Automotive touch up paint for shift/candy red

eh89

Reaction score
Visit site
I had done a search and I hadn’t found any threads for finding an equivalent paint color for shift red/ candy red so I thought I would write this up so that it might be of help for someone...

I had a couple small scratches on my bike from the previous owner. I wanted a little bottle of touch up paint, but the only vender I could find is color rite, or getting the paint custom made locally. Colorrite would be$30+ shipping and locally is still expensive but not as much. In addition to having no guarantee to what the color would actually look like.
Personally I found it to be such a small spot there must be an equivalent in an automotive paint.
I went to the local auto store (Canadian tire) and bought:

Dupli-color
NG CC 431
Blaze Red Crystal
(Chrysler)

Anyhow it is not a perfect match, but I would say its 90% the same.
I intend on painting my headlight moles black but I covered one of the scratches with the paint and I find it hard to tell the difference. The other spot is on the grab rail and I think it’s practically invisible, unless I pointed it out.

Would I do it again? Yes. If I find another small scratch I would use it.
Is it perfect? No. There is a color difference, but slight and only noticeable in some light. As you can tell in the pictures where i experimented with different flashes and light settings you get a slightly more or less noticeable appearance. However it is only noticeable on the mole.
Would I recommend it? If you want a cheap experimental bottle of quality touch up paint ($9.51 taxes in), go for it. If you’re a perfectionist, I would recommend getting something different.

Anyhow, use at your own discretion. It is only a suggestion.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
Another member found that ford makes a color that was even closer thay used it for mustangs