Battery tender wiring harness route

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
As winter approaches, I've purchased a battery tender for my bike. The harness is 24". However, you really only have about 18" of effective distance to work with.

Originally I thought I would run this back to under the seat, but it is not long enough. Any suggestions for the best route to use without it either getting bound up, frictioned, or melted?

What has worked for you?

Also on one of the post, somebody mentioned that there is a block on the back of the terminal bolts that falls off?

08 FZ6.

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of people on here do it the same way I have so that's probably a good start.

Imagine you are sat on the bike looking down at the battery (so the positive is on the right hand side, negative on the left). The positive lead comes from the terminal, round the back of the battery in the channel between it and the airbox, to come out on the left hand corner. Negative lead comes from the left hand side (negative terminal) straight back to the same corner. Then the two leads run down the left hand side and are cable tied in place at that gap you can see when the petrol tank is down between it and the frame.

Then with the tank all back in place, to plug in you just hook the end of the lead out through that gap with a finger. When not in use push it back and it's out of sight.

Watch out when taking the battery terminal off. I dropped mine inside the frame the first time and it took 3 hours of dismantling everything to get it out. I now always keep a magnetic pickup tool handy when I'm working in there now.

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys thanks for the replys. I finished up (as I want to go riding!) before you replied. Currently, I ran out the left side between the tank and the frame, behind the tank front bolt. It should be ok and seems far enough away from the steering column. If anyone is interested, maybe I post a couple of pictures. I'll give it some more thought base on your replies and if I'm not happy, I will change.

Taking the faring off and lifting the tank (with it near empty) was pretty easy.

Used may magnetic tool to lift the terminal nuts up and then placed some cut up pieces of plastic ties underneath. Secured bolt and pulled them out.

Had about a 1/2 gallon of gas in the tank. Nothing leaked out of overflows.

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of photo's on how I have it set up. It just seems that would be a more "finished" solution (without drilling or cutting, maybe next year). If you see anything wrong with it, I'd like to hear or I'm sure others would like to know other options.

I put the excess cable wrapped in the small space above the battery. Unfortunately not long enough to reach to under the seat.

View attachment 23434

I ran the harness out left behind the tank fastener.

View attachment 23435

The photo shows the connector pulled out. When riding I pushed it over to the right back under the tank slightly.

View attachment 23436

As it is now, it is easy to reach and attach to the charger cable.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I have my sae connector sticking out close to my handlebars. It doesn't get in the way or anything. This way, I can also attach an SAE to 12v power outlet for my gps. See the pics.
Also, x47b3207, there is no need to remove your tank to get to your battery!
If you search the forums you can find some instructions on how to lift up your tank. If you do it right you don't have to remove the fairings.
Aw hell, here you go....

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/1666-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-2-a.html
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...536-installing-battery-tender.html#post221081
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...536-installing-battery-tender.html#post221082

:thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
To the OP, I had the same problem with the Battery Tender lead wire coming off the battery not being long enough to reach under the seat. Fortunately, I found that Powerlet makes an extension wire that plugs right into the lead wire and that gives you more than enough length to reach back there (I believe it's a 18-inch extension, but don't quote me on that...lol).

I wanted it under the seat because I've got one of those dual Powerlet leads that has both the SAE plug for the Battery Tender and a 12v cigarette lighter socket for my GPS plug. So, before a ride, I just raise the seat and plug in my GPS power cord (which follows the Battery Tender wire to the front of the tank, only in reverse). In the winter when I need to plug in the Battery Tender, I just remove the seat and plug it in. Out of sight, out of mind.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of my setup and post them up for you.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
mine runs right out from the front of the tank between the two tank bolts, and gets tucked back in when not in use. Although i dont remember having 24" of lead to play with. No problems in that location.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of photo's on how I have it set up. It just seems that would be a more "finished" solution (without drilling or cutting, maybe next year). If you see anything wrong with it, I'd like to hear or I'm sure others would like to know other options.

I put the excess cable wrapped in the small space above the battery. Unfortunately not long enough to reach to under the seat.

View attachment 23434

I ran the harness out left behind the tank fastener.

View attachment 23435

The photo shows the connector pulled out. When riding I pushed it over to the right back under the tank slightly.

View attachment 23436

As it is now, it is easy to reach and attach to the charger cable.

I did the same thing as you have done however mine is longer. I tuck it in between the wires in the harness inside the left side of the fairing and when i plug it in i just pull it out the bottom of the fairing above the radiator and plug it in. Never had an issue with and melting etc.

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
And I repeat my standard advice to make sure that you expose the fuse block so that you don't have to move the tank to get to it. You'll invariably blow a fuse or two.

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
Watch out when taking the battery terminal off. I dropped mine inside the frame the first time and it took 3 hours of dismantling everything to get it out. I now always keep a magnetic pickup tool handy when I'm working in there now.

Ya so I should've read this post before I put on my tender. I got the positive off and immediatly dropped the screw into the bike, good thing Lowes was on my list of places to hit today. I think my battery may be dead however so just to be safe if it doesn't charge I ordered a new one today too.

Dino

Reaction score
Visit site
mine runs right out from the front of the tank between the two tank bolts, and gets tucked back in when not in use. Although i dont remember having 24" of lead to play with. No problems in that location.

That's how I run mine too. I stuck it through the opening in the flat metal cable guide (must have a name - but I can't think of it) so it doesn't fall down.