Battery Life

Battery life

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here's a question for all. I have an '07 with the original battery (which at this point still appears to function as new). When I put the bike away for the Winter - usually mid November to early March [here in Michigan], I pull the battery out of the bike and let it vacation on a shelf in our 65 degree basement (oh, and I charge it once a month or so).

Is this overkill? Would it be enough to leave it in the bike in the garage with a trickle charger connected. This would mean exposure to temps as low as -10F (-23C).

Hi RJO, batteries love trickle charging (especially from "intelligent" chargers), but don't like icing up, so I would treat the battery to a nice warm dry home and a charge up every month or so. I think this would get the best life out of it. Ideally I'd trickle charge it in warm conditions, but as long as it's kept from freezing I think it'll be fine!

my car batteries rarely last 3 years. If I get 5 out of the bike battery I will be stoked. Given the harsh nature of the Australian climate, I was asking my bros and babes down under for their opinions.
Cheers

Yep I generally replace batteries after 3 years to play it safe. People think I'm mad but I grew up being stranded in cars with flat batteries, and I choose not to push or jump start, so I replace!

I've found that (not that I've had many) the original battery in a new car can last 5 years, and it tends to be a maintenance free "calcium" lead acid battery. Once you replace that with a standard battery, it'll only last 3 years, imho.

An interesting (or useless, depending on your point of view...) bit of info came from Dr Karl, the science geek from ABC and Triple J. He once put a small bank of solar cells on the bonnet of his car, and was able to extend the battery life up to around 5 years.

A lithium battery? Cool, do you have any links for lithium motorcycle batteries, Sonic? It's the first time I've heard of them, and I'm intrigued!

BB

Sorry, I did not realize that I had my options set so that replying in a thread did not automatically subscribe me! I just now found it again and saw all these new posts.

Race Batteries for Sale!! Check it out! - CMRA BBS

Martin Racing Motorcycle Battery - Lithium Technology : eBay Motors (item 330425776887 end time May-19-10 23:52:19 PDT)

Back