Band of Brothers Video Box Set

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have a very good condition box set to give away. I was fortunate to have got the DVD equivalent at X-mas. This is a brilliant mini series that follows the conception of the 101st parachute regiment and their battles in WWII.

UK VHS system compatible.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
id love to give those to my father who is a vet and only has vhs.
Hi mate,

I don't think USA VHS and UK VHS are the same. The reason I say this is that my Dad (Texan fella) used to send me drag racing home videos. We had to get them converted to a different speed.
If anyone can shed any light on this it would be useful.

Nelly

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Hi mate,

I don't think USA VHS and UK VHS are the same. The reason I say this is that my Dad (Texan fella) used to send me drag racing home videos. We had to get them converted to a different speed.
If anyone can shed any light on this it would be useful.

Nelly

The US uses NTSC, - where UK(Europe) uses PAL.

They are different encoding systems, and are not compatible.

NTSC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC
PAL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

However some (high end) VCR's can play both.

From wiki:

PAL vs. NTSC

NTSC receivers have a tint control to perform colour correction manually. If this is not adjusted correctly, the colours may be faulty. The PAL standard automatically removes hue errors by utilising phase alternation of the colour signal (see technical details), so a tint control is unnecessary. Chrominance phase errors in the PAL system are cancelled out using a 1H delay line resulting in lower saturation, which is much less noticeable to the eye than NTSC hue errors.
However, the alternation of colour information — Hanover bars — can lead to picture grain on pictures with extreme phase errors even in PAL systems, if decoder circuits are misaligned or use the simplified decoders of early designs (to overcome royalty restrictions. Usually such extreme phase shifts do not occur. This effect will usually be observed when the transmission path is poor, typically in built up areas or where the terrain is unfavourable. The effect is more noticeable on UHF than VHF signals as VHF signals tend to be more robust.
A PAL decoder can be seen as a pair of NTSC decoders:

• PAL can be decoded with two NTSC decoders.
  • By switching between the two NTSC decoders every other line it is possible to decode PAL without a phase delay line or two phase-locked loop circuits.
  • This works because one decoder receives a colour sub carrier with negated phase in relation to the other decoder. It then negates the phase of that sub carrier when decoding. This leads to smaller phase errors being cancelled out. However, a delay line PAL decoder gives superior performance. Some Japanese TVs originally used the dual NTSC method to avoid paying royalty to Telefunken.
  • PAL and NTSC have slightly divergent colour spaces, but the colour decoder differences here are ignored.

• PAL supports SMPTE 498.3 while NTSC is compliant with EBU Recommendation 14.

• The issue of frame rates and colour sub carriers is ignored in this technical explanation. These technical details play no direct role (except as subsystems and physical parameters) to the decoding of the signal.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The US uses NTSC, - where UK(Europe) uses PAL.

They are different encoding systems, and are not compatible.

NTSC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC
PAL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

However some (high end) VCR's can play both.

From wiki:

PAL vs. NTSC

NTSC receivers have a tint control to perform colour correction manually. If this is not adjusted correctly, the colours may be faulty. The PAL standard automatically removes hue errors by utilising phase alternation of the colour signal (see technical details), so a tint control is unnecessary. Chrominance phase errors in the PAL system are cancelled out using a 1H delay line resulting in lower saturation, which is much less noticeable to the eye than NTSC hue errors.
However, the alternation of colour information — Hanover bars — can lead to picture grain on pictures with extreme phase errors even in PAL systems, if decoder circuits are misaligned or use the simplified decoders of early designs (to overcome royalty restrictions. Usually such extreme phase shifts do not occur. This effect will usually be observed when the transmission path is poor, typically in built up areas or where the terrain is unfavourable. The effect is more noticeable on UHF than VHF signals as VHF signals tend to be more robust.
A PAL decoder can be seen as a pair of NTSC decoders:

• PAL can be decoded with two NTSC decoders.
  • By switching between the two NTSC decoders every other line it is possible to decode PAL without a phase delay line or two phase-locked loop circuits.
  • This works because one decoder receives a colour sub carrier with negated phase in relation to the other decoder. It then negates the phase of that sub carrier when decoding. This leads to smaller phase errors being cancelled out. However, a delay line PAL decoder gives superior performance. Some Japanese TVs originally used the dual NTSC method to avoid paying royalty to Telefunken.
  • PAL and NTSC have slightly divergent colour spaces, but the colour decoder differences here are ignored.

• PAL supports SMPTE 498.3 while NTSC is compliant with EBU Recommendation 14.

• The issue of frame rates and colour sub carriers is ignored in this technical explanation. These technical details play no direct role (except as subsystems and physical parameters) to the decoding of the signal.
Thanks that is a very comprehensive break down.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have a very good condition box set to give away. I was fortunate to have got the DVD equivalent at X-mas. This is a brilliant mini series that follows the conception of the 101st parachute regiment and their battles in WWII.

UK VHS system compatible.

Nelly
Well one year and six days since posting this. I have finally got the Video's to Humps (aka Daniel) in Australia. I was trying to post them out to him, but due to the weight it was just not cost effective. In the mean time we moved to Ireland etc etc. This year one of my sister in laws friends came home to Ireland from Australia. Mauve was only to happy to take them back to Oz in her luggage and post them on. Brilliant. It took a while but they got there lol.
Happy viewing Daniel.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just like the Royal mail and the pony express lol. It's got to get through.

Nelly:thumbup:

Quapla'

PewPew Lazors!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Came across this revived post while surfing the site :D and wanted to mention that mister Hanks & Spielberg are almost done with a new miniseries called: The Pacific.

So if you liked Band of Brothers you will surely like this to me thinks ;)

HBO Online