Average cost of Motorcycle Registration

GrabberBlue71

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everybody I just got back from the Motor vehicles dept. a trip I always loath - the blood suckers bleed me for a whopping $300 for registering my bike I bought in November. Well on the plus my plate now won't expire till late august 2009.

Just curious what that prices runs other folks around here.

BTW - Happy New Year to everybody - Let's have a safe year!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
oh jeeze, i am scared about mine, i have never registered a brand new anything and i have to do it in February

S

sportrider

I just got my renewal notice. I don't remember what I paid last year but it's $92.00 this year.

F250moto

Reaction score
Visit site
I love Oregon! $54 for two years. No matter what I register. My truck was $800 to register my last year in California.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
in NH it goes by value and weight, so the weight should not be an issue but the value is highest the first year on vehicles and then drops year after year for the first 7 years and then it bottoms out.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I love Oregon! $54 for two years. No matter what I register. My truck was $800 to register my last year in California.

All lot of the tour buses in the entertainment industry registers their million dollar coaches in Oregon for that reason. It's a cheap flat rate regardless of the value, and it's for two years. Also no sales tax either in Oregon. Here in Nevada, it's a yearly thing, and it's based on the value of the vehicle. It was like $600 to register my Dodge truck back in '04. Plus, you have go get a yearly smog check too, which is another $30. When I registered my bike, I had them prorate my cost against the credit I had left on my truck. I'll have a better idea wha the cost will be in a few months when my registration is up.

H

HavBlue

Check the fees associated with your actual registration. Had I to simply register the bike mine would be about $80.00 for 2 years with a personalized plate but that doesn't include things like school taxes that get thrown on to the registration for the vehicle; which are actually more than the reg. It is because of all the additional crap that I pay $97 per year for the FZ6 and $109 for the Harley

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
when you guys say register...is it the same as taxing your vehicle like over here in Europe?

I pay only two things per year, Tax and Insurance.

Tax is 50 euro and Insurance is 1300 euro...OUCH!!

In 10 years I'll pay my licence fee for another 10 years...that fee is about 25 euro

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in the UK we also have to have vehicles tested (MOT) once they are 3 years old and for every year after that. They check things like bearings, emissions, lights, reflectors, corrosion etc. It is about £35. You can not tax the vehicle without an MOT, or Insurance for that matter.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
when you guys say register...is it the same as taxing your vehicle like over here in Europe?

I pay only two things per year, Tax and Insurance.

Tax is 50 euro and Insurance is 1300 euro...OUCH!!

In 10 years I'll pay my licence fee for another 10 years...that fee is about 25 euro
Hi mate,
I beleive that the US and some parts of Europe have to pay a fee just to keep the license plate. We on the othe hand pay road tax. My road tax was £68.00 for the year.
I know that if you buy the bike from new the first owner in the UK has to pay for the initial Plate. I think its about £55.00 bike £88.00 car.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate,
I beleive that teh US and some parts of Europe have to pay a fee just to keep the license plate. We on the othe hand pay road tax. My road tax was £68.00 for the year.
I know that if you buy the bike from new the first owner in the UK has to pay for the initial Plate. I think its about £55.00 bike £88.00 car.

thats a good description of the US registration. the plates "Expire" every year during your month of birth and need to be renewed to still be valid.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thats a good description of the US registration. the plates "Expire" every year during your month of birth and need to be renewed to still be valid.
How come it ties in with your birthday and not when the bike was registered?

H

HavBlue

How come it ties in with your birthday and not when the bike was registered?

They don't do this everywhere. In many states it goes by the date of purchase meaning it follows that month from the time it was first bought. My personalized plates here in Kentucky were December. However, when I went to get the one for the Harley the state had switched back to the birth month which is November. Each state has their own laws.

H

HavBlue

Mine is $45.54 for 12 months renewed every November. I let it expire at the end of November and pay in April so I then get it for around $30. Sweet.

In some states you would be required to file a certificate of non-operation to do this. Get caught with it so much as parked on a public street and you pay the entire year plus the ticket and penalties.